Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Starting Again
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Starting Again on 03/05/2009 12:52:26 MST Print View

Help me out if you can. I haven’t been fishing since I was kid, but as of late I have been intrigued with it again. I live within minutes of NUMEROUS fishing spots here in North Alabama. I have no fishing gear. So what I am looking for hear are some suggestions on basic gear to get started again. I would like to start with something that is a reasonable value and of course packable. Consider a budget of $200 - $300max. Also suggestions for information sources are appreciated (books, web sites, etc…)

Thanks

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Sarting again on 03/05/2009 13:27:31 MST Print View

I just bought 2 UL reels and 2 telescoping poles at Gander Mountain for $75. Despite the marketing, cost doesn't really have an effect on how often fish bite, assuming your rod and reel work.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
What type of fishing? on 03/05/2009 15:01:32 MST Print View

Are you looking for fly fishing gear or spinning gear?

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: What type of fishing? on 03/05/2009 15:14:59 MST Print View

I am interested in fly fishing, but I am not at all familiar with it. I wouldn't mind finding a local outfitter that could direct me, but no matter the type of gear I only feel they want me to buy and move along. So really I am open to all suggestions. I have an old friend that I haven't seen in years that used to fly fish. I intend to look him up, but wanted the instant input from the board.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
Flyfishing on 03/05/2009 16:19:47 MST Print View

Jonathan, You're starting out in the right direction. Use a guide to find the fish, not to suggest gear. Particularly for backcountry fishing you don't need the high end (and highly priced) gear that fly shops tend to stock. Gander Mountain is a good source for basic gear; Reddington and Temple Fork make very good, inexpensive rods. Used gear is often available on eBay. If you can, try to get a four- or five-piece rod, as they are much easier to pack than two- or three-piece. Good luck!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Starting Again on 03/05/2009 16:27:46 MST Print View

Sierra Trading Post

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Starting Again on 03/05/2009 17:03:43 MST Print View

Jonathan, get the book "Curtis Creek Manifesto", it is the best beginner Fly Fishing book out there, even though it was written in the late 70's no one has come up with a better primer then this book. Its the best fishing money you'll ever spend.
Curtis Creek Manifesto

The gear you need should be purchased after you read the book. Then find/buy used equipment until you figure it out. Practice in your back yard 15 minutes a day for a month and when you go out you will be far less frustrated.

Edited by bestbuilder on 03/05/2009 17:08:01 MST.

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
What Tad Said on 03/05/2009 18:32:33 MST Print View

x2. Awesome book. Get bigger / more in depth books later.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: What Tad Said on 03/05/2009 20:26:24 MST Print View

Thanks guys. Book will be on order tomorrow. Any others I could use early on?

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: Starting Again on 03/05/2009 20:54:54 MST Print View

"any old fishing pole" is not what you should get. when it comes to fly fishing, a $60 rod is not going to even come close to a $300 rod. Not even Close!

even if you only fly fish for 2 hours a year, get the best rod you can afford. within your budget, i can confidently say that the "frequent flyer" line from Orvis is going to be a good choice, both in castability, packability, and price.
Its not bamboo, but its light years beyond anything at walmart.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: What Tad Said on 03/05/2009 22:48:50 MST Print View

Jonathan, when I was starting out (Fly Fishing) I read every book in the library I could get. First starting with the newest ones, then after I understood the newest technologies, i.e., Rod material, Fly lines, etc. I read through the older books to get the stuff that never really changes.
Its very similar to lightweight backpacking, there will always be new materials but there is a constant base of information that supports the whole system that never changes much over the years.
Be careful, I can see that you can get slightly obsessed (I've watched you with buying and selling gear). This sickness can run ramped as well with Fly Fishing. I have as much fly Fishing stuff as hiking gear.
I confess, I'm a defeated, consumed man. You too might be heading down that slippery slope.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: What Tad Said on 03/05/2009 23:03:32 MST Print View

I know, I am opening a whole new can of worms. Obsessed might be an understatement for me.

Mark Seeley
(mseeley) - F

Locale: Arizona
Discount Fly Fishing Gear on 03/05/2009 23:08:00 MST Print View

Jonathan, for great prices on very good fly fishing gear, go to:

http://www.flyshopcloseouts.com

Check out the Temple Forks Outfitter rod/reel combos. TFO makes great quality rods at very good prices. You can get a TFO/Orvis rod/reel combo for $200-300 with line.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Starting again on 03/05/2009 23:30:13 MST Print View

Reminds me of the time we were putting in for a Scout canoe trip on the Brazos river. They had just stocked it with trout, and there must have been 20 Range Rovers there, and twice as many guys who looked like they bought everything in the Orvis catalog. And they were kind of cranky (not the right word, but you'd be amazed at what sets off the profanity detector) when 12 canoes floated thru them. Careful JB......you'll end up in a Range Rover, and a tweed jacket.

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: Starting again on 03/05/2009 23:34:57 MST Print View

HAHAHA....Joe let's just say there are no worries of that. I could put a RangeRover sticker on my 1990 rusted out Isuzu Trooper.

I am what they call "differnt" here in Alabama.

Edited by anywayoutside on 03/06/2009 14:39:04 MST.

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: Re: Starting again on 03/11/2009 07:52:09 MDT Print View

I would suggest looking for a local club or a local fly shop. See if they have casting classes or a beginner introdcution course. Any shop that cares would be willing to give you a short tutuorial in fly casting for free. If you haven't been fishing in awhile then it would probably be helpful.

I think going with someone who knows what they are doing or watching others on the stream will really help. You can get tons of information from books and it is very helpful, but no substitue for actually watching and shadowing others. I fish on the tailwaters of Arkansas and primarily on the Little Red. I have learned a lot from watching how others fish. Sometimes there are little tips that you pick up which make a difference.

My number one suggestion.... don't care what others think. If you are having fun then YOU are having fun. Just enjoy fly fishing, and don't take everything too seriously. If it isn't fun, don't do it.

Welcome to a whole new world of gear!

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Re: Starting Again on 03/22/2009 21:51:16 MDT Print View

Ok...Curtis Creek Manifesto is here. Read it. Reading it again...

So my 1st real question in this new world of gear is where do I start. Personally I'm a believer in used gear, but where do I go? Should I cheap out at Cabelas to start, or is it worth a $200 - $250 combo to get started?

Note: I am a gear junkie to the nth degree. Many of you guys know my gear issues, so with that in mind, is it reasonable to start with a $50 - $80 combo and upgrade later?

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
Gear on 03/23/2009 09:33:52 MDT Print View

I would say avoid Cabela's. Though some people do like their outfits.

My suggestion -

Rod: $100-200
Reel: $30-50
Line: $30-50
Leaders, tippet, flies, backing, accessories: $50-100

What type of fish are you planning to fish for and what type of waters do you plan on fishing on? (Rivers, streams, lakes, etc) Are you wanting a 2 piece or 4 piece rod? (Example, are you wanting to backpack with this rod?) Let me know and I can give specific examples of what I would suggest.

Edited by Cloudveil9 on 03/23/2009 09:35:02 MDT.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Starting Again on 03/23/2009 09:52:50 MDT Print View

Aaron,
I would be interested in your advice for a backpacking setup for streams and lakes. Thanks

send a PM and I can visit via email.

Aaron Lastname
(Cloudveil9) - F
Backpacking on 03/23/2009 10:01:05 MDT Print View

Hey Thom,
No problem. Have you read my post in the "Beginning Fly Fishing in the Smokies" thread, right below this thread in the Fishing forum? I assume you mean backpacking for trout, which is kinda what that post was geared toward. Let me know if you have any Q's!