Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Test post, Teton's overnight, summer '08

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dylan Snodgrass
(TrueNorth)

Locale: San Francisco, CA
Test post, Teton's overnight, summer '08 on 03/07/2009 01:20:46 MST Print View

Here are a few pictures from a quick overnight in the Teton's. I went with my wife and our friend (a local). We do probably 10-14 nights a year in the backcountry. Usually in three or four short trips all during the summer months. Luckily we discovered BPL and are in the process of shedding the excess junk out of our packs. Last summer ('08) saw us down to 25 lbs. for my wife and 30 lbs. for me. Those weighs are for a 5 day trip in the sawtooth mountains and include bringing a full size tent and two bear cans. Anyway... on to our brief sojourn in the Teton's.

We started at the Taggart Lake trailhead
Our group at the Tagggart Lake trailhead

We circled around Taggart Lake and headed off trail.
Tagart Lake

Here we are leaving the lake the trail is still very obvious. You can see Shadow Peak on the right.
Avalanch Canyon

Dylan Snodgrass
(TrueNorth)

Locale: San Francisco, CA
More of our trip on 03/07/2009 01:55:55 MST Print View

Starting up Avalanche Canyon. The climbers trail peters out once you get to the Falls. You can see Shadow Peak on the right.
Avalanch canyon

Some delicious blueberries along the way up Taggart Creek.
Blueberries

Our first glimpse of Shoshoko Falls.
Shoshoko Falls

Typical terrain above treeline until Snowdrift Lake.
Terrain

Above Taminah Lake looking back towards the valley.
above Taminah lake

Racine and Giovannina are dear old friends.
old friends

Racine and I at top of second major elevation gain with Mount Wister in background.D&R Mount Wister

Our campsite at Snowdrift Lake.
camp at Snowdrift Lake

Our next morning agenda.
The pass

It was a little chilly in the morning, the girls are stoked to be in the mountains!
morning girls

Heading up towards the pass between The Wall, and South Teton.
heading towards the pass

Back on to a trail nearish to Icefloe Lake. Heading towards South Fork Cascade Canyon.
back on trail

Sight detour below Icefloe lake to check out some amazing wildflowers. Terrain was challenging only because we picked a steep slot to downclimb.
downclimb

South Fork Cascade Canyon.
south fork cascade canyon

A moose! For us Californians this was pretty cool.
moose

We finished via Cascade Canyon. From inspiration point we took the shuttle boat to Jenny Lake Visitor Center. It was a great overnight trip and left us hungry for more of the Teton's. Luckily it looks like we are heading back this summer for a longer trip. I got the idea for the overnight from this link.
http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=53970

If you have any questions about this route I would be happy to answer them.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Teton Overnighter on 03/07/2009 08:20:32 MST Print View

Awesome pictures seems like beautiful country...

More pictures please!!

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Teton Overnighter on 03/07/2009 09:39:04 MST Print View

judging from the photos I have another place to go to. Nice!!!!

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Test post, Teton's overnight, summer '08 on 03/07/2009 14:09:37 MST Print View

Dylan,
Besides the Trails Illustrated map of the Tetons, do you have any other map recommendations?

Great photos. Beautiful country.

Summer '08 -- July, August ? The weather looks great.

Thanks.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Test post, Teton's overnight, summer '08 on 03/07/2009 15:37:39 MST Print View

Dylan,

Really appreciate your sharing your trip.

I am working this weekend and your photos remind me that there is something in life other than sitting in my cube hour after hour. (grin)

Yes, more photos please!

-Tony

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Test post, Teton's overnight, summer '08 on 03/11/2009 18:49:05 MDT Print View

Great photos. Any comments on how your lighter gear is working, and what else you'd like to reduce?