Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Shell jacket pattern

Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Matte
(JPMatte)

Locale: N. Georgia
Shell jacket pattern on 02/23/2009 18:36:55 MST Print View

Can anyone recommend an available pattern for a shell,with full zipper and hood?
I've been looking and come up with everything but....Thank you in advance.
Patrick

Huzefa Siamwala
(huzefa)
Re: Shell jacket pattern on 02/23/2009 19:52:15 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog_shell_top.html

good luck!

Isaiah Laderman
(ilader) - F
backpackinglight's jacket pattern on 02/28/2009 18:35:31 MST Print View

I used Backpackinglight's shell pattern to make a jacket with a waterproof zipper out of eVENT. I also made chaps. The jacket is heavier than I'd like, due to the very stiff waterproof zipper. The chaps are shorter and simpler than most: just crotch-length tubes, with ties to hold them up to my belt. The chaps are really light and convenient, and I made the jacket long enough to cover them. Both are really compact.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: backpackinglight's jacket pattern on 02/28/2009 20:29:41 MST Print View

What truck did the eVent fall off of?

Ben Hicks
(mountainhick) - F

Locale: Rocky mountains
Re: backpackinglight's jacket pattern on 03/01/2009 08:02:15 MST Print View

Indeed, where can one get eVent for MYOG?

Yvette Stanton
(withkids) - F
my own windshell on 03/03/2009 15:52:45 MST Print View

I recently completed making a windshell. I didn't want a hood - preferring a hat instead. I searched for a suitable pattern because I really wanted a raglan style sleeve, with a full zip front. In the end I found some free patterns at shelby.fi.

I was able to adapt their Vuokatti shirt for what I wanted. Their shirt was made in knit fabric, and I was using Pertex, so I went up a size from what I would normally wear and made a prototype first out of synthetic lining fabric - scraps I had leftover from making some other clothing. I added a full-length zip down the front. I made a couple of adjustments to the body shape, and was very happy with how it worked out.

I then embarked on the Pertex version, using my adapted pattern. The Pertex was really nice to sew with, making lovely crisp seams.

You can see my finished product at my blog:
http://www.enjoyingtravelwithkids.blogspot.com

It weighs 93 grams with its little stuff sac and 89 grams without. Very happy with the results.

I'd also like to thank Roger Caffin for sending me a pic of the Backpacking Light shell top that he designed (accessible only to subscribers) so I could evaluate whether it was what I wanted before subscribing. On this occasion it wasn't, but I am grateful to Roger for taking the time to send it to me.

Edited by withkids on 03/03/2009 16:31:23 MST.

Brian UL
(MAYNARD76)

Locale: New England
Re: my own windshell on 03/03/2009 18:34:53 MST Print View

That wind shirt looks sweet!

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: my own windshell on 03/03/2009 19:08:43 MST Print View

Nice job Yvette! I've also been looking for a raglan sleeve pattern to make a vapor barrier. I've been trying to figure out how to modify Roger's pattern, but this looks just about perfect. I just need to add pockets, a half zip and a hood, and learn to sew.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: my own windshell on 03/03/2009 22:37:39 MST Print View

Hi Yvette

My pleasure.

Nia:
since my pattern is anything but raglan, Yvette's approach is much better if raglan is what you want..

Cheers

Adam Hurst
(Stormcrowe) - F

Locale: Midwest
Thank you Yvette! on 03/03/2009 23:51:40 MST Print View

I think this is a project I might be able to handle! SO far I have only sewn a baffled down quilt and a poncho tarp. I really want a simple windshirt and I think this is the ticket! You rock!