Hiking partner: Kings Canyon-JMT-Whitney Portal Mid Jun '09
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sikandar Shaikh
(ss_bkpkr) - F

Locale: Upstate NY
Hiking partner: Kings Canyon-JMT-Whitney Portal Mid Jun '09 on 03/15/2009 10:14:45 MDT Print View

Looking for a partner for a backpack from Kings Canyon/Roads End through the Southern JMT to Whitney and out at the Portal. Ideally Jun 15-20, '09

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Hiking partner: Kings Canyon-JMT-Whitney Portal Mid Jun '09 on 03/15/2009 11:01:07 MDT Print View

I might be interested. Though you might want to reconsider the dates. Their is still quite a bit of snow on the passes and I would imagine Forrester Pass would be a interesting challenge as well as Trail Crest, but not as much

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Hiking partner: Kings Canyon-JMT-Whitney Portal Mid Jun '09 on 03/15/2009 20:19:25 MDT Print View

I might like to go if you can go after June 30th.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: Hiking partner: Kings Canyon-JMT-Whitney Portal Mid Jun '09 on 03/15/2009 21:15:35 MDT Print View

It's a beautiful trip I wouldn’t mind doing again.

Are you going the roads end, paradise, woods creek, rae lakes, forester route or roads end, vidette meadows, forester?

I agree with Ken snow in june is something to be considered.

Edited by FastWalker on 03/15/2009 21:19:17 MDT.

Michael Whiteside
(ruralbackpacker) - F

Locale: Northern California
Hiking partner: Kings Canyon-JMT-Whitney Portal Mid Jun '09 on 03/16/2009 09:34:33 MDT Print View

Just curious, since you are from NY, how are you planning on getting to Kings Canyon?

I hiked the JMT last summer and that part of the trail is incredible.

Good luck with the snow.

Michael

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
snow. on 03/16/2009 10:58:37 MDT Print View

Given the rain/snow we've had lately, there definitely will be some snow up there in mid June, especially on the north sides of passes. And Forester can seem a little daunting with lots of snow.

That said, the snow will be well-consolidated, makes everything lovely and pictures fantastic, and it's not really too much to deal with. And it makes those glissades down the back side of the pass good fun!

Depending on the snow levels, you'll probably/definitely want a lightweight ice axe with you, and the knowledge of how to correctly use one. Some spots (like the tongue of snow below Forester) could be fatal if you slipped on the snow.

Defintely chat with folks on here and the Whitney Portal message board about snow levels as it gets closer, and you can also check the PCT Postholer web page for snow survey information to get a general idea of how thigns are melting out.

Sikandar Shaikh
(ss_bkpkr) - F

Thanks for all the insight; here's some details about the plan on 03/16/2009 12:13:48 MDT Print View

First: my trip dates are constrained by other factors.
Next: travel: JetBlue(free)to Oakland; Amtrak to Fresno;
Fresno to Road's End, TBD; (Local volunteers??)
Family from Whitney back to Orange County.
Route: Road's End-Paradise-(how can one pass up a trip to Paradise)-Rae Lakes-Glen Pass-Vidette-Forrester-Whitney.
Alternates/Contingencies:
Glen Pass iced over: Call family for pick-up at Road's End
(I carry a Satellite Phone.)
Forrester is an ice slide: Find the High Sierra Trail.
Would crampons be an effective alternative to an ice axe?
I'll tune my snow/ice sensors flying over the Sierra.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
ice axe. on 03/16/2009 12:34:25 MDT Print View

> Would crampons be an effective alternative to an ice axe?

Well, I'm only an early summer snow person and no mountaineer, but my answer to this would be a big NO.

Crampons can be helpful to keep you from slipping, but do nothing from there (and can be very dangerous when sliding). The ice axe is there to prevent slips (support/self belay) and stop falls once they start (self arrest).

Crampons are good for hard, icy conditions, which are rare in the High Sierra in early summer - most snow is well-consolidated, and softens up very quickly in the morning. I've carried and used them before, but typically just for descending hard, icy snow off a pass first thing in the morning; if I didn't have them, I just would've timed it differently or waited a bit for the snow to soften up in the sun.

