Forum Index » Chaff » BPL Fall 2005 Print Issue

Display Avatars Sort By:
Bob Gabbart
(bobg) - F
BPL Fall 2005 Print Issue on 12/23/2005 21:48:13 MST Print View

Did the Fall 2005 Print Issue ship yet????

(Anonymous)
re:BPL Fall 2005 Print Issue on 12/23/2005 23:00:02 MST Print View

From Dec 21st's BPL Newsletter:

=========================================
BACKPACKING LIGHT MAGAZINE ISSUE 3 STATUS
-----------------------------------------

Due to circumstances beyond our control, Issue No. 3 is delayed. It is expected
to be mailed to subscribers around the first week of January - bulk mail - so
you should have it in your mailbox a few weeks after that.

We sincerely apologize for the delay, and hope the wait is worth it!

At any rate, if you are a print subscriber, don't fret: we guarantee you'll
receive FOUR issues of the magazine. We expect the regular magazine schedule to
resume with the Spring 2006 issue.

(Anonymous)
No BPL print mag yet? on 01/25/2006 09:20:09 MST Print View

Does anyone have there print mag volume 3 yet? It is nearly the end of January and still no print version here?

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: No BPL print mag yet? on 01/25/2006 09:38:07 MST Print View

I received mine last week. Sorry, I don't remember the particular day. I'm in Connecticut, though I don't know how much distance comes into play with the type of bulk mailing BPL used to mail out the print magazine. It's also a relatively heavily populated area (~80mi NE from NYC) if that has any bearing on speed of mail delivery?

Adam McFarren
(amcfarre) - F
Haven't seen it yet on 01/25/2006 10:58:14 MST Print View

I haven't received my copy yet either. But with bulk rate delivery there can easily be a 1-2 week difference for individual copies to be delivered.

(Anonymous)
Paul Johnson on 01/25/2006 12:24:26 MST Print View

Paul Johnson, or anyone who has BPL #3
Any highlights (or lowlights)? Good articles..not so good features? Come on! Mine hasn't arrived either and I am needy for details!!!

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Paul Johnson on 01/25/2006 12:54:50 MST Print View

I glanced at it. Flipped through it. Haven't read it. Why? In part, I'd rather not say. It's a combo of available time, my mental state, fatigue (my job for the last 3 weeks is switching me between days, nights, and night-day swing shifts with varying starting times and my sleep is disturbed - please excuse me if my posts are more erratic than typical - if that's at all possible!!!), and a couple of other details about the print mag itself that I'd rather not mention. These "not mention"-s are probably more of a personal matter, than any glaring fault with the issue. Probably, when I do finally settle down with it to give it a "fair shake", so to speak, I may find that it will be more interesting than it first appeared to me through half-closed eye lids. At first glance, the articles seemed like they would appeal more to some of the other more experienced and/or well traveled Forum participants whose posts I've read than the articles appeal to me - not a fault of the articles; a fault with me. My final comment I'll keep to myself - thank you for being understanding.

I am looking forward to reading the article "Hot & Bothered: Foot Care in the Heat" however.

(Anonymous)
BPL print #3 reviews? on 01/25/2006 13:29:13 MST Print View

Paul, I singled you out since you were the only one who said they received their copy... I understand and respect your reply to my request....If anyone else would like to share some thoughts about the most recent issue of BPL print consider yourself encouraged!

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: BPL print #3 reviews? on 01/25/2006 13:48:12 MST Print View

No worries. Never felt "singled" out. Loose no sleep over it; I sure won't.

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: BPL print #3 reviews? on 01/25/2006 18:08:24 MST Print View

Got mine here in Georgia on 1-23. I'm pretty pleased with this issue, probably my favorite of the 3. It's thicker than the other two, and better color print quality. Highlights for me would be the very cool interview with adventure racer Isaac Wilson, and a great, if short, photo essay on the GDT. I haven't made it all the way through it yet, but I also appreciate Alan Dixon's extended essay on lightweight kayaking. And there's a classic snow cave photo. It's a hoot.
-Mark

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
BPL Fall 2005 Print Issue on 01/25/2006 20:51:26 MST Print View

Print media is dead and it is about time someone has the courage to bury it.

1. I didn't like the cover photo very much. The focus of the cover seems to be a commercial for a pair of pants made to improve your form and another commercial for a backpack and doggy gear?

2 - I wasn't real happy to see 29 out of 112 pages devoted to a Kayak article. Yes, there is a lot about gear in the article and I like Kayaks. But when I want a Kayak magazine I buy Sea Kayaking. It is full of "drool-over" Kayaks in full color. So for me the lack of color pictures in the Magazine is the bigger problem and not necessarily the content of the article. I still haven't read the Kayak article and don't expect to. Boring black and white pictures. Time for a change. "Think" BackpackingLight - The DVD Magazine.

3 -Next was the 17 pages devoted to an interview with Isaac Wilson. Very exciting and looks about like a Saturday afternoon info-mercial. I will say that he doesn't have as many product patches on his uniform as my favorite NASCAR driver has - yet. Time for a change. "Think" PodCast with a slide show integrated and embedded on BackpackingLight - The DVD Magazine.

4 - Coming at a time when some TV is going without an interruption for commercials by putting them in the background like movies do the magazine is full of product endorsements - paid for or free, no matter. Maybe this is what is necessary to survive in the current day print media. Time for a change. "Think" Print media is dead, lets bury it now. BackpackingLight - The DVD Magazine.

There is an interesting theory called "Diffusion of Innovations" It is all about new ideas and the resistances to implement those ideas because of a reluctance's to change the way we now do things. BackpackingLight is the cutting edge of LightWeight and Super Light Weight Backpacking. It now needs to leap ahead and establish is self as leader in this new media centered around the computer and the internet.

Print media is dead lets bury it now and jump forward.

I want my BackpackingLight Magazine to take advantage of all this new technology and get it on a DVD.

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Not a Neo-Luddite, but.... on 01/26/2006 08:17:46 MST Print View

I have to disagree that BPL would be better as a DVD. If the costs are $5 an issue for a BW print sent bulk mail (which I still cannot comment on because it has not arrived yet)...then a DVD would be at least twice that, and therefore not worth it to me. It seems economies of scale are at work against this relatively small group of folks interested in the "fringe" backpacking topics we are into. I would say that even Backpacker Magazine has a hard time doing it's thing...as it seems to barely look more updated year after year than a Ford Taurus.

I would suggest that more articles relative to adventures with photos...something besides the massive pile of gear info., would be a welcome change on this website. But as far as magazines...they will always have a place in my life....as I just don't feel right toting a laptop into the bathroom!

Adam McFarren
(amcfarre) - F
arrived on 01/26/2006 11:04:45 MST Print View

Hopefully you'll see your copy soon Scott. Mine just showed up today.

May comment on it after I've read it.