Forum Index » GEAR » I've got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathanial Eady
(DaGreekPacker) - F

Locale: California's Central Coast
I've got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get? on 03/03/2009 20:56:47 MST Print View

Disclaimer- This maybe a fun forum post so ignore or chastise me as you will.

I've got a $230 REI dividend and don't know what to spend it on. I'm a gear junkie that's covered almost all the bases for normal backpacking and UL. So what would you buy? Don't worry about what I already have. I'm hoping the wish lists of the masses will reveal some imperative piece of gear that I've overlooked. So if you've got a few seconds to kill let me know what you've been coveting all winter.

My vote goes to waiting for the release of the NeoAir mattress.

cameron eibl
(cjeibl) - F

Locale: San Diego
Re: I've got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get? on 03/03/2009 21:06:37 MST Print View

Thats $2300 of gear at the 10% dividend rate. Wow, I am impressed.

Chad Mason
(porch13) - M

Locale: Arizona
Re: I've got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get? on 03/03/2009 21:12:04 MST Print View

I'm in the same boat.....I've got a $541 dividend (I use their Visa card) and I don't really need anything. I bought a pile of stuff from backcountry over the weekend.....I just couldn't help myself....40% off of Montbell stuff will get me every time.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Dividend on 03/03/2009 21:15:02 MST Print View

I imaging you have the REI credit card (like I do) and use it for non-REI purchases. WIth the card you get an additional 5% on all items at REI (even sale items) and 1% on all other purchases.

Sean Mantell
(SeanMantell) - F

Locale: SoCal
REI dividend on 03/03/2009 21:15:59 MST Print View

Wow. That makes me feel better about how much I spend on gear. Anyways, I'd wait for the NeoAir.

Ryan Corder
(demo) - MLife

Locale: Arkansan in Seattle
REI dividend on 03/03/2009 21:20:24 MST Print View

I've got just about everything I need. I'll likely use mine to finally buy a bike rack and maybe a new pair of bouldering shoes, if I have enough left over :)

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: REI dividend on 03/03/2009 21:25:09 MST Print View

the neo air mattress or special ordering a golite regular size ultra 20. if golite ever gets the regular back in stock... that is what i'm waiting for to spend my small dividend towards.

Edited by rooinater on 03/03/2009 21:26:38 MST.

William Puckett
(Beep) - F

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes
REI Dividend = Neo Air on 03/03/2009 21:30:01 MST Print View

NeoAir!

Nathanial Eady
(DaGreekPacker) - F

Locale: California's Central Coast
REI Dividend the result of no proper sporting goods store on central coast, ca on 03/03/2009 23:50:19 MST Print View

No credit card involved, shamefully I accrued my $200+ dividend the old fashioned way. It's 10% of my regular purchases from REI. The crazy thing is I rarely find UL gear I like from REI and try to buy from mom and pop stores whenever possible, if that puts things in frightening perspective. The problem is that between LA and Monterey its hard to find a decent sporting goods store. and by decent I mean a store that doesn't suck big huge.... fill in the rest with your own crude haiku.

Sean Mantell
(SeanMantell) - F

Locale: SoCal
RE: REI Dividend the result of no proper sporting goods store on central coast, ca on 03/04/2009 00:08:00 MST Print View

There is an Adventure 16 just north of LA. I haven't been to that location but the one in San DIego is pretty cool. It's a pretty small store though.

Pamela Wyant
(RiverRunner) - F - M
I've got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get on 03/04/2009 00:30:21 MST Print View

I'd wait on the NeoAir too. Or get some car camping gear (the Kelty Binto line is kind of cool), or REI Sahara pants. A season's worth of your favorite freeze-dried food or energy bars would work too.

Packs, shelters, and quilts are best bought from the cottage manufacturers, who have more innovative gear IMHO.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Get a softshell on 03/04/2009 05:26:45 MST Print View

I have not ordered from them before, but if you need a hooded softshell jacket, order something custom made from Beyondclothing.com

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
REI dividend on 03/04/2009 06:48:38 MST Print View

Well it finally happened. After being a co-op member for 20 years,I finally got a $0.00 dividend. No REI around for hundreds of miles. And it looks like everything I am now using comes from small manufacturers. As a gear hound who is trying to be better this is a huge accomplishment. Get cash for your dividend and spend it on what you need,not what they have. No decent outdoor stores in Humboldt county either. That too could be helping:)

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Dividend on 03/04/2009 07:56:51 MST Print View

I will also be getting a check for my dividend this year - and if I use it to buy gear, I'll head over to Midwest Mountaineering in Minneapolis and spend it there.

Although I haven't received my notice yet, I expect a decent dividend because I picked up their Visa card last March. One bummer - they don't issue checks until July.

