Aquamira LIQUID drops vs. Aquamira TABLETS
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Aqua Mira and Micropur on 04/22/2010 16:00:49 MDT Print View

Eric:

Micropur came to market with the tablets earlier than AquaMira. But I believe the two products (tablets) are actually identical -- both made in Spain -- and very possibly by the same factory.

Edited by ben2world on 04/22/2010 16:01:38 MDT.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Micropur tabs v.s. Aqua Mira tabs on 04/23/2010 12:41:07 MDT Print View

Ben,

I read over a year ago that the Aqua Mira tabs were 1/2 the strength of Micropur. Maybe they've changed that.

Don Ashton
(dash1730) - MLife
Cryptosporidium and 4 hours on 04/25/2010 19:24:31 MDT Print View

I have no solid info on the issue, but have recently read two articles giving me pause.

The first is says "With the introduction of chlorine dioxide droplets or tablets to the market, now just about every little organism that causes sickness can be killed. The drawback is that required treatment time for cryptosporidium is 4 hours!" ( http://www.backpacking-guide.com/water-filter-purifier-reviews.html )

Second I read up on cryptosporidium. "It affects the intestines of mammals and is typically an acute short-term infection. It is spread through the fecal-oral route, often through contaminated water;[1] the main symptom is self-limiting diarrhea in people with intact immune systems. In immunocompromised individuals, such as AIDS patients, the symptoms are particularly severe and often fatal. Cryptosporidium is the organism most commonly isolated in HIV positive patients presenting with diarrhea. Treatment is symptomatic, with fluid rehydration, electrolyte correction and management of any pain. Despite not being identified until 1976, it is one of the most common waterborne diseases and is found worldwide." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptosporidiosis )

The same backpacking-guide article cites some filters which catch cryptosporidium.

Any one know more about this issue?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Cryptosporidium and 4 hours on 04/25/2010 19:32:49 MDT Print View

Couple of thoughts:

1. ONLY the solid tablets contain sufficient concentration of chlorine dioxide to treat protozoa cysts (crypto, giardia, etc.) -- and yes, it can take between 30 minutes to a full 4 hours of treatment time -- the colder the water, the longer the time needed.

2. AquaMira liquids have just 1/3 the concentration of chlorine dioxide (feel free to read the labels on both). Read the AM liquids instructions and they mention ONLY treatment against bacteria -- NOT protozoa cysts. EPA regulations.

In talking to an AM customer rep, she said that folks can use the liquids to achieve the same effect as the solid tablets -- by quadrupling dosage. Don't know why tripling isn't good enough, but y'all can do the math.

Finally, I know numerous have reported they didn't get sick at all using AM liquids. But that's not following AM directions. Also, we all know of hikers who don't ever treat their water and didn't get sick. But neither is really a proof of anything...

Edited by ben2world on 04/25/2010 19:35:31 MDT.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Two words. on 04/25/2010 19:44:45 MDT Print View

Steripen Adventurer.

If you're serious about killing the bugs, you'll zap them with this. Take backup tablets for incredibly murky water or battery failure, sure, but nothing beats drinking chlorine-free water in the wild, zapped to be perfectly sterile.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Cryptosporidium and 4 hours on 04/25/2010 19:53:49 MDT Print View

"In talking to an AM customer rep, she said that folks can use the liquids to achieve the same effect as the solid tablets -- by quadrupling dosage."

That customer representative sure deserves points from management for fostering sales of Aqua Mira.

--B.G.--

Grant Marshall
(s3238033) - F
To answer Jims earlier question on 01/15/2011 03:16:38 MST Print View

This is quite a simple theory and one that as an 3rd year environemental engineer I can explain however I dont have the formulas for chlorine dioxide solution however I have tried to explain for a typical chlorine solution as shown bellow. If you understand the theory, then the only difference would be number changes as the result of a differing chenmical reaction due to the addition to aqueous solution.

