Bivy Pattern
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeremy Gustafson
(gustafsj) - MLife

Locale: Minneapolis
Bivy Pattern on 02/17/2009 11:20:52 MST Print View

I have been considering making my own bivy and have been playing a bit with patterns for it. I started with the SMD pattern they have on their website and modified it to fit my intent.

I think I will start with making it out of Tyvek just to see how it shapes up. I am thinking I might even add a zipper to the full length across the top so that I can open it up for venting as needed. It would zip open from both the bottom and the top.

For you MYOG people, check out my pattern and please offer some suggestions if you get a chance.

Thanks!!

Bivy Pattern

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Bivy Pattern on 02/17/2009 13:37:01 MST Print View

Did you see this thread? http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/17099/index.html?skip_to_post=131358#131358. I wonder if Mateusz still has his plans, or if he sent them to Dave as discussed in the thread?

Jeremy Gustafson
(gustafsj) - MLife

Locale: Minneapolis
Re: Bivy Pattern on 02/17/2009 20:37:58 MST Print View

I did see that post... I do like the idea of having more of a bathtub bottom. I might have to play around with my pattern a little more and see if I can redesign it that way. I also like the idea of having the zipper on top with a double zipper. Especially with using Tyvek, it seems like you would want it to be able to vent it a little more. I would definitely only use it under a tarp with the zipper on top...

Dave Heiss
(DaveHeiss) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Bivy pattern on 02/18/2009 17:08:46 MST Print View

Joe,

Mateuze did respond, but with an offer to make one for me. His goal looks to become a UL equipment provider in Europe, so I guess he's holding on to his bivy pattern. It was a nice design, but I was more interested in making one than buying one.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: Re: Bivy Pattern on 02/18/2009 19:48:24 MST Print View

to make the floor tub you can add 3" to each side of the bottom piece, above the foot half circle and remove 3" from each side of the top piece. Sew the top to the bottom then sew up the foot and you will have tub sides without changing your patter much at all. You could also bring the extra 3" around the head if you wish.

If i was going to make a bivy i would skip the curved footbox and make it square like the bottom of a stuff sack. Sew the mesh to the top then the top/mesh to the bottom on sides and bottom. Then sew the little triangles on the bottom to make it 3d(see thru-hiker.com stuff sack instructions) I would just add a drawcord tube at the top to get in and out. You could also put a zipper in one of the side seams if you really wanted. Large patters are hard to put together, it is easy to make rectangles.

-Tim

Edited by MarshLaw303 on 02/18/2009 21:42:09 MST.