Forum Index » GEAR » Need Advice on Which Headlamp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Lawton Grinter
(disco) - M

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 02/28/2009 21:08:54 MST Print View

I´m looking to buy an LED headlamp that is bright enough to night hike with, uses 2 or 3 AAA´s, batteries don´t die too quickly and is lightweight.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Disco

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 02/28/2009 21:33:09 MST Print View

Not too light, but meets all your other requirements - Princeton Tec Eos

105g (3.7oz) w/ alkaline batteries
4 settings
3 AAA
Power miser

Love mine if I'm night hiking otherwise I use the Petzl e+lite.

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 02/28/2009 22:26:38 MST Print View

It's easy to glue an aligator clip to the 9 volt Packlight. What you end up with is a minus 2 ounce light that will last 80 hours between battery changes on high and 1200 hours on low. (They also hold a headband, but the aligator clip works better - clipped to a simple elastic headband or your cap visor.

http://www.9voltlight.com/

Edited by vickrhines on 02/28/2009 22:32:26 MST.

Lawton Grinter
(disco) - M

Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 02/28/2009 22:36:37 MST Print View

I should add that part of the reason I am looking for a headlamp that uses AAA´s is because I have a bunch of rechargeable AAA´s and a recharger and am done with using headlamps with coin cell batteries that I end up throwing away. Gotta be a bit greener. I´ve tried the Photon ReX and didn´t like it . . . battery life is a joke. 9V batteries won´t recharge in the charger I have so that´s a no go.

The Petzl Zipka Plus seems to be the closest thing I´ve come across that meets my criteria and is light (2.3 ozs). However the housing doesn´t tilt and I´d love to be able to adjust the direction of the beam.

Anything out their that is lighter than the Zipka Plus and uses AAA´s and has a long burn time?

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Headlamp on 03/01/2009 02:14:50 MST Print View

Princeton Tec Eos gets another vote from me. I've owned several but this one is my favorite. It's one of the few that will take light weight lithium batteries which is great for cold weather situations. It's also water resistent to 1 meter. Reviewed here

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
BD Spot on 03/01/2009 03:25:20 MST Print View

BD Spot for me.

89g (3.14oz) on my scale with three AAA Alkalines.

One 1W LED and three smaller ones. Non-regulated.

Be aware though that BD are/have rolled out new LEDs. Make sure you get one with the new LEDs which will give either brighter light or longer run time.

Robert Carver
(Rcarver) - MLife

Locale: Southeast TN
Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 03/01/2009 05:49:47 MST Print View

Another vote for the BD Spot. Great lamp. I bearly even notice that I have it on my head. The one watt is plenty bright enough for night hiking.

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 03/01/2009 06:24:27 MST Print View

Lawton... I switched from the Photon for the same reason. Great around camp and for short emergencies otherwise, but battery life was way too short. Although not a true headlamp, I now have a clip on Fenix LD01 Q5 (0.5oz) which is powerful enough to use on the trail, has good battery life, and uses AAA's. No tilt while clipped to my hat/cap, but I could use a piece of duct tape to attach it to my tilting Photon clip if I wanted to do that.

Walter Piekarz
(WalterP) - F

Locale: Latham, NY
Re: BD Spot on 03/01/2009 07:07:41 MST Print View

I also have this lamp (BD Spot) and have nothing but good things to say about it. Hiked down off of Glastenbury mountain last fall in the rain and fog at night, 9 miles and I never missed a white blaze.

Edited by WalterP on 03/01/2009 07:12:39 MST.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Re: Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 03/01/2009 08:41:29 MST Print View

Another vote for Princeton Tec EOS at 3.3 oz for night hiking.

I also have the Petzel Tikka XP (also 3.3 oz) which is more veratile for camp chores and hiking as it has a diffusser lens that slides over the light. It's not as bright as the EOS but IMO is stil bright enough. However, the XP does not take lithium batteries, so not recommended for cld winter hiking.

Edited by mad777 on 03/01/2009 09:02:18 MST.

