Forum Index » Gear Swap » FS: McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB w/GPS

Display Avatars Sort By:
Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
FS: McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB w/GPS on 03/06/2009 23:47:24 MST Print View

For sale, A McMurdo Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406 PLB EPIRB w/ Internal GPS Fastfind PLB model 82-825-004A

This is still the current model sold at http://www.landfallnavigation.com/spwff1.html
for $549 if bought from store today. I am selling this for $195.00* and will ship it UPS ground for that price to anywhere in the US.

I accept Paypal but your primary source of payment must be your bank account (otherwise if you used a credit or debit card with my consumer account, I am charged a 4 percent fee and have a annual limit of 5 such transactions). *Cost is $205 via Paypal if you use a credit or debit card as your primary funding Paypal source.

From the web site:

When activated in an emergency the McMurdo Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus 406Mhz alert signal, along with your person identity information and your exact location (within 98 feet), is transmitted to Cospas-Sarsat satellites, and forwarded to a rescue coordination center — typically within 3 minutes. At the same time, its local 121.5 Mhz homing signal begins broadcasting, allowing rescue personnel to find you fast, without any wasted time or effort. The Fastfind Plus is waterproof, of course: its pressure-resistance allows it to be used even by divers, check out the dive canister as well. Has an integral device to fasten to a lifejacket or foul weather gear. Battery is good for 5 years without use, 24 hours constant use, and is user-replaceable. Weighs 11 ounces, measures 3" x 6" x 2.1". FCC Approved July 1, 2003

• Built-in GPS receiver • Weighs just 11 oz. • Global alert to Cospas-Sarsat satellites • 406MHz transmitter • 121.5 MHz homing frequency • Alert time within typically 3 minutes • Positional accuracy to typically 98 feet • Positional updates every 20 minutes • Compact and stylish • Includes battery pack good to +158°F to -4°F (+158°F to -104°F arctic battery pack is available) • User replaceable battery packs

Note: on my scale, it weighs 11.9 oz without the plastic strap that is attached to the PLB, 12.3 oz with the strap.

I am the only owner of this device, it is 18 months old – the battery life is 5 years without use and can be user replaced. The listed battery expiration date on the box for this serial number unit is March 2011.

Compare this with the ACR ResQFix 406 GPS PLB which costs $599 on the web (more if bought locally), you will be spending $350 to save only 1 oz of weight.

To use this device in an emergency in the USA, you need to register the device with http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov – registration form is included in the box. There is no charge to register. Usage is limited only for life-threatening emergencies. For more information, visit http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov

These devices can save your life. According to SarSat, 68 people who used a PLB were rescued in 35 incidents, and along with other people rescued using a variety of signaling devices supported by SarSat, 6,052 have been rescued since the program’s inception.

Original packaging, manual, and carrying case is included, along with a miniature manual that weighs .4 oz is included.

Pictures:

McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB with GPS

Edited by marti124 on 03/07/2009 12:04:29 MST.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

FS: $195 for McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB w/GPS on 03/07/2009 12:05:03 MST Print View

Price lowered.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

FS: $195 for McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB w/GPS on 03/09/2009 17:28:53 MDT Print View

Bump (alerting weekday forum viewers to this great deal). I am putting together an Ebay ad tonight that will replace this offer if nobody jumps on this in the next few hours.

I'll update this if that happens.

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: FS: $195 for McMurdo Fastfind Plus PLB w/GPS on 03/10/2009 21:07:54 MDT Print View

This is now for sale on Ebay as I mentioned it would be if it did not sell here.

Edited by rcaffin on 05/04/2009 16:48:36 MDT.

John Katerenchuk
(jkaterenchuk) - F
Fastfind Plus on 05/04/2009 08:11:22 MDT Print View

Do you still have the Fastfind Plus?

John

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Re: Fastfind Plus on 05/04/2009 08:26:27 MDT Print View

It's gone. You're better off getting the Fastfind Plus 310 (or is it the 210) which is only 5.3 oz in weight, and it is a GPS PLB.

I'm waiting a couple of months to see if Spot comes out with a newer model and to see how it compares with the newer Fastfind Plus.

robert hogrefe
(rhhrhh) - F
new Fast Find 210 PLB w/GPS on 06/21/2009 11:35:04 MDT Print View

Hi, just wondering if you've, or anyone, has gathered any experience, reviews or opinions on this new McMurdo PLB? I've read all I can find about it, but can find no user reviews. My concern, besides it's sinking ability without a lanyard or a floating case, is it's 5 minute rating for waterproofness. I wonder what if I'm in the ocean with a life vest and water splashing all around and onto this PLB, and the transmission is not successful during the first 5 minutes (which can happen depending on ambient conditions, the transmission could be delayed making contact as long as 45 minutes, per literature)? Will it fizzle out after getting wet for 5 minutes? I like the unit's specs otherwise and seems to be pretty user friendly and intelligently designed. Anyone's experience with this unit would really help us to decided to buy one, thanks in advance!

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: new Fast Find 210 PLB w/GPS on 06/21/2009 17:52:46 MDT Print View

http://www.equipped.org/McMurdoNewFastFind.htm

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: new Fast Find 210 PLB w/GPS on 06/21/2009 20:20:02 MDT Print View

Robert,
A bouyancy kit is available for the 210.
The Max G is specific to wet environments.

The details are here.

Neil Jordan
(NJMcMurdo) - F
Re: new Fast Find 210 PLB w/GPS on 06/24/2009 01:13:16 MDT Print View

The Fastfind 200 series PLB waterproof ratings refer to the test applied during Type Approval of the product. The product was successfully subjected to the following tests - immersion to a depth of 10m for 5 minutes and also 1m immersion for 1 hour. The PLB is designed to run/transmit for a minimum of 24hrs at -20C irrespective of whether the beacon is wet or dry.

Kind regards

Neil

John Carter
(jcarter1)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Fastfind Plus on 06/24/2009 10:40:38 MDT Print View

I'm with Roleigh. I'll wait until SPOT comes out with a model with a more sensitive GPS reciever, and can read out GPS coordinates for my own use. Seems silly to to have to carry two GPS's. I'm sure SPOT is concerned about people wasting the battery on tracking themselves all day, only to find the device dead when one actually needs to use it. But still, even a simple LCD readout of the last coordinates that were sent out would be enough to remove my need for a separate GPS device for navigational needs.