2 person double wall shelter
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
2 person double wall shelter on 02/13/2009 17:17:53 MST Print View

I've taken the bug shelter I was playing with a step further and added a shell to make it a double wall. In theory it would pitch with trekking poles at the head and foot. Zippers on both sides and small vestibules.

Specs:

Inner tent floor - 30 sq ft
Inner tent peak height - 44"
Inner tent width - 52"
Inner tent length - 84"
silnylon bathtub floor extending up 3.5"

Shell coverage - 46.25 sq ft
Vestibule coverage - 6.875 sq ft x 2
Shell peak height - 46"
Shell width at head and foot - 58"
Shell width at widest point - 90"
Shell length - 90"

Weight should be around 2 lbs or slightly more not including guylines, stakes, stuffsack, etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by simplespirit on 02/13/2009 17:19:33 MST.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: 2 person double wall shelter on 02/13/2009 19:01:50 MST Print View

I think that will be muggy as heck.
It doesn't look like fresh air has an easy way in at all.

Also if it is that closed down cut the inner wall to a mesh skirt to save the weight.

Also the fly will sag and will need pullout in the middle of the panel (like a ray-way tarp) to pull it up away from the inner/your face.

Your original idea has more merit in my mind as with a tarp overhead you will still get moving air which can cool you, dry gear, cut condensation and move your stink away, FAR AWAY.

The fly doesn't have to surround the bug shelter, that's just a tent and for me there are many reasons i quit on tents.

Obviously if intended for extreme wind and cold then your current setup is better than a floating tarp overhead, but if using it in hot windless areas you'll want as much airflow as possible.

I wouldn't mind it if i were wrong, if others have opinions that differ from mine please share.

-Tim

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: Re: 2 person double wall shelter on 02/13/2009 19:11:32 MST Print View

I wouldn't carry the fly to the ground but it's hard to relay that in Sketchup. As for airflow, it should be about the same as a tarp tent but with a full extra wall so condensation would be less of an issue on the inner tent. That was my thinking anyway. Either way, I'm having fun playing with the software.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Re: 2 person double wall shelter on 02/13/2009 19:18:20 MST Print View

With the original layout (inner tent only + tarp) I was looking at the Speer Winter Tarp since the ends could be pulled in during bad weather.