Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
starbucks new instant coffee
Display Avatars Sort By:
victoria maki
(clt1953) - F

Locale: northern minnesota
starbucks new instant coffee on 03/04/2009 05:33:17 MST Print View

I have just finished my second cup of Starbucks instant coffee. I must admit, it is the best instant coffee that I have ever tried, and believe me I have tried them all, trying to find one that taste like actual coffee. I was able to get 4 packages (2 of each flavor) from our local Target Starbucks. They are not for public sale yet, but you can get them through the internet. They are a tad pricey. P.S. I have quite the buzz going on. Must have a bit of caffine.....Should have maybe tried one cup first...

Edited by clt1953 on 03/04/2009 05:36:57 MST.

jason kawaja
(jasonk) - F

Locale: occupied south
diy instant alternative on 03/05/2009 11:52:55 MST Print View

i like to have a large hot cup of coffee in the morning along with some oatmeal when backpacking, especially in cold mornings. in trying to pack light for myself and 3 others (i know, right? guy with biggest backpack syndrome) i have taken instant coffee, dry milk, cocoa, sugar and mixed it all down to a combined powder i place in zip lock bag. it's cheap and simple.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: starbucks new instant coffee on 03/05/2009 12:16:53 MST Print View

It is well worth the cost!

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Re: Starbucks new instant coffee on 03/05/2009 12:44:43 MST Print View

Reading this thread just inticed me to buy 2 boxes of each type. Up until now I've been using my own home roasted specialty coffee, grinding it the day before I left and placing it in individual mini ziploc bags. That's OK on weekend hikes, but most of my hikes are a month long and the ground coffee usually began to deteriorate in taste after the first week. This will simplify things if it's reasonably good.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Starbucks new instant coffee on 03/05/2009 18:22:51 MST Print View

For those of you that don't want to buy a 3-pack before tasting the stuff, ask a barista for a sampler. They've give you an individual packet to try for free.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Samples on 03/05/2009 19:24:24 MST Print View

I picked up some samples today.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I did a full review on our Trailcooking blog today.

Dicentra OPW
(dicentra) - F

Locale: PNW
Hey Moochie on 03/07/2009 18:17:52 MST Print View

Didja get me some? :D

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: Hey Moochie on 03/07/2009 21:10:11 MST Print View

Why yes :-P Heck, I got a ton and am handing it out over on my blog to my readers ;-)

Wesley Witt
(weswitt)

Locale: Northwest
Amazingly Good! on 03/08/2009 21:57:26 MDT Print View

I took some of the new Starbucks VIA instant coffee on a backpacking trip this weekend. It was surprised to find that it was very good. I've been backpacking and climbing for 35 years and have been on coffee quest for many of those years. With this new coffee I think I've found the best solution to a light weight, good tasting, easy to make backpacking coffee. I'll be bringing this on all of my Spring treks this year for sure.

Christopher Graf
(cgraf) - M

Locale: So Cal
Starbucks new instant coffee on 03/10/2009 03:18:43 MDT Print View

I haven't tried it yet...but I will. I need my coffee in the monrning - whether at home or on the trail. My wife is Vietnamse and her family introduced me a fews years ago to Vinacafe instant Vietnamese coffee; you can get it in black of premixed w/ cream and sugar; it has exceptional taste and is very strong - almost expresso level. Here is a link if anyone wants to check them out and compare to other instants out there:

http://www.vinacafebienhoa.com/rd_en.asp?pgid=products_en&groupid=3

Cheers,
Christopher

Edited by cgraf on 03/10/2009 03:20:01 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
starbucks new instant coffee on 03/15/2009 13:16:40 MDT Print View

I tried some at a store last night and it was very drinkable. I bought a three pack of the french roast to try as I like BIG coffee :)

I'll have check with baristas for more samples-- the stuff isn't cheap.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Starbucks new instant coffee on 03/15/2009 14:11:48 MDT Print View

As I wrote above, I started with an order for 4 boxes, 2 Italian Roast and 2 Columbian (12 packages in each). Since each package only makes 8oz, I'll be using 2 in my almost full .550L cup/pot. This will certainly be easier to use on the trail.

Edited by Quoddy on 03/15/2009 14:13:43 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: starbucks new instant coffee on 03/15/2009 14:18:21 MDT Print View

I am not a coffe connoisseur, but do drink a lot of it. I will have to try the SB's. I have found the only tolerable instant coffe for me to be Nescafe Classico Instant Coffee. Sometimes it is in the coffee section at your market, or you may need to try the 'ethnic' foods section.

Scott Smith
(mrmuddy) - MLife

Locale: No Cal
Starbuck's instant coffee on 03/15/2009 14:20:42 MDT Print View

I'm a French Roast drinker... Pretty much can only Drink Starbuck's or Peet's..

As I'm in Ca. had to order on line . and could only choose Italian or Columbia.. Choose the Italian..

Tastes like Starbuck's instant coffee..

BUMMER !!

Guess I'll need to continue to lug around my big freezer bag of Starbuck's

Chris Chastain
(Thangfish) - F

Locale: S. Central NC, USA
starbucks new instant coffee on 03/15/2009 14:36:58 MDT Print View

Man, I gotta try this.
I'm stopping by a SB's tomorrow to check.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Starbuck's instant coffee on 03/15/2009 18:22:49 MDT Print View

"Pretty much can only Drink Starbuck's or Peet's.."

Now if only Peets would make instant coffee...UL coffee Nirvana.

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
not in MN... or most places on 03/15/2009 21:12:03 MDT Print View

The local Starbucks lady informed me today that they don't carry it anywhere in MN. She said it was currently very limited and you couldn't get it in most regions. What? Guess I gotta shop online.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: not in MN... or most places on 03/15/2009 23:13:36 MDT Print View

Dan,

It seems they brought it out in person only in the general Seattle area and was it Boston (or Chicago?). Everyone else has to do mail order.

I am guessing test marketing?

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Re: Re: not in MN... or most places on 03/16/2009 07:15:56 MDT Print View

According to the barista I talked to, it was Chicago.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Re: not in MN... or most places on 03/16/2009 08:49:24 MDT Print View

Yeah, out here - even in the middle of nowhere, since I live on the edge of King County (Seattle's county) both Staruck's had samples. During the first couple days they were handing 4 or more packets on every visit!
-Which is why I did the giveaway a week or so ago :-D I shared the wealth...lol!

We have in stock at the local SB's both the 3 and 12 packs.