Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Trapper mug handle and lid...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Trapper mug handle and lid... on 02/26/2009 14:52:51 MST Print View

Nothing major or breakthrough... but figured I'd post it anyhow.

I finally got around to getting the handle made for my Trapper Mug. As soon as BPL gets their Esbit Wing stove in stock I'll have my solo trip kit fully completed.

Basic run down, I used a clothes hanger and bent it to shape and stripped the white paint off of it. The handle weighs .30 ounces. The lid is just HD aluminum foil folded over 3 times in a manner that left a tab sticking up to remove the lid. weight of lid is .10 ounces. weight of Trappers 475mL mug, spork, lighter, handle and lid totals my mess kit to 2.60+ ounces, (my scale couldn't decide between 2.6 or 2.65 for weight so it's in between) adding the approximate weight of the esbit stove of .4 ounces I'll have a total mess kit weight of 3.0+ ounces for solo endeavors. Hopefully I'll have the stove in time for my wonderland hike this summer.
Trapper Mug Handle
Trapper Mug Handle
Trapper Mug Handle
Trapper Mug Handle
Trapper mug solo mess kit

Edited by rooinater on 02/26/2009 14:55:37 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Trapper mug handle on 02/26/2009 15:38:51 MST Print View

That folding spork sitting next to the the pot made me think that it could also function as a handle. I imagine that some sort of clip could be built into the bottom end, which could catch on the rolled edge of the pot, leaving the tines of the spork to brace against the side.

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Re: Trapper mug handle on 03/02/2009 10:53:29 MST Print View

If the spork folded the other way it could be used as a pot gripper ala trangia style, I wonder if that has ever been looked into.

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Re: Re: Trapper mug handle on 03/02/2009 11:54:59 MST Print View

that would be a great idea Jon. i have never thought of that. if you could have the have spork end be on what would be the top of a trangia style pot holder, and have the bottom fold out to lock in place, it would be perfect. i'd buy one.

Jared Cook
(rooinater) - F

Locale: Northwet
Re: Trapper mug sipper lid on 03/17/2009 22:22:21 MDT Print View

another small update on my solo cook kit project. I've been looking far and wide across a variety of washington coffee houses to find a sipper lid that I could fit onto my trapper mug. low and behold I found it at the Stevens Pass Iron Goat Pizzeria for free. Trimmed it up and stretched her a little to fit. now I have a .1oz sipper lid that's water tight for sipping on my morning trail coffee.
trapper mug sipper lid