MontBell Thermal Sheet Users
Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Young
(lightingboy) - F

Locale: Southwest
MontBell Thermal Sheet Users on 02/09/2009 09:20:43 MST Print View

Can any MontBell Thermal Sheet user out there tell me if they are able to layer clothing in this bag.

I'm looking to get one and was wondering if there is room to layer a MB UL down Parka and MB UL down pants in side of this bag.

I'm 5'10" and fluctuate between 155 and 170 depending on the time of year.

I'm also looking to use it in a MB ULSS 4 or 2 with this clothing setup depending on conditions.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

Locale: North Carolina
MontBell Thermal Sheet Users on 02/09/2009 17:30:15 MST Print View

Patrick, I'm 5' 9.5" and weight 155-165 lbs. I have a montbell thermal sheet. I have used it with a montbell UL jacket just fine. I'm guessing it would be fine with pants as well. The lowest temp I used it at was 38 degrees inside a Montbell Dry-Tech Breeze Bivy under a poncho tarp. Only had a 3.45oz CCF pad under me. I was fine but I wished I had brought a fleece cap. Mine weighs 14.3 oz and packs down extremely small.

Jamie

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Fleece cap on 02/09/2009 20:11:35 MST Print View

Re: " I was fine but I wished I had brought a fleece cap. Mine weighs 14.3 oz and packs down extremely small." I can see how a fleece cap that weighs 14.3 oz would add substantial warmth! Is it in the shape of a gigantic turban?

Patrick Young
(lightingboy) - F

MB Thermal Sheet on 02/09/2009 21:31:39 MST Print View

Jamie,
I see your selling yours. Any complaints on the MB thermal sheets performance?
Pat

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

MontBell Thermal Sheet Users on 02/10/2009 19:05:38 MST Print View

Patrick, I have no complaints really. I bought it for a couple of reasons. The main reason was to use it with a golite ion for backpacking. As the ion is fairly small I wanted a light summer bag that would work with it. It worked extremely well on that trip and honestly it took me to temps I wasnt planning on. I like that it can be zipped up or unzipped into a flat blanket. The only negative is it probably is too short for anyone over 5'10".

So why sell...cause I wanted pockets for my waterbottles:)

Here is the story...

On that trip with the thermal sheet and Ion I realized I really like pockets for my water bottles, so I am now using a MLD 09 Prophet. The prophet has a lot more room then the ion so carrying a quilt that is a bit larger works fine. On my last 3 trips I've used a golite ultra 20. I honestly could have gotten by the with Montbell thermal sheet on everynight but one (and I would have saved almost 5 oz), but the weather really was milder then expected. I also recognize that I really like to hike in weather under 65 degrees, the 50's are preferred with nights from 20 to 45 (great temps for NC and VA). But I have also been staying away from really cold weather...ie. if it might be close to zero, I'm tending to pass.

I bought the Thermal Sheet to fit my small pack (ion), to use in warm weather or use as a liner in really cold weather. Well I am no longer using my ion for backpacking, I prefer not to hike in hotter temps and have been wimping out in the really cold stuff....so the Montbell Thermal sheet isnt getting use.

That's about it.

Jamie

Jason Griffin
(JGriffinRN) - F
MontBell Thermal Sheet on 02/10/2009 22:35:39 MST Print View

Jamie, that's the same reason I haven't bought an Ion, even for overnighters. I stick with the Jam2 because it has water bottle pockets. They can easily be sewed on the Ion but I'd rather GoLite put them there. Not sure why.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

MontBell Thermal Sheet Users on 02/11/2009 18:08:05 MST Print View

Yes Jason if Golite only made a pack in between the ion and Jam2 without any frame like the ion and added side pockets. I found that I can take off my MLD prophet, grab water, drink, put back water, and keep walking without stopping. With MLD prophet pockets I don't have to go into my pack at all during a normal day except when its time to camp. Bigger volume and nice pockets and my prophet is only 2 oz heavier then my ion.

Ok so this thread is really about the Thermal Sheet. Since I snapped pictures for my potential buyer I though Patrick might like to see them. I was asked how does the thermal sheet compare to the golite ultra 20, now realize these are different types of quilts, but you can learn something by seeing them side by side.

width
width

side by side
side by side

loft
loft

being used
being used

packed up
packed

Edited by jshortt on 02/11/2009 18:09:13 MST.