CT is an expression defining the nature of biologial inactivity such that:
CT = (0.9847C^0.1758)(pH^2.7519)(temp^-0.1467)
where C = concentration
T = time
ph = -log[h+]
temp = temperature in degrees celcius

This relationship allows you to predict the CT required for a 3-log reduction in giardia cysts, if you have the concentration, pH, and water temperature.

NOTE: log reductions are defined as 1-log = 90%, 2-log = 99%, 3-log = 99.9%, 4-log =99.99% and so on

Typically the EPA removes Giardia to a 3-log and cryptosporidium to a 2-log, I have a table of figures for required CT of chlorine dioxide at varying water temperatures as outlined by the US EPA.

GIARDIA
Temp 0.5 5 10 15 20 25
ClO2 CT 63 26 23 19 15 11

CRYPTOSPORIDIUM
Temp 0.5 5 10 15 20 25
ClO2 CT 1275 858 553 357 232 150

Using the above tables you should be able to determine a dose and time that suits your situation and removes these microorganisms, when using Clorine Dioxide. If you are interested in any other disinfectants CT's to relate ozone has the lowest acording to my material with CT's approximately 30 times lower.

Vince Contreras
(pillowthread) - F

Locale: like, in my head???
Re: Two words. on 01/15/2011 09:13:43 MST Print View

@Nate: Nope. Remember, with UV you're not killing them; you're only mutating the organisms DNA to the point that it can't replicate, and then you're ingesting it live. Ingesting severely mutated bacteria, viruses, and protozoa FTW!!!

edit: clarification

Edited by pillowthread on 01/15/2011 09:14:55 MST.

roberto nahue
(carspidey) - F

Locale: san fernando valley
FP filter and platy on 04/04/2011 14:32:26 MDT Print View

@Ben... you said you use bleach only and then use the fp filter... and you do this to save money...

i've read somewhere here that household bleach degrades and it's not as effective as it was when the container was first opened...

i still like the idea of the FP filter and from your posts and the post where shows the video of Jason showing the gravity setup... that's what i'll do...

Just to give my opinion on this matter... many people using drops, or tablets, just wait enough (15 to 30 mins) to get drinking water... i wonder if they would have gotten sick even if they did not treat their water...

I'll just be on the safe side and get the tables and then filter using the FP filter...

question on this setup though? how long does teh filter last?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: FP filter and platy on 04/04/2011 15:55:08 MDT Print View

Roberto:

I don't worry about the freshness of my chlorine bleach supply because it gets used and replenished regularly in my household. Stored in a cool, dark place -- the chlorine efficacy should last 6 months (warmer temps can shorten this to just 3 months). Avoid buying in gargantuan gallon jugs to prevent the stuff from getting 'stale'.

If you rarely use bleach and you're worried that a bottle will just sit forever -- then consider buying chlorine in tablet form at any pool supply store. Click here to read more. Still cheap as heck and not too much of a hassle really -- and a lot better than getting fleeced $18 for a measly 20 chlorine dioxide tablets.

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
aqua mira on 08/14/2013 22:05:39 MDT Print View

Threadbump...

Anyone else noticed that the Aqua Mira tabs are impossible to find these days? ...and look at this, the manufacturer is claiming "sold out."

http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-purifier-tablets-24-pack

http://www.aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-purifier-tablets-12-pack

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: aqua mira on 08/14/2013 22:38:37 MDT Print View

Google finds this a page where it can be ordered

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/wisconsinpharmacal/the-Potable-Aqua/Categories

Found via this page

http://www.potableaqua.com/products-chlorine-dioxide.php

Delmar O'Donnell
(Bolster)

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
PA or AM on 08/14/2013 23:19:41 MDT Print View

Thanks for the PotableAqua link. I was fixating on AquaMira.

My question is: Has there been a recall of AquaMira tabs? Out of production?

Edited by Bolster on 08/14/2013 23:20:41 MDT.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: PA or AM on 08/15/2013 08:34:19 MDT Print View

they are in stock here and here .

