Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net? on 03/10/2009 17:39:40 MDT Print View

I was at the craft store where I saw rolls of the kind of stuff you make ballet tutus out of. There were both kinds, the kind with bigger holes and the kind with very tiny holes.

I was wondering if there's any appreciable difference between these fabrics and the fabric used for mosquito and no-see-um netting. Do you know?

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net? on 03/10/2009 17:46:20 MDT Print View

Good quality no-seeum netting should be a lot tougher than tule. Ballerina's don't roll around in the dirt as much as backpackers.

Scott Littlefield
(sclittlefield) - F

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine
bug netting on 03/10/2009 19:15:18 MDT Print View

Yup, it won't be as rugged, but if your application is one where you won't be rolling around on the ground with it, you may find it works just fine - so long as the holes are small enough for the little buggers in your neck of the woods.

I am using something similar for my hammock bug netting. Really, most anything with small enough holes will work.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net? on 03/10/2009 22:48:36 MDT Print View

I want a net with mosquito netting instead of noseeum. The noseeum stops a light breeze, and we don't have noseeums.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net? on 03/10/2009 23:06:18 MDT Print View

There were two kinds of ballerina netting at the craft store. One had larger holes like traditional mosquito netting and the other had very tiny holes. The tiny kind was only $1.29 a yard. I didn't look at the other, but I'm sure it was probably similar in price.

I wouldn't be rolling on it. I won't be sewing any zippers or anything like that in it either. I think I'll give it a try. It's very light. They had both dark green and black, too. The only thing I didn't check was how wide the fabric was.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Re: Is there a difference between tule and mosquito net? on 03/12/2009 15:48:22 MDT Print View

Tule is delicate, but very light. Fine for bugs bigger than noseeums. It tears easily and works better with some reinforcement - like silnylon for the ridgeline and drawstring hems if you use them. I use it for prototyping net designs.