Patrick Young
(lightingboy) - F

MB Thermal Sheet on 02/12/2009 06:31:34 MST Print View

Jamie,
Thanks for the comparison photos.
Pat

Brett Peugh
(brettpeugh) - F

Locale: Midwest
t.s. on 02/12/2009 07:37:48 MST Print View

Too bad they don't make a thermal sheet in a long.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Montbell Thermal Sheet on 02/12/2009 16:54:03 MST Print View

Jamie,

Are the baffles continuous, or is there a block opposite the zipper.

Thanks for your time.

Jamie Shortt
(jshortt) - MLife

MontBell Thermal Sheet Users on 02/12/2009 18:04:26 MST Print View

Greg, They are not continuous, ie there is a lengthwise baffle running opposite the zipper. So no the down can not be pushed from the bottom to the top (assume why you asked)...and likewise the down with not unitentionaly shift, it will stay balanced.

Jamie

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: MontBell Thermal Sheet Users on 02/12/2009 18:14:17 MST Print View

Thank you Jamie - Twice.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
changes to new model? on 07/09/2010 17:52:03 MDT Print View

I see it's lightened up by a little (~ 0.7oz) - anyone happen to know what was changed? (besides the color :) )

tia

Edited by mtwarden on 07/10/2010 08:36:04 MDT.

Will Webster
(WillWeb) - M
Quilt for 2? on 07/10/2010 07:53:18 MDT Print View

I'm thinking about using an unzipped Thermal Sheet as a quilt for 2 (couple). Has anyone tried that?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Quilt for 2? on 07/10/2010 09:36:52 MDT Print View

No, but I think it'll be too narrow. MB website gives the dimensions if you want to look into this further.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

changes on 07/12/2010 08:30:27 MDT Print View

got an email back from Montbell stating that nothing has changed (except the color)- the stated weight is 13.8 oz, I thought the earlier ones had a stated weight of 14.5??? oh well :)

how about reviews for this minimalist bag?

tia

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: review on 07/12/2010 10:02:07 MDT Print View

Well, I really like mine -- the early model -- in black and purple color. It's a great summer bag -- honest 50F warmth for just under a pound. A hood is unnecessary for balmy nights 50F and up.

One caveat: the bag is cut slim and is designed to fit nicely inside any of MB's "regular" hooded bags to boost temp. If you're 5'10" or under -- and weigh no more than say 175lbs -- then this can be a sweet summer bag -- and a versatile one too.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

review on 07/12/2010 12:55:40 MDT Print View

thanks!- I'm just a wee bit bigger, 5' 11" 190 lbs

I did find these reviews- two of the guys were a little larger than they recommend and found while not roomy, didn't seem to have too much trouble

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Summer%20Bags%20and%20Liners/Montbell%20ULAP%20Thermal%20Sheet/

have you pushed your bag w/ added clothing at all? I carry a balaclava (in a quilt currently) and always have a down jacket- just wondering realistically what a guy how far one might be able to push (I tend to be on the warm end of the sleeping scale) the bag

tia

Nicholas Truax
(nicktruax) - F

Locale: Montanada
re: review on 07/17/2010 22:32:11 MDT Print View

Hi Mike,

I tried my Thermal Sheet just recently with temps down into the low 40's to 40. I was alone in a BA SL2, vestibule open w/ a breeze, footbox zipped to ~12", sleeping w/ nylon/poly pants, nylon L/S shirt, and UL merino socks. Supplemental insulating layer were close by..

But, no need for them.

I'm not known to be an unusually warm sleeper - with all of my WM bags seeming true to specs. I was only chilly when the breeze would blow on my head (not much more than 3/8" clipped hair). I did have an UL merino beanie that I wore once but I ended taking it off soon after donning.

All in all, great product, price and WEIGHT!

It is now my go-to summer bag/quilt here in the MT rockies...w/ my MB Exlight close by.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Re: re: review on 07/19/2010 22:21:33 MDT Print View

^ ahh that's good to hear

I've got exlight too (and a balaclava if needed :))