Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cuben Fiber / Climashield XP - Sleeping Bag
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
10-20 Degree Cuben/XP Sleeping Bag - 15.6 ounces - Done on 03/07/2009 12:07:44 MST Print View

Tim and Steven,

My "Vent System" is more like a "Trap Door" that when opened will let me turn the Sleeping Bag inside out and expose part or all of the insulation if that is ever necessary.

By just opening the Trap Door I can expose one end of the insulation to roll or unroll the Sleeping Bag to get the air out or let air in. The Climashield Insulation is make so I just have to sew it around the edges making this idea work very well.

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

Locale: San Diego
pattern? on 03/20/2009 17:36:24 MDT Print View

Bill thanks for what you do here. I've been lurking for about a month, googled my way in here looking for info on cuben fabric. I'm about to make a bilgy tent, but soon I'll be ready to make a sleeping bag and I'm having a little trouble finding a pattern to use; how did you make your pattern?

Thanks, Taylor

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Cuben Fiber / Climashield XP - Sleeping Bag - Pattern? on 03/21/2009 11:42:12 MDT Print View

Hi Taylor,

This is the thread for my first Cuben Sleeping Bag. I talk some about how I made the pattern.
First Cuben Sleeping Bag Thread

If you have a sleeping bag that fits you, put some paper on the floor, lay the sleeping bag on the paper and draw around it. Then get some cheap fabric and make a pattern test bag and see how you like it. Just make the shell.
Adjust the pattern as necessary and go for it. Remember to leave extra material for your seam allowance. Add the thickness of the insulation to your seam allowance or the bag will be smaller when you are finished.

My Hike? window has been pushed back a few weeks due to an unexpected medical appointment in early April.

I am thinking about making another Cuben Sleeping Bag for a bottom end temperature of 30 or so degrees. I really like the design of the first Cuben Bag but don't like the Primaloft One insulation that I used. The pre-quilting added 1 ounce per sq yard to the weight of the insulation. For me that is to much wasted weight.

Taylor Ginther
(Tippet) - F

Locale: San Diego
thanks again bill on 03/21/2009 18:38:37 MDT Print View

I really appreciate the comeback. I see you're in Southern Texas- I try to get down to Corpus Christi as often as possible to fish from the beach at PINS, there are few places I'd rather be.

BTW I had a chat with a nice lady at Quest Outfitters, she had some very nice things to say about you. Likewise the people at Cuben Technology. I can't thank you enough for what can only be described as pioneering work in UL apps.

Have you noticed any problems with the lack of breathability using cuben for a sleeping bag? I think your desgin allowing the bag to be turned inside-ouit to expose the insulation for drying is nothing short of revolutionary, but I bet the batting won't get wet from sweat.
-T

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

10-20 Degree Cuben/XP Sleeping Bag - 15.6 ounces - Done & Tested on 01/20/2010 14:41:12 MST Print View

A comment was made on one of the threads here about using Cuben Fiber for the shell material when making insulated garments.

What ever type of insulation you choose you might want to add into your design a way to vent or air out the insulation.

This is one of the ways I did this for two different Sleeping Bags made using 100% Cuben Fiber.

1. Finished Sleeping Bag - looking at the underside of the Bag.

2. Flap - opened to allow the XP to air out if and when it might be necessary.

3. Opened to show that you could turn the insulated part of the bag inside out a little or completely to air out the XP if necessary.

4. Foot Box - 14" long by 15" wide.

It got cold here in San Antonio last week and I used this Sleeping Bag down to 21 degrees and was very warm in it. I was sleeping on my Down Air Mattress. I am sure I could go lower than 21 degrees in this Sleeping Bag. I could wear some or all of the clothing I would be using on a hike where I expected the temperature range to go as low as 10 or so degrees.

Edited by bfornshell on 01/20/2010 14:44:49 MST.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: 10-20 Degree Cuben/XP Sleeping Bag - 15.6 ounces - Done & Tested on 01/20/2010 19:46:02 MST Print View

Bill,

Kudos! Thanks for reporting on your test. Wow, that's a warm bag!!!

Thanks,
Todd

Edited by funnymoney on 01/20/2010 19:52:42 MST.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

10-20 Degree Cuben/XP Sleeping Bag - 15.6 ounces - Done & Tested on 01/21/2010 09:01:21 MST Print View

Blue Cuben Sleeping Bag sitting on my scale. Weight 15.56 ounces ready to use.

Picture taken this morning at 1000 am. Weather - sunny and clear, 60 degrees (F) and climbing.

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
Re: 10-20 Degree Cuben/XP Sleeping Bag - 15.6 ounces - Done & Tested on 01/30/2010 18:13:46 MST Print View

Awesome bag bill. I wish there was a way to 'friend' people on BPL. I find myself repeatedly stumbling on your projects. So much so that I have taken to occasionally haunting your profile page.

Back to the bag.

Lighter weight then my 40 degree bag! :)

In fact just temp I was looking for.

I must make a quilt version of this asap.

I'm curious. How small does it stuff? And are there any short or long term issues to repeatedly stuffing Climashield if you don't store it that way in the long term? (i.e. I hang my bags up in the closet, but I stuff the hell out of them on trips.)

Also, what are your thoughts are on Climashield vs. Primaloft?

Thanks!

-Mike
http://www.flickr.com/groups/ultralightbiking/