Anyone use Taiga Gear?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Febbo
(febbom)
Anyone use Taiga Gear? on 03/06/2009 15:10:59 MST Print View

I just found out that this company exists: https://www.taigaworks.ca/

Their prices for down clothing and bags, actually everything, are very, very competitive. Has anyone used anything from them- any comments on quality and design? Given the prices, I am worried that this is sub-par gear.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Taiga Works... on 03/06/2009 17:42:01 MST Print View

Definitely good quality gear! They make and sell their own gear so you won't find it in other stores (which is why they are not well known). They do not have a huge product line but the gear that they make is top quality and generally designed for hard use and they stand behind their products (I've had great customer service).

I have been buying their gear for many years and while they don't aim at a light weight market, they have some really nice gear.

Stephen Klassen
(SteveYK)
Taiga gear on 03/06/2009 19:15:20 MST Print View

I just sold one down parka, and still have an older one.

Quality is as good as what I have owned from MEC (bush pilot, Northlite), Patagonia (DAS), FF (Helios) Integral Designs (PLQ) and Montbell (Alpine lite). I would definitely recommend the down jackets/parkas. As I said on another thread, the Mont Blanc in Dryloft they are currently selling for $200 is a steal. I would buy one if I didn't already have one (but older, unbaffled).

I have their down booties as well, quality is excellent.

I know their gore-tex bibs from 10 years ago lasts as well. But I don't have experience with anything newer than 5 years.

Some people complain about trying to return items. You'll have to google that. I liked the stuff, so I never returned anything.

I liked the old store better than the new one, even tho the location is slightly more convenient.

Paul Davis
(pdavis) - M

Locale: Yukon, 60N 135W
good design, but shop in person, not by mail on 03/08/2009 22:44:29 MDT Print View

Hi All!

I have had some good bits and pieces of gear from Taiga over the years, however, my experience has been that they are not very mail-order oriented. Here in the North there have been some problems with their ability to follow-through on such things as sleeping bag returns from mail-orders.

So, best to shop in person!

60N 135W