Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Gear Sale Guilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Cunningham
(mn-backpacker)

Locale: Land of 12,000 Loons
Gear Sale Guilt on 02/23/2009 19:46:39 MST Print View

Just sold a 6 pound 4 ounce backpack to a guy on craigslist. When he got to my house I wanted to grab him and say "Seriously!? You are going to give ME $100 for a pack that weighs over 6 pounds? Are you NUTS?"

Nice guy, I'm sure he'll love it. But somehow, I felt guilty holding back when he asked why I was selling it - I wanted my $100. I was honest - my gear doesn't even come close to filling 4500ci, but still... 6.25 pounds.

Ever sell gear that made you feel guilty?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Gear guilt on 02/23/2009 20:00:59 MST Print View

Oh yeah. I just sold a Dana Designs / K2 Loadmaster to a guy for a shocking amount of money. And he was thrilled to get. Said he had several of them, loved 'em. I wanted to "enlighten" him, but I just cashed the MO and bought an Exos 58. This web sight isn't hard to find; I found it. And you gotta fund a gear habit somehow.

Edited by skinewmexico on 02/23/2009 20:02:06 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Gear Sale Guilt on 02/24/2009 12:06:46 MST Print View

No I haven't, but let me through a twist into your question: Have you ever sold a piece of gear and then regretted selling it?

Paul Martin
(bearded1) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Sellers regret on 02/24/2009 12:55:39 MST Print View

I regret selling my Hennessey Hammock.

No guilt on gear sales though. One man's trash is another man's treasure. As long as it's a fair price.

Patrick Browning
(optimator) - F
Regret on 02/26/2009 11:59:21 MST Print View

I regret selling my Double Rainbow. It was my first foray into UL shelters. I really didn't give it enough time.

scri bbles
(scribbles) - F

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Re: Regret on 02/26/2009 14:24:56 MST Print View

I have trouble parting with gear even if I only used it once...

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Regret on 02/27/2009 16:49:53 MST Print View

I have trouble parting with gear I've never used.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
No Regrets Here! on 02/27/2009 23:11:23 MST Print View

I am both a gear head and a minimalist who hates clutter! The combination means I buy gear all the time -- but I either return them -- or keep them and sell something else. I just can't stand having stuff piled up.

Basically, I retain two sets of gear -- one UL set for tougher hikes and a second "comfy deluxe" set for use on easier hikes.