Forum Index » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children on 02/27/2009 12:40:47 MST Print View

Dondo asked "When would Cl02 be contraindicated".

Honestly I don't have it in front of me. There was a discussion last year somewhere- maybe Backpacker mag forums about the high doses of Cl02 that are needed to quickly treat cold water not being recommended for children except in emergencies.

That, and my wife generally trying to protect the kids from synthetic chemicals as much as possible pushed me to find a non-chemical method of purification.

Hence the Steripen, with ClO2 tablets as backup in case the Steripen's magic death ray stops working.

I did a quick search trying to find an easy to follow MSDS on ClO2 and the risks to children. What I found instead was discussion of the "Miracle Mineral Solution" where Chlorine Dioxide is claimed to help the body rid itself of all sorts of infections, make your coat smooth and glossy, and makes its own gravy. It removes stains too!

I detect a little snake oil.

Dondo .
(Dondo) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children on 02/27/2009 12:53:39 MST Print View

Thanks for that Jim. I guess I've been taking the "Miracle Mineral Solution" for all these years without knowing it.

I also use the Steripen as my purifier and raid my emergency kit for ClO2 tabs when necessary.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children on 02/27/2009 13:02:04 MST Print View

Besides the simple thing that what is used in Aquamira and similar is used in most town water systems?

Unless you are on a well your kids have been drinking it since birth.

Methinks you worry a weeeee bit too much. Worry about artificial dyes, flavorings and preservatives - but you put your kids at worse risk by not having clean water! (If you live on a well, have it checked yearly!!)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children on 02/27/2009 13:13:41 MST Print View

"That, and my wife generally trying to protect the kids from synthetic chemicals as much as possible pushed me to find a non-chemical method of purification."

Each to his own, of course, but strictly voicing my own two cents, I can't help but chuckle at "the public" for blithely immersing themselves in a world of synthetics -- each and every day -- then get all "religious" about chlorine on the weekends that they hike out. Kind of like driving a mean SUV to work and play -- then get all hung up about how starting a tiny campfire is a NO NO because that adds pollution to the environment...

I guess in a nutshell, I am a "middle road" kind of a guy and view "extremism" in most any form with suspicion...

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Re: Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children on 02/27/2009 13:33:24 MST Print View

ClO2 isn't generally used in municipal systems as the sole treatment or at such low temperatures or short contact times that I want my water treatment to operate. Municipal systems constantly test the treated water for residual concentration and make appropriate adjustments.

ClO2 tablets are designed to work in a wide variety of conditions, including cold, highly contaminated water with lots of organic material, so they produce a much stronger concentration than municipal systems.

I would absolutely use it for my children on weekend trips, in a disaster or emergency, or if my filter or magic death ray (Steripen) stops working. For longer trips I'm a bit concerned.

Regarding "blithely immersing in synthetics", we try to avoid that as much as possible when it comes to what we eat. I'm not religious about the issue, but my wife borders on it. I don't think a drop of Cl02, red dye, or TVP is going to kill them. It's just that a lifelong of eating synthesized psuedofoods that were unknown from the dawn of time until 30 years ago doen't seem to be a prudent approach. Maybe in 100 years we'll know whether today's processed food diet is truly healthy. In the meantime, melamine anyone?

Edited by jimqpublic on 02/27/2009 13:40:53 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children on 02/27/2009 13:40:04 MST Print View

"Maybe in 100 years we'll know whether today's processed food diet is truly healthy."

More likely, folks in the future will be shaking their heads at how we used synthetics -- like how we look with disbelief at the Romans for using leaded pipes for their water systems.

BTW, I wasn't referring to you specifically in my post above -- although I was guilty of elbowing onto your soapbox to air out my two cents. Sorry for the thread hijack...

Edited by ben2world on 02/27/2009 13:44:04 MST.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Re: Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children on 02/27/2009 13:45:39 MST Print View

No problem Ben. I ride my bicycle, then hop an electric train, then walk to work. Then on weekends I pile the family in the car and tow the camper up to the mountains. (And all my greenie friends think it's cool because I drive a Subaru)

By the way- Aren't campfires carbon neutral?

Edited by jimqpublic on 02/27/2009 13:47:08 MST.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
re: CLO2 on 02/27/2009 13:58:49 MST Print View

Yes, sometimes we over react to health warnings. I have been using iodine tablets for years... but not everyday, inspite of the warnings many people have given me :)

I do think JimQ does make a good point regarding high dosages of chemicals for small children. There are many things in nature and chemistry that an adult can pass through, but not always a small child. I think that parents who take their small children backpacking are not the over-reacting types, but they should investigate what their kids are consuming.

Now back to our regular programming...

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Chlorine Dioxide water purification and children on 02/27/2009 14:47:06 MST Print View

Going from memory, ClO2 byproducts include chlorides, chlorates and trihalomethanes, all of which in large and chronic doses are harmful. Simple chlorination (using sodium hyplochlorite, i.e., bleach) has all sorts of byproducts too. But of course ClO2 use on the occasional camping trip really don't present any sort of realistic risk, especially compared to the viral, bacterial and parasite infections avoided by treatment.

Generally speaking, such disinfection byproducts result from oxidation of organics, so the cleaner the source water the fewer the byproducts, resulting in an even further diminshed risk.

Anybody planning an extended trip and chronically using poor quality source water should perhaps look at two-step treatment such as Cl02, then carbon adsorbtion. But weekenders and week-long hikers probably needent worry at all.

p.s. The comment on the rarity of municipal ClO2 use in the States is correct. Treatment here is mostly limited to chlorine and chloramine.

jason kawaja
(jasonk) - F

Locale: occupied south
chlorine dioxide tablets on 03/05/2009 12:01:47 MST Print View

i've recently been using the chlorine dioxide tablets by potable aqua. most of the water i gather you cant see through too well (river channels) and was surprised to see my water bladder go from green to clear in a couple hours. there was no after taste however wondered about long term exposure.

good info, thanks.

Bob Mitchell
(MountAbbey) - F

Locale: San Diego
Late to the thread - safety while handling on 06/01/2009 10:44:37 MDT Print View

I just bought a packet of tabs. And read the warning on the back after I got home.

What is the safest way to handle these? Do I really need to carry safety google, plastic gloves, and full body armor to use them?

Thanks
bob

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Late to the thread - safety while handling on 06/01/2009 10:58:12 MDT Print View

Bob,

I hadn't thought about any danger in handling them. My concern is dropping them before I dump it into the water bottle. Using the scissors on my dinky knife, I cut one of the edges of the packet off. Then I cut a small slit down the middle of the package. Holding the sealed edge, I dump it into the bottle. Haven't dropped a tablet yet, and haven't touched one either (but that was not my purpose with the method).

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Late to the thread - safety while handling on 06/01/2009 11:59:03 MDT Print View

If you drop one you could use a tiny piece of clean TP to pick it up. :-)

Bob Mitchell
(MountAbbey) - F

Locale: San Diego
Thanks on 06/03/2009 23:16:37 MDT Print View

I'll not worry about it too much and will be a bit careful if I need to use the tablets (will be my backup system.)