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: PA or AM on 08/15/2013 09:00:43 MDT Print View

Also in stock at Ultralight Designs. (Sorry, no time to create a link.)

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: PA or AM on 08/15/2013 09:04:46 MDT Print View

the 12 pack is in stock and the 24 pack is out of stock at ultralightdesigns.

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Tabs for water on 08/15/2013 10:22:30 MDT Print View

Aquatabs 30 pack for $11.00 is much better $$$ wise!
Amazon.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Tabs for water on 08/16/2013 08:27:02 MDT Print View

Desert Dweller, do you have a link for that?

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate vs Chlorine Dioxide tablets? on 08/18/2013 11:50:12 MDT Print View

Aquatabs are not chemically the same thing. From their web site: "They are effervescent (self-dissolving) tablets, the US EPA approved active ingredient is NaDCC which is also known as Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate or Troclosene Sodium."

While Portable Aqua has Potable Aqua Chlorine Dioxide Water Purification Tablets and its active ingredients is clorine dioxide tablets.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_dioxide -- lots of references, etc. on this.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dichloroisocyanurate -- this is so new, hardly any information exists.

I did find these two references at cdc.gov:

Lantagne DS, Cardinali F, Blount BC. Disinfection by-product formation and mitigation strategies in point-of-use chlorination with sodium dichloroisocyanurate in Tanzania. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;Jul 83(1):135-43. Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20595492

Jain S, Sahanoon OK, Blanton E, Schmitz A, Wannemuehler KA, Hoekstra RM, Quick RE. Sodium dichloroisocyanurate tablets for routine treatment of household drinking water in periurban Ghana: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010;Jan 82(1):16-22. Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20064989

This newer product works in 30 minutes versus the worst case wait for the chlorine dioxide tablets of 4 hours (but only 20 minutes if you pre-filter with a 1 micron absolute filter for Giardia and Cypto. I like the .5 micron nominal filter for $4 that weighs 1 oz from DudaDiesel.com (use a wire clipper to remove the steel ring at top to get weight down to 1 oz).

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=PTFEP3S

I'd like to hear from more educated, chemically and biochemically, medically, about this newer chemical form.

I believe though this newer chemical is the cause for the one product no longer being distributed. REI has switched to this newer chemical:

http://www.rei.com/product/849795/msr-aquatabs-water-purification-tablets

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate vs Chlorine Dioxide tablets on 08/18/2013 12:53:52 MDT Print View

The cootie-killing chemical created by Aquatabs is free chlorine, which isn't effective against cryptosporidium (nor is the iodine from the original Potable Aqua tablets). Chlorine dioxide is somewhat effective at neutralizing crypto, which makes it the best purification tablet available. Except that it doesn't seem to be currently available.

I know that Katadyne had production problems last spring for their Micropur tablets, due to moving their facilities to another location in Switzerland. They indicated that Micropur would be again be available in August, 2013. Hmmm...

Potable Aqua's chlorine dioxide tablets are claimed to be made in the U.S.A. and are distributed by Wisconsin Pharmacal Co. I found it interesting that the foil packaging of the Micropur and the Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide brands are nearly identical, with just 1-2 words on the directions being different. So this is likely an FDA wording requirement, or else both brands might possibly be made by the same manufacturer. Hmmm...

Last week I happened to drop into the store where I bought my Potable Aqua ClO2 tabs in June. They were also out of stock, and they had no clue as to when they would be receiving more. On the Potable Aqua site, they also indicated that it would be available sometime in August 2013. Another hmmm...

All I know is that I prefer chlorine dioxide to all other purification agents. And I'm glad that I stockpiled a bunch of it earlier this summer. With a stash of >100 tablets on a shelf in my basement, I should be good through next spring. But if nobody makes this available by then, I think one of you chemistry guys/gals should start your own company and produce it. For the common good of hikers planet-wide...