Edit: dividend check in - $180.07; about 6x bigger than previous years.

Edited by citystuckhiker on 03/04/2009 12:17:31 MST.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Re: REI dividend on 03/04/2009 09:38:32 MST Print View

I'm in the same boat as you Ken...and I suspect a lot of others here. I'm buying pretty much everything for manufacturers that REI doesn't deal with. The small dividend check I receive every year (it just doesn't pile up very fast buying isobutane canisters and Mary Jane's mac and cheese) usually ends up buying a piece of workout clothing for my wife.

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
My dividend on 03/04/2009 11:49:33 MST Print View

is likely going to an Osprey Exos 46 backpack. $119 and change thanks to the REI Visa. Combine that with the 20% member sale, plus the credit from the return of some REI Switchback 'waterproof' gloves (that were not waterproof on two snow camping trips), I should be able to get it for nothing out of pocket. Unless I decided I want a ULA Ohm more, and then I have to wait till June, when I can use the dividend to pay my July CC bill.

I'm finding like others, that thanks to this site, I need/want REI less and less since there are so many boutique outfits making better/cheaper gear, plus, it's nice knowing I'm helping out some guys/gals trying to make a honest living rather than some company paying sweatshop wages in China with mininal quality control.

But I do work 2 blocks from an REI and spend almost every lunch hour there.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re:Helping Out on 03/04/2009 13:23:29 MST Print View

No REI Dividend! I think we might have a "bake sale" and donate the proceeds to Ken, for gas to get to Berkeley.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
REI dividend on 03/04/2009 19:21:46 MST Print View

Thanks Denis!! Oddly enough I would drive right past REI on the way down.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: REI dividend on 03/04/2009 19:32:43 MST Print View

To the Santa Rosa store? I've already cleaned that one out of all the good stuff.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: REI dividend -Flash 18 pack on 03/04/2009 21:42:25 MST Print View

I used mine to buy a REI Flash 18 pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/778466?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-na&mr:trackingCode=9D16864E-70ED-DD11-9B0F-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Very happy with it. very compressible and prefect for day hiking while traveling- stashed in a carry on. I found it comfortable around the house with 2 liters of water in the bladder sleeve, the sternum strap helps a lot with the minimalist straps.
the closure system is ingenious and should be copied by UL/SUL pack makers.
And it looks good too.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
Re: Re: REI dividend -Flash 18 pack on 03/05/2009 08:39:53 MST Print View

Nice pack! I'm thinking about getting myself a Stoke pack from REI.

It's a shame I only have $20.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
REI dividend on 03/05/2009 08:43:00 MST Print View

I only got $2, must have something to do with my deep-seated aversion to paying retail.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
REI Dividend on 03/05/2009 09:04:45 MST Print View

Can you convert an REI dividend into your 401K?

Robert Bryant
(KG4FAM) - F

Locale: Upstate
Re: REI dividend on 03/05/2009 09:10:04 MST Print View

"I only got $2, must have something to do with my deep-seated aversion to paying retail."

Somehow I got $7.01 and I know that I didn't pay full price for anything at REI last year.

Rob Blazoff
(Genetic) - F

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.
Re: I've got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get? on 03/05/2009 09:46:57 MST Print View

I would put the $230 toward a Ponderosa 29er.

It is a solid value hardtail bike.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
Flash pack 18 on 03/05/2009 12:29:40 MST Print View

These are great packs. I use mine daily as well as for trveling light. When my Ion is too large this is the pack I grab. I work as a yacht broker so I never know when I'm going to have to jump a small plane for the islands to pick up a boat and sail her back. I always have mine with a good shell my journal a camera and a few bucks. I recenty got shipped off to Friday Harbor to pick up a 40' sloop. Within 5 minutes of being in the office I was taken to the airport jumpded a 210 Cessna for a quick 20 minute flight and a beautiful 6 hour sail back. My pack is my best friend. Ali

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
Wait until July 1 and on 03/05/2009 18:11:13 MST Print View

get your cash.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Re: Dividend on 03/11/2009 10:54:56 MDT Print View

I caved and bought a Nathan vest for trail running - down to about $110.

Peter Burke
(Fishmonger) - F

10% on 03/11/2009 11:04:30 MDT Print View

I only made it up to a $147 dividend, and that was my biggest buying spree year with REI ever...

My plan is to spend most of it on Cliff Bars :)

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
I've got a REI dividend to burn, what should I get? on 03/11/2009 15:19:04 MDT Print View

I got a whole $35, the biggest dividend I've had in years (last year's was more like 35 cents).

I'm saving it in case I decide to get the NeoAir. If I decide I don't want the NeoAir, I'll wait and get the cash.