Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Hair today....
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
Hair today.... on 02/28/2009 16:59:32 MST Print View

I have pretty long hair, and a lot of it. Of late however I find myself questioning keeping it. The main reason being for headwear. Hoods, beanies, sun hats, everything has a hard time fitting on top of my head with the way my hair is these days. I wear a buff 80% of the time to keep it in check but that is about all I can wear. Anyother people with this issue?

Paul Martin
(bearded1) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
I shave on 02/28/2009 17:17:26 MST Print View

I shave my head bald, and still think buff are great. I used to have real long hair and it just wasn't worth the effort anymore.

jim draucker
(mtnjim) - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA
hair on 02/28/2009 17:28:47 MST Print View

Hello again

My son had long hair, very thick and past his shoulders.

He cut it for a number of reasons.It was his decision alone. He donated his hair to Locks of Love. They make
natural wigs for people under going cancer therapy.

Jim

Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
Not a problem on 02/28/2009 19:08:41 MST Print View

I have fairly long hair (picture) and haven't found this to be a problem. I wear a Tilley LTM6 (7 7/8"), Patagonia Outer Dome, and/or keep it back with various things.

But I do tend to change my appearance fairly often and have a general rule: if I feel the twinge to change for a few weeks consistently, I do it.

Tough call... but good luck!

Edited by milesbarger on 02/28/2009 19:09:12 MST.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Hair today.... on 02/28/2009 20:36:41 MST Print View

I used to have short hair, but the hat hair issue was terribly embarrassing. So I grew it out.

Now I can wear beanies and other kinds of hats and not look stupid.

I am jealous your hair is so thick that it interferes with being able to fit hats on your head. Why do guys always have such great hair?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Hair today on 02/28/2009 21:40:42 MST Print View

I wish I had that problem. Only thing is, it's hair today........gone tomorrow.

John Sixbey
(Wolfeye) - F
re: hair today on 02/28/2009 22:34:56 MST Print View

I have long hair, but it's straight & thin; I can wear it with most any hat with no problems. What IS a problem is getting it tangled up with cordlocks or zippers.

Mine used to go past my waist, but now I keep it just long enough to tie back. Too much trouble otherwise. I'd never cut it short again because this way more people can tell I'm native. It's an identity thing with me.

Try a different length and see if that helps. I wish mine were that thick.

Ryan Linn
(ryan.c.linn)

Locale: Maine!
big hair on 03/02/2009 07:28:24 MST Print View

Sean, I'm glad you mentioned this because I thought everyone here shaved their head for practicality.

I've got huge hair, and it's a pain in the butt when backpacking or climbing. I've had big bulky dreadlocks for seven years, and even when trimmed short (chin length... they were waist length at one point) it is nearly impossible for me to wear hoods (rain jackets!) or hats (my filson sun hat is size XXL and fits quite tight), and my hair is always getting caught in pack straps. The bottom line... long hair really isn't practical for any outdoorsy pursuits.

On a similar note, how about beards? Guys? Anybody else have huge facial hair that gets in the way of backpacking?

Anitra Kass
(Anitraten) - F

Locale: SoCal
Long Hair on 03/02/2009 10:44:53 MST Print View

I have long hair as well. Mine is just a few inches above my waist. I'll be donating it soon (either to a friend or an organization) but in the meantime when I go out an hike/backpack/trail work/whatever I put it in braided pigtails. I part my hair down the middle and then gather the hair low (just behind the bottom of my ear on each side). I put it in a ponytail holder and braid it from there.

The braids lay infront of my shoulder so they don't get in the way of my pack and straps, it's easy to put a hat over and it keeps the hair pretty clean. The one negative is that if I wear a rain jacket with velcro over the zipper, one of my braids gets velcro-ed. That is not too pleasant. Luckily my new and improved (and favorite) rain jacket doesn't have the velcro so no problems.

The braids help me with hitching when I need to resupply in town. One word of caution...make your braids low (think Willie Nelson) as opposed to on the side of your head (like a kindergartener). I had a hiking buddy who had long hair and he tried to braid it, he put the braids on the sides of his head and looked like Heidi...it was funny but only because I knew him...if I hadn't, it would have been weird.
Happy Styling!
NITRO

Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
Beards on 03/02/2009 15:16:56 MST Print View

The only problem I've had with having a big beard: getting it caught in zippers. Ouch!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Beards? on 03/02/2009 17:47:48 MST Print View

No problem, and it does not require shaving equipment in the pack.

The only problem I have with one is that my boss hates it. And I do have to trim it when meeting with clients.

:)

Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Hair on 03/02/2009 21:10:05 MST Print View

Head - clipped with a professional clipper weekly (Andis Master)
Beard - clipped with the same clipper at the same time to roughly the same length

Neck - shaved weekly, occasionally 2x per week for work

This means about 10 minutes per week for my hair issues. No primping, no getting ready - Love it! See my avatar - that's my standard look.

Edited by mn-backpacker on 03/02/2009 21:10:38 MST.