Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Looking for hiking partners in NY

Display Avatars Sort By:
Inaki ARTAZA
(inakiartaza) - MLife

Locale: Frequent Traveler
Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/11/2009 20:17:09 MDT Print View

Hi everybody! I recently moved to NYC from overseas and am keen on making daytrip hikes or overnight during weekends, just to be out there walking, test gear, plan trips, etc. Thus far, I have been going to Harriman State Park, looks as if it is the closest place around.

Anyone interested in going together one of these days? Is there a group of light backpackers around? I am definitely also looking for new "playgrounds", Harriman is a bit flat... I'd be happy to hear if anyone can suggest other options.

Cheers

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/11/2009 20:42:52 MDT Print View

There's a bunch of us out here in Eastern PA (Lehigh Valley), if you want to get together. My friend lives near Poughkeepsie, and goes to the Catskills often. I heard the Escarpment Trail in the Catskills is a great trip, and Devils Path is killer (pun).

From firsthand knowledge, the Appalachian Trail through NJ is surprisingly beautiful, especially the section along the NY border.

I have to start doing the AT sections through NY and CT soon.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F
Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/11/2009 22:45:46 MDT Print View

I live in Brooklyn and I'm always looking for people to hike with. NYC can be tough - doesn't lend itself to outdoor pursuits too readily.

Still, I get out a good bit.

Harriman is great for day hikes, but a bit flat. The further north you go, the better. The Catskills are great. But the Adirondacks and Whites are best.

Inaki ARTAZA
(inakiartaza) - MLife

Locale: Frequent Traveler
Re: Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/15/2009 18:25:39 MDT Print View

Joe, Dave,
Thanks! I'll be delighted to join you guys if the opportunity arises, definitely. Will keep in touch. Cheers,

Jack Scheckton
(Meestajack) - F

Locale: Brooklyn
Brooklyn too on 03/25/2009 14:22:20 MDT Print View

Live in brooklyn too...

I make it up to the catskills and adirondaks a few times a year, but I'd really love to make it out to western NY or the fingerlakes this summer.

life in the city without a car is rough.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F
Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/25/2009 14:31:24 MDT Print View

>>life in the city without a car is rough.

I'll second that. It makes hiking difficult logistically and really expensive if you end up renting a car.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Re: Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/25/2009 14:38:20 MDT Print View

Just putting it out there...

Have you guys investigated ZipCar for your extra-city travel needs?

I have friends who only use this when they go to the Catskills for hiking or skiing. Granted, leaving the car parked at a trailhead for a multi-day trip can get expensive.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Re: Re: Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/25/2009 14:48:30 MDT Print View

Regular rental compaies are much cheaper for over 24 hrs and 125 miles. But what really gets you is NY tolls.

If anyone from New York ever want to head down South of the Mason Dixier line to Virginia or WV I'm always looking for car shuttling/hiking partners in Shenandoah or Monongalea NF wilderness areas or points south.

NYC Hiker
(NYCHiker) - F

Locale: NYC
Re: Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/26/2009 12:07:41 MDT Print View

For those with no car, the local trail conference (which I assume you are all members of, right? hint hint) has a list of hikes accessible via public transportation. When we first started hiking the area, we found that list to be invaluable in finding new areas.

As for rental cars, we use Zipcar quite a bit. While the rates are relatively high, it sure made sense to go with Zipcar when gas was at $4.00+ (gas is included in the rental fee). With gas cheaper, we price shop more.

The other trick we've learned is to rent cars along the Metro North line if we're going North. The rates are much better than in the city. The penalty is that many places are not open Sundays, so you pay for the car to sit in their lot until Monday when they check it in.

It seems like I spend more time searching for how to get to a place than I do actually planning for the hike.

I'll also add that we went to the Delaware Water Gap on the PA/NJ boarder about a month or so ago and it was wonderful. Tammany is a fun hike and has a great view of the water gap. It's an easy drive along I-80 to the gap. We only did a day-hike, but I hear nothing but good things about Sunfish Pond.

I did a solo overnight in NW Harriman a few weeks ago. I had Bald Rocks shelter to myself (except the inquisitive deer). While the peaks are not exactly high, there are a few trails that follow really nice ridge lines with clear views.

The NYNJTC recently redesigned their webpage. If you can't find hiking partners on BPL, check out the forum on their site. Also, there is a Yahoo! group devoted to hikes in Harriman. People announce trips there nearly every day. I've never been out with them before, but it seems like they have a wide range of hikes. Finally, if you're single, check out Harriman Hikers. They have been around for a long time and do overnights every few weeks it seems.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Re: Re: Looking for hiking partners in NY on 03/26/2009 12:20:59 MDT Print View

To plug another group, the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC, outdoors.org) has a NYNJ Chapter. They list most of their hikes with public transit options.

Public transit and the groups do have their drawbacks, with regards to travel time and a "late" starting time (9, 10am), to allow all trip-registered and mass-transit members time to arrive at the trailhead.

Me, I like the groups, but sometimes can't stand the start times. Sometimes I like to be on the trail by 7am.

Peter Gurin
(intheswim) - F
Albany, NY on 03/31/2009 19:40:13 MDT Print View

Hey Inaki ARTAZA ,
I'm live in Albany, NY and catskills are only 1 to 1.5 hours away. Give me a shout if you headin this way.

Cheers,
-Pete
piotr_bentley@yahoo.com

Eddie Hollander
(HaChayalBoded) - F
Re: Brooklyn too on 06/06/2009 13:57:34 MDT Print View

>>life in the city without a car is rough..

Since moving to back to Brooklyn nearly 10 years ago I have yet to own a 4 wheeled vehicle. I do own several motorcycles though. Consider a small motorcycle, they're cheap to buy, cheap on gas and almost nothing on insurance (I pay $300 and change to insure 4 bikes, the first is just over $100 the others added on are $50 extra.

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F
Looking for hiking partners in NY on 06/06/2009 15:58:45 MDT Print View

>>Consider a small motorcycle

But can you ride a motorcycle to the 'Dacks with gear for a backpacking or climbing trip?

If so, well...