Lawton Grinter
(disco) - M

Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 03/01/2009 09:46:39 MST Print View

Thanks so much so far for the great feedback.

I guess I'm being a bit picky here . . . I want the perfect lightweight headlamp that runs off AAA's, has long battery life and is lightweight.

Both the BD Spot and PT EOS are over 3 oz. and battery life does not even come close to the 2.3 oz. Zipka Plus. I'm under the impression that the 35 Lumen output for the Zipka Plus is decent enough for night hiking.

I'd be using this "perfect headlamp" on everything from short overnighters, weekend trips all the way to a 6 week thru of the AZT. Hence the need for long battery life. And I plan on using rechargeable AAA's or AA's so no coin cell batteries.

Anything out there that can beat the Zipka Plus in weight, battery life and brightness?

Ray Dunham
(Raymond) - F

Locale: SE US
Headlamp on 03/01/2009 09:53:52 MST Print View

I also use the Eos and love it. Great headlamp but not the lightest.

Joseph Morrison
(sjdm4211) - F

Locale: Smokies
EOS on 03/01/2009 10:03:50 MST Print View

I also like the Princeton Tec EOS. Ive had mine for a couple years now. It is plenty bright enough for night hiking (50 lumens) and it won't eat batteries like most lights that bright. It is only 3.7 oz., thats not exactly heavy IMO?

Edited by sjdm4211 on 03/01/2009 10:04:33 MST.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
light. on 03/01/2009 10:14:45 MST Print View

yo disco.

i'm sure the zipka would be coolio.

personally i love my tiny Fenix L0D - depending on the level of light you need for hiking, it might be bright enough. it has a little pocket clip that you can reverse and clip onto a baseball hat brim.

woop!

non yep
(yep) - F

Locale: sonoran desert
liteflux cree? on 03/01/2009 12:58:12 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=17576&cat=Lights%20-%20Flashlights%20%26%20Headlamps&cid=59

e+ doesn't cut it for me on most of my trips so i've recently been investigating the specs on this. never used a cree though. it may work for you.
any cree users care to comment on how the battery life on this compares while illumating for nitehiking?
could strap around hip/pack strap?

chuck menz
(chazmen11) - F
Re: Need Advice on Which Headlamp? on 03/01/2009 13:41:32 MST Print View

Anyone care to comment on Primus Lighting They seem to have a nice selection

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: liteflux cree? on 03/01/2009 13:43:03 MST Print View

Christopher... The Fenix lights all use the Cree. Most of the latest versions are the Q5 which is not only brighter but also uses less energy. I have both the LD01 with the Q5 (AAA) and also the LD10 with the Q5 (AA). Amazing longevity and brightness from such tiny packages.

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
happy with princeton tec aurora on 03/01/2009 14:36:53 MST Print View

I guess it has been replaced with the "fuel." Both are inexpensive and 3 x AAA.

Kenneth Kortge
(KennK) - F
Battery Life on 03/01/2009 14:56:46 MST Print View

Keep in mind that to a great extent, battery life is a function of light output. So, for example, though Brand A might have 8 hours of battery life at high, and Brand B has only 2 hours of battery life at high, given they are similar technologies, it is most likely because the light outputs are VERY different.

Actually, most likely the medium level of Brand B has similar light output and life as Brand A's high level. If you get the idea.

That is one reason I like my EOS. It has the powerful high setting, which I don't use much, but its nice to know its there if I want it. Its medium level is still plenty bright for most of my needs.

As someone else mentioned, do take note that several brands do not allow use of lithium batteries and some are not waterproof - only water resistant. My headlamps have been known to get soaked when its raining at night.

BTW, if you go the EOS route, make sure you get the newer Rebel version. It has a much nicer output.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Petzl Tikka Plus on 03/01/2009 15:23:39 MST Print View

Consider this one?

2.75 ounces, runs on three (lithium compatible) AAA's for a very long time. multiple brightness settings and ability to swivel.

I think it might be the lightest of the full-featured headlamps available.

The Scout and Princeton Tec are lighter, but much less bright and don't last as long.