Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2 on 03/13/2009 15:34:18 MDT Print View

This one has the "StarLyte burner modified to receive a rigid type fuel tube.
The tube has a lock washer of a type that will prevent it's backward movement while in operation within the burner.
The stainless steel pot support is affixed to the aluminum cat food can
The burner is affixed to the aluminum can. This is a one piece stove. Nothing moves accept the fuel tube. User friendly, no pieces to assemble.
The burner has the ability to receive 1 ounce of fuel by just dumping it in and lighting it if a quick water heat up is wanted. No need to attach a remote fuel source.
For uninterupted fuel usage the fuel tube is easily inserted into the burner.
The stove will boil 2 cups of water in 7 min with 1/2 ounce of fuel without the remote fuel line attached.(under optimum conditions) results vary by pot size and material.

The stove weighs 1 ounce and is 3.25" in diameter and is 2" high. Nice diameter for larger size pots, very stable.

Photos of the stove burning will follow along with a video as soon as I can get to it.

<center>
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
</center>

I do not have a vested interest in this stove.

Edited by zelph on 03/13/2009 15:35:30 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2 on 03/13/2009 15:39:59 MDT Print View

Hey Dan,
Where can I get one of these?

Matthew Roberts
(matthewjamesroberts) - F

Locale: San Fernando Valley
I like it on 03/13/2009 20:27:23 MDT Print View

Oooo. I like it.

I ordered a .5L Platy to use as my IV bag. I picked up some 1/8" silicone tubing and an 1/8" aluminum shaft today.

I'm starting to work on my adjustable stove too :)

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: I like it on 03/13/2009 21:47:52 MDT Print View

Super!!!!, let's have some fun Matthew. Let's fire them up and do some serious cookin = ) Let's watch the water boil!!!!

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2 on 03/14/2009 08:59:07 MDT Print View

how do you regulate the amount of fuel going into the stove? or does it just absorb as necessary?

Matthew Roberts

IV control on 03/14/2009 11:12:01 MDT Print View

One way is to use a roller valve found on IV infusion kits.Disposable Infusion Kit

It's the white box in the photo above. The roller pinches the silicone tube at various intervals.

Matthew Roberts

Question on 03/14/2009 11:15:08 MDT Print View

Okay Zelph:

I've got a tricky question with a problem I'm having. My design requires a 90degree bend in the thin aluminum tubing that feeds to the stove.

My 1/8" aluminum tube is pinching on itself when I bend it. I can't bend the tube and keep the passage open at the same time.

I need help on how to properly bend thin 1/8" aluminum tube (from a hobby shop - fragile stuff).

So far my best guess is for me to buy some cable wire to thred into the tube before heating it and bending it. I'm hoping this will allow it to keep it's shape. I could then pull the cable wire out of the tube once the hot metal has hardened. - haven't tried this yet]]

Edited by matthewjamesroberts on 03/14/2009 11:15:51 MDT.

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Bending fragile tube on 03/14/2009 11:25:51 MDT Print View

Freeze water in the tube before bending it over some sort of mandrel and the tubing shouldn't collapse.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Question on 03/14/2009 11:37:20 MDT Print View

I believe that with larger tubing they used to fill them with sand, heat, and bend, then take the sand out. Don't know about 1/8" tubing. I suppose you could fill it with talcum powder (talc) and try that. Talc's melting point is 1500 C so you should be able to heat it ok.

-Mark

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Bendable Tubing on 03/14/2009 14:03:16 MDT Print View

There is small diameter soft aluminum tubing that readily bends to any shape you want. A half inch radius is no problem.

The stuff I have came with some pressure gauges. I don't have clue what it is called technically or where to get it. Google - soft aluminum tubing coil - to get started.

If you are going to be doing a lot of this, it would be worth the effort to track it down.

Edited by greg23 on 03/14/2009 14:11:05 MDT.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Question on 03/14/2009 14:37:10 MDT Print View

Why not just get a tubing bender? They are made specifically for the application and are relatively cheap.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/HZ/search/DUB785.html

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Question on 03/14/2009 14:41:56 MDT Print View

You won't need one if you can find the soft aluminum.

I just remembered that it may be available as part of the kit that is used to plumb a refrigerator.

Which also suggests that soft copper, readily available, might also work.

Matthew Roberts

great idea on 03/14/2009 15:55:26 MDT Print View

hobbie tube bender

This is a great idea. Thanks.

I may try the talc first.

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2 on 03/14/2009 19:49:27 MDT Print View

This type of stove should be available soon as the internet passes it around and folks start to produce them.

Bend the tubing by annealing the tube where the bend is to be. Insert a rod into the tube of the proper size, use a crimping tool to crimp/flatten the area to be bent. remove the inner tube and fill aluminum tube with sand. Carefully bend, do a visual while bending, if it looks like it might fail hit t again with a micro torch for a second or two and then retry.

I'll see if I can get a video of the fuel source by Monday. Not enough time in the day to get things done ; )

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: great idea on 03/14/2009 20:48:14 MDT Print View

Hi Matthew

I think I understand the hobby tube bender, but only when used to make a single bend. How does it make those bits with two+ bends?
Or maybe I don't understand it.

Cheers

Matthew Roberts

... on 03/14/2009 21:01:06 MDT Print View

move the tube...bend again.

Matthew Roberts

FAIL on 03/14/2009 22:00:26 MDT Print View

boy if I had a picture for everyone of these stoves that fail tonight.

I've started operating in tin trays to minimize flame control. I get an idea, drill it up...the silicone tubing bursts open spilling all of the fuel into the tray, the small fire hazard is contained to a corner of my kitchen.

I'm glad my wife is out of town tonight...

this is messy business.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: ... on 03/14/2009 23:42:08 MDT Print View

> move the tube...bend again.

In that case I don't think I quite understand how the bender works. It looks interesting. Can you show a close-up pic of how it works, with a tube in place? Please!

Cheers

Mark Edgren
(mackgren) - F
tube bend on 03/15/2009 01:40:14 MDT Print View

Hey Matthew,
I have had to bend some even smaller copper tube lately for my own stove project. The best way I found is to anneal the tube right where you want to bend it, and no where else. Basically I use a micro torch, heat the spot I want to bend to a near glowing red, let it cool on its own...and then bend with a mini tubing bender. Perfect bends..and no sand or talc powder in the process. Dont anneal the whole pipe because then the metal becomes too soft. I can post some pics of some crazy bends if you're interested

Edited by mackgren on 03/15/2009 01:41:27 MDT.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
Re: tube bend on 03/15/2009 03:50:51 MDT Print View

Hi Matthew,

I use my fingers, it takes some practice but you can do some very tricky bends with them that are hard to do unless you can make some special bending tools. Below is a picture of some bends that I have done on some difficult to bend hard drawn Stainless Steel hypodermic tube.

Tony

Tube bending example