Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Caldera clone

Display Avatars Sort By:
Reginald Donaldson
(worth) - MLife

Locale: Wind River Range
Caldera clone on 02/20/2009 14:05:36 MST Print View

Clone

Edited by worth on 02/20/2009 14:18:51 MST.

Matthew Roberts
(matthewjamesroberts) - F

Locale: San Fernando Valley
Thanks for sharing on 02/21/2009 15:46:10 MST Print View

Are Caldera Cones made from "Titanium" sheet metal?

This guy does a great job in his video explaining how to make a Caldera Cone. I like his custom handle - allows for a longer reach.

I'm still not convinced making my own Caldera Cone would be of any value - unless I can make it from Titanium sheet metal.

By the time you're done buying the sheet metal and investing 2 hours building it, you could have just spent the $35 and bought the real-deal. Actually, it may be cheaper to buy the genuine Caldera-Cone over the cost of materials.

Edited by matthewjamesroberts on 02/21/2009 15:55:47 MST.

Scott Littlefield
(sclittlefield) - F

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine
Titanium on 02/21/2009 18:38:55 MST Print View

Most all Caldera cones are made from aluminum. You can make them from titanium, but as you said, it gets a bit expensive - and also a bit hard to work with. Aluminum flashing works just fine and is easy to cut.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Caldera clone on 02/21/2009 19:09:56 MST Print View

I do not use a stove, except for on winter trips requiring snow melt for water, preferring to use a cookless diet on the trail. But could a caldera clone be made to function also as a ursack liner? The ursack liner sold is heavy and tall and I've wondered if using ti would not only save weight but also open the possibility of a duel use, a liner and a caldera type clone. Just thinking out loud.

Edited by thomdarrah on 02/21/2009 19:21:06 MST.

Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F - M

Locale: Northern Virginia
Re: Thanks for sharing on 02/21/2009 20:40:05 MST Print View

Titanium Goat makes a titanium cone. Titanium cones have the advantage that you can burn wood in them. Also since it is stronger and more heat resistant than aluminum, you can use paper thin titanium which will make your cone as light if not lighter than an aluminum cone.

In any case, Titanium Goat sells the same titanium they make their cones out of for $16 a square foot. I'm guessing it will take $32 - $48 worth to make a cone.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Caldera clone as Ursack liner on 02/21/2009 22:42:10 MST Print View

Your clone cone might not be of much use after Ursa finished playing with it.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
Galdera clone/ursack on 02/21/2009 22:51:22 MST Print View

Just trying to think outside the sack, so to speak. :)

Matthew Roberts
(matthewjamesroberts) - F

Locale: San Fernando Valley
Ursa? on 02/22/2009 17:53:58 MST Print View

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/TiTri.html
Whew, that's over $100 for the out-of-the box cone.

It also appears they do not make it in my Titan Kettle size (only 900 and 550).

Titanium Foil
http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

From website"
Working with titanium foil:
Titanium foil can be cut with a good pair of scissors quite easily. Holes can be punched using a standard hole punch used for paper, though it will require a lot more force. For the most part you do not need allot of expensive tools, or much skill to work with it. ... The foil is the same thickness as a sheet of paper, so when it comes time to prototype a project, just build it out of paper first. When you get it right with the paper, you have a pattern to trace onto your foil. Unlike the foil we carried previously, this foil is CP2 and is easily formed."

Edited by matthewjamesroberts on 02/22/2009 17:54:50 MST.

Rand Lindsly
(randlindsly) - MLife

Locale: Yosemite
Re: Ursa? on 02/24/2009 01:43:57 MST Print View

>http://www.titaniumgoat.com/TiTri.html
>Whew, that's over $100 for the out-of-the box cone.
>
>It also appears they do not make it in my Titan Kettle size >(only 900 and 550).

Actually.....what we build for Titanium Goat is offered with not just the titanium cone, but the titanium Gram Cracker, the 12-10 Stove, Fuel bottle kit, titanium stakes for wood burning mode, Caldera Caddy, and your choice of the 900ml or 550 ml pot.....so the pot comes with it.

If you are looking for an ala-carte Ti-Tri System without the pot, Trail Designs can do it for you directly....including the Titan Kettle. Head over to our website at traildesigns.com and we can hook you up.

Rand :-)

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
Caldera Clone on 05/28/2009 12:53:13 MDT Print View

For those who'd like to try making their own clone, I produced a pattern generator that allows you to enter the properties of your pan and burner, and print the result. It's written in PostScript, and needs just the values changing to suit your setup.

Whilst it offers a mitre joint, I don't like that, as it's hard to make and not robust in thinner/softer foils, so it also offers a tabbed joint.

caldera clone for MSR Titan

Discussed in this OutdoorsMagic thread

Oh, yeah; it also offers a Fissure option, using interlocking fingers.

Edited by captain_paranoia on 05/29/2009 06:56:59 MDT.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: Caldera Clone Program on 05/28/2009 17:17:17 MDT Print View

I was unable to copy the code from the outdoorsmagic website.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

clone generator on 05/29/2009 06:52:25 MDT Print View

Denis, send me an email address and I'll send you a copy of the latest code; the code in the OM thread is ancient, and not really worth bothering with.

I have 'ready-made' versions (using a 32mm high burner: assuming red bull or chimney burner) for AGG700, AGG2000, Alpkit MytiMug, MSR Titan kettle, Trangia Mini, Blacks 930ml and Blacks 1300ml pans.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Re: clone generator on 05/29/2009 07:49:17 MDT Print View

Captain Kevin,

Thanks for the offer. Try redleader429 at comcast dot net.

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

editing trouble... on 05/30/2009 07:23:39 MDT Print View

Hmm... I need to get the hang of BPL's post entry system...

I'll try to add links to the

OM thread

and

Caldera Clone & Caddy gallery