Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » sleeping bag extender

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
sleeping bag extender on 03/02/2009 07:08:55 MST Print View

I need more girth in the shouler area on my mummy bag. (must have been working out too much - or I have put on weight some other way). I considered a transformation to a top bag as one of the diy articles on this site. I rememember seeing a zip in triangular piece years ago, but don't ask me where.
Is there a way to MYOG this?
Has Anyone tried it?

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: sleeping bag extender on 03/02/2009 08:50:11 MST Print View

I need more girth in the shoulder area on my mummy bag.... I rememember seeing a zip in triangular piece years ago, but don't ask me where.
Is there a way to MYOG this?
Has Anyone tried it?

Yes and yes. Works pretty good.

You'll need to match the make and "gauge" of the zipper. I was able find out what was needed by calling the manufacturer's (Marmot) customer service line (YKK #8 in my case. They even shipped me a matching zipper at no cost!)

Summer bags are easy but if you are talking about a cold weather bag it requires a bit of thought to come up with a non sewn-thru zipper baffle and also to come up with a shape that makes it easy to close up the hood snug and also matches zipper length on each side.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Sleeping bag extender on 03/02/2009 09:25:04 MST Print View

I think both Mountain Hardware and North Face used to sell those.

Bryant Burton
(moabrocks) - F
Big agnes on 03/04/2009 22:13:22 MST Print View

BA use to make something call the wedgie. Here's a link.

http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Accessory/WedgieBagExpander

you could look at that for a pattern.

- Bryant

Edited by moabrocks on 03/04/2009 22:14:07 MST.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
Thanks on 03/05/2009 06:05:19 MST Print View

Thanks for your help.

I've looked at the sites and they mention that you have to match the zipper. Most have a YKK#8. I think I will head to a fabric/craft store and see what my bag has. The mountain hardware has baffles for the zipper, so I am leaning that way.

Again -Thanks - this community always has the answers.

Dave