Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Tyvek Backpack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeremy Gustafson
(gustafsj) - MLife

Locale: Minneapolis
RE: Tyvek Backpack on 02/17/2009 11:14:24 MST Print View

I'm going to start a new thread for the Bivy Pattern as it is definitely off track from the OP.

Here's the link to the new thread...

We kind of hijacked this thread and I certainly don't want to take away from the great workmanship of the backpack!!

Edited by gustafsj on 02/17/2009 12:31:51 MST.

Kyle Purcell
(dufus934) - F

Locale: North Texas
Nice! on 02/17/2009 12:12:17 MST Print View

Like everyone else has said, this is top shelf work! And please be sure to give a durability report. I have thought about makeing many different things out of tyvek, but durability has been an issue. However, if something as "high traffic" as a pack fairs well, we might see a lot more tyvek around my house. Again, great job.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: Re: Kevlar thread Backpack on 02/18/2009 14:04:43 MST Print View

"As Matthew said, it is very stiff and hard. That means it runs poorly through a machine needle. This can create a lot of friction, which heats up the needle and that then melts the Kevlar in the needle. Messy."

Perhaps you mean Spectra, which has a low melting point.

Kevlar, like Nomex, chars rather than melts, which is
why it is used in fire fighting gear.

Kevlar behaves like a cross between thread and cable. It will
break down some when bent sharply-- like wire or cable. So
you lose some of the strength just running it through the sewing machine.

It also deteriorates in sunlight.

The strongest seams I know in Tyvek come from a heat sealing
machine.

Edited by oware on 02/18/2009 14:07:51 MST.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Kevlar thread Backpack on 02/18/2009 14:44:40 MST Print View

Hi Dave

You may be right about the melting bit. What I found was that the thread frayed at the needle, creating a mess. I ASSUMED this was due to heat, but it may simply have been breaking due to extreme bending at the fine needle.

I have edited my posting accordingly.

Thanks
Roger

John Canfield
(jcanfield) - F

Locale: Cascadia
thread on 12/28/2011 23:53:28 MST Print View

I use db92 Coats Star Nylon Bonded thread for all pack building w/ my walking foot machine. Working with leather, I use 120db.

When using a needle feed machine, I use db69 for pack building, but prefer the strength of the 92 in many instances.

I only use bonded thread. I have repaired a few hundred backpacks and other miscellaneous carry products and have found core spun thread to be a weaker alternative in the long run.

I also agree about the kevlar thread. Not needed!

I have seen a Rip-Curl surfboard bag made in partnership with Dupont. Interesting stuff that tyvek... I am excited to see it in the consumer world outside of homewrap.

Lastly, needle choice is pretty important when working with a new material.

JC

Conner D
(cdipaolo) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re:Tyvek Backpack on 12/29/2011 12:45:07 MST Print View

Kendall,
I recently started MYOG and am using a Singer Brilliance. It was around $115 and I was going to get the non-computerized version (under $100) but they were out of stock. It is a great machine and I'm sure the lower level Singer machine is just as nice. One really nice feature of the Brilliance, though, is the automatic needle threader which has saved me probably 30 min (so far) or just threading needles.
-conner

Edit: sorry, I didn't realize that post was 3 years old haha...

Edited by cdipaolo on 12/29/2011 12:46:08 MST.

John Canfield
(jcanfield) - F

Locale: Cascadia
Tyvek backpack on 12/30/2011 17:02:53 MST Print View

I didn't realize it either! I was looking for info on people who have worked with tyvek, and forgot to look at the date.

JC

Byron Johnson
(BCLA) - MLife
tyvek pack on 12/28/2012 07:04:08 MST Print View

try spiderwire as an alternative thread choice. its a fishing line made to handle anything thrown at it ($15 a spool roughly). many different tinsel strengths but honestly I have caught 20+ pound fish on 8 lb version like they are just not up to the challenge.

if you run it through a machine let us know how it compares; I have only hand stitched to date.

John Menna
(jaymenna78734) - F - M

Locale: Austin, Tokyo Or USVI
Long term Results? on 09/21/2014 10:31:10 MDT Print View

I sure would like to know how well Tyvek held up. It seem like uninteresting choice for a backpack.