Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
OK to layer windproof materials?
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Spencer
(spencerde) - M

Locale: Southwestern Ohio
OK to layer windproof materials? on 02/13/2009 17:27:04 MST Print View

Hi all,

Doing the Circuit in Patagonia in about a month. From what I've read, about the only thing constant there is the wind. I know I need to dress in layers to deal with the constantly changing weather. I would like to have something windproof to wear at all temperature levels. So, is it a bad idea to layer a windshirt (Marmot ION), a TNF Windwall fleece, and an eVent rain jacket? I know these are all supposed to be breathable but is the combination going to be a bad idea? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
TIA,
Dave

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: OK to layer windproof materials? on 02/13/2009 20:22:55 MST Print View

No problems, but I suspect the windshirt is going to be a bit redundant.

Cheers

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
OK to layer windproof materials? on 02/14/2009 01:02:20 MST Print View

I asked Richard Nisley the same question but with regard to the insulating effect of wearing a wind top with a rain jacket. His response was:

>>An air gap, up to 1 cm between the garments, provides the equivalent 1 cm of additional insulation<<

So keep in mind that the combination will likely break the wind a little better but it may also be equivalent to adding a light insulation layer.

David Spencer
(spencerde) - M

Locale: Southwestern Ohio
Re: OK to layer windproof materials? on 02/14/2009 05:53:57 MST Print View

Yeah, my concern is that the combination of these "breathable" materials may no longer be breathable. I would hope I don't need all these layers at once very often but when it's really cold I forsee wearing everything I have with me. If it increases insulation beyond the some of the components, so much the better. I may decide to leave the windshirt at home though. I will also have a MicroPuff vest for an insulation layer.

James Moughan
(jamougha)
OK to layer windproof materials? on 02/15/2009 18:10:04 MST Print View

It helps a lot if the lower layers have good venting options, especially a two-way zip.

A lot of people like to wear their windshirts under their rainproofs. The condensation forms on the rainproof and gets trapped in the gap between it and the windshirt.