Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Goblin Valley State Park + Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons

Display Avatars Sort By:
Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
Goblin Valley State Park + Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons on 03/07/2009 16:18:27 MST Print View

Text, photos, video.

Edited by milesbarger on 03/07/2009 16:19:00 MST.

Carlos Figueroa
(cfigueroa) - F

Locale: Santa Cruz Area
Re: Goblin Valley State Park + Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons on 03/09/2009 22:48:03 MDT Print View

Edward, this is a fantastic post of your canyon's trip. I loved how your setup your images and especially the movie clip with the music. It really felt like I was in the canyon walking along with you. Great job!

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Thanks on 03/09/2009 22:55:29 MDT Print View

I really enjoy your trip reports....keep it up.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: Goblin Valley State Park + Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons on 03/09/2009 23:03:05 MDT Print View

Now thats how a trip report should be done!
Sets a new standard.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Goblin Valley State Park ... Trip Report on 03/10/2009 06:00:51 MDT Print View

Very well done, great trip report. Do you have a gear list you used for this trip? I would have liked to of seen pictures of your camp sites and water sources. With not having had the opportunity to hike in this type of desert environment I always find such trip reports very interesting.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Goblin Valley SP on 03/10/2009 06:58:49 MDT Print View

Looks like some place they would film Mars movies.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Goblin Valley SP on 03/10/2009 12:12:06 MDT Print View

Joe,
Rent the movie 'Galaxy Quest', with Tim Allen and Sigourney Weaver, to see exactly what you say, and to have a great laugh.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Goblin Valley State Park on 03/10/2009 12:56:34 MDT Print View

I was going to say Galaxyquest, but I figured I was the only one who had seen it.

Peter Sustr
(czechxpress) - F - M

Locale: Boulder
Goblin Valley State Park on 03/10/2009 16:45:06 MDT Print View

What a great trip report; just the facts and lets you get a sense of the place. I love that area and it was a great teaser for those that haven't been. Thanks again.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Goblin Valley State Park on 03/10/2009 18:39:48 MDT Print View

Based on the comments above, some of you may have missed Miles' Sand Dunes Trip Report.

A high standard indeed.

Thanks Miles.

Edited by greg23 on 03/10/2009 18:42:36 MDT.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Goblin Valley State Park + Little Wild Horse and Bell Canyons on 03/12/2009 10:13:38 MDT Print View

VERY cool. Thanks for sharing!

Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
Thanks on 03/12/2009 13:55:07 MDT Print View

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback! I'm glad ya'll[1] have enjoyed.

Thom:
I don't have a detailed gear list--I have a system that works with gear ready to go any time, so I don't think about it very analytically anymore. However, I can tell you that it was light (~6 lbs) and basic: the only "special consideration" for desert travel was a large (3L) "just in case" water capacity.

These were two day hikes with car camping in between, so I had no camp sites (just slept right at the trailhead, a benefit of BLM land) and brought 1.5 gallons for the ride. I'm not aware of any water sources for this hike or in the nearby area (except for a pump in Goblin Valley SP). That statement implies the main consideration for desert travel: water.

---

I struggle with the philosophical implications of documenting and reviewing experience; in less high-fallutin' terms, I think hard about these things and sometimes choose to stop taking pictures, stop journaling, stop spending time composing posts. I'm also totally without internet access for months at a time. All to say: I can't promise I'll keep it up, but I hope you enjoy when I do.

[1] Living in TN/KY/MS until the age of 11 + English having no differentiated second-person plural = I support the use of ya'll.

Edited by milesbarger on 03/12/2009 13:55:37 MDT.