As always, an ice axe is little good if you don't know to use it, and have practiced the skills.

les lloyd
(denaliguide) - F

Locale: new zealand & alaska
ice axe or crampons? on 03/16/2009 14:29:17 MDT Print View

as a guide on denali with 13 summits heres my 2 cents worth. i would rather have an ice axe than the crampons. you wont need the crampons for long or very often and would not be worth the weight. you can cut huge steps with the axe if you need to cross any snow. also if you do any glissading the axe is a neccessary tool. just make sure you know how to do a self arrest. otherwise you should probably wait till later in the day and the snow softens up. then just plunge step or kick steps.

Edited by denaliguide on 03/16/2009 14:33:16 MDT.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Re: Thanks for all the insight; here's some details about the plan on 03/16/2009 17:56:47 MDT Print View

Sikandar-

Once the day is set let me know I should be able to get us a ride from Fresno Amtrak to Roads End (I'll be arriving Fresno Amtrak too) I'll be coming up from Orange County

-Roger

Edited by FastWalker on 03/16/2009 17:58:03 MDT.

Robert Blean
(blean) - MLife

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Re: Thanks for all the insight; here's some details about the plan on 03/16/2009 18:50:19 MDT Print View

> Would crampons be an effective alternative to an ice axe?

In a word, NO.

Other posts are good -- just one thing to add -- crampons can help prevent slipping in the right conditions. However, once you do slip they are no help. You will want to self-arrest with that ice axe while keeping your crampons up in the air before you catch them on something and hurt yourself.

-- MV

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Thanks for all the insight; here's some details about the plan on 03/16/2009 20:02:13 MDT Print View

Bob is right. Once you self arrest with crampons you are SOL. The thing about self arrest is that you also dig your feet into the snow as hard as you can. With crampons on, it is rather hard to do.

The snow will be an issue. Dunno if you have ever crossed Forester before, but it is a sight to see, and you are left wondering how the heck they built the trail over it. I am not trying to disuade you, it's just that it is dangerous. An option that could help. If Forester is impassable,You could cross over Kearsarge and hitch to town. Less stressful but unfortunately less fun than crossing Trailcrest and summiting Whitney. Good luck on your trip. I cannot attend due to the date.

Sikandar Shaikh
(ss_bkpkr) - F

Seems like we have a team; more details via PM on 03/17/2009 19:12:46 MDT Print View

Roger,
Thanks for your response.
Would you like to make further communication via PM?
I entered the email adr. in my profile.

R Alsborg
(FastWalker) - MLife

Re: Seems like we have a team; more details via PM on 03/17/2009 23:36:26 MDT Print View

sure

Andrew Schroeer
(idefix04) - F
Ice Axe/Crampons Bishop Pass on 05/05/2009 12:29:53 MDT Print View

I am planning on traversing Bishop Pass the first week of June. Would anybody do this without an ice axe or crampons?

Thanks.

Sikandar Shaikh
(ss_bkpkr) - F

Date change: July 13-18; no snow hopefully on 05/09/2009 08:57:05 MDT Print View

I have changed the planned dates; starting Jul.13; finish Jul. 18. 'Postholer' averages show no snow in Southern JMT in July. Glenn/Forrester passes?
Reservations already made: Jet Blue to Long Beach.
Best ride so far from Fresno to Roads End is Yellow Cab.

Peter Burke
(Fishmonger) - F

Locale: Midwest
there won't be much snow in mid june on 05/19/2009 12:04:15 MDT Print View

68% of normal - the first PCT hikers will probably be over Forester in the first week of June, followed by the rest of the bunch. The Snow is melting fast again, just like last spring. Tioga Pass will open for the coming weekend.

see for yourself - there's actually more snow in Yosemite than in Kings Canyon:

http://tenaya.ucsd.edu/tioga/

I have never had a problem with the high passes in mid june when snow was below 100%.

Edited by Fishmonger on 05/19/2009 12:06:32 MDT.