Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Uh Oh....."Fastpacking"!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Uh Oh....."Fastpacking"! on 03/11/2009 21:24:55 MDT Print View

The term recently came up in a thread, annoying many. A dirty little secret...I have been guilty of many "fastpacking" trips.
I'm completely ambivalent about the term; call me what you will. Maybe it's accurate in some circumstances. Maybe it's pure marketing hype in others.

I found a link to this article about the origins of the term on Anton Krupicka's blog today- it's from a late 80's issue of Ultrarunning Magazine.

I think claiming fame to coining a term is a little hard to prove, but it's a good article nonetheless.

...I'm sure Ray Jardine has claimed he invented and patented it somewhere ;)

http://www.users.qwest.net/~cirnielsen/wind88.html

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Uh Oh....."Fastpacking"! on 03/11/2009 21:45:29 MDT Print View

Not saying you, but just thinking generally that too many folks are too into labeling... HYOH. I care little about these clever (and not so clever) terms.

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Re: Uh Oh....."Fastpacking"! on 03/11/2009 22:43:53 MDT Print View

In that context the term has merit. It bears little resemblance to leaving home the inner wall of a tent. I am curious what was in those fanny packs.

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
any fanny pack, torso pack, or vest gearlists out there? on 03/12/2009 12:50:44 MDT Print View

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
24 pounds in a fanny pack? on 03/12/2009 14:12:48 MDT Print View

From the linked article: "carrying some 18-24 pounds each."

In a fanny pack?

My first sighting of a trail runner was about 1983. I was on the John Muir Trail about 15 trail miles north of Whitney. Late afternoon a guy trots up wearing two fanny packs stacked up. I ask where he's camped and he says he started from the portal (25 miles away) that morning and he's headed for Onion Valley (another 30 miles) with a bivouac somewhere in between.

It sounded crazy at the time.