Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tin can for a pot
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Tin can for a pot on 03/08/2009 22:14:02 MDT Print View

Today I washed out a tin soup can to use as a pot and put it on my kitchen range to heat and really dry it out. I noticed that it developed scorch marks on both the interior and exterior. This never happened when heating the can with water in it. Anybody know if there is some chemical on the surface of these cans that burns with higher heat? If so, is this stuff leeching into the water that I boil for food and is it carcinogenic?

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

Locale: San Diego
aluminum? can for a pot on 03/09/2009 00:58:57 MDT Print View

yes it probably does have a coating. What was in it to start with?

There might be better options, though probably not any cheaper ones.

Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
tin can for a pot on 03/09/2009 08:27:16 MDT Print View

It was a Progresso Chicken noodle soup can.

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F - M

Locale: Northern Virginia
scorch marks on 03/09/2009 08:43:40 MDT Print View

Are the scorch marks actually black carbon? If you rub it with a piece of white cloth or paper towel, does it smudge the cloth?

The steel will discolor from the high temperatures you'll get when you heat a pot without water in it.

If you make sure there is always some water in the pot, it can't get any hotter than it did when the food that came in it was processed.

If you're worried about it, set your oven to the highest temperature possible (over 500) and bake the pot in it for a couple of hours. Then scrub it out with a steel wool pad to remove the coating.

Edited by herman666 on 03/11/2009 07:15:20 MDT.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Tin can for a pot on 03/10/2009 14:31:52 MDT Print View

Dennis,
There was a very comprehensive thread just a month ago, regarding this very subject.

I don't know how to search for it but perhaps you can find it.

There is a coating which is in most all food cans. You should never "cook" them dry. It might be best if you toss this one and search out the thread before going further.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Re: Tin can for a pot on 03/10/2009 23:11:27 MDT Print View

They coat most cans with plastic now. But some foods they do not. You might be able to search on which foods are not in coated cans.