Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Trekking Poles - Do I need them? (sorry long thread)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Trekking Poles - Part 2 on 03/02/2009 17:32:20 MST Print View

Well,

I decided to get the LightTrek 4 poles. So far, very happy. On the flats I carry them in one hand about 50% of the time, the rest of the time I 'trek' with them. No noticeable flexing. When climbing hills I experimented with attaching them to the pack via the ice axe loops and velcro straps, but that was too inconvenient. Now I just use them up the hills, and if I need to go on all fours, just hold them in one hand. Here are some pictures...

Trekking Mode - I am a little afraid of snapping one when it gets caught in a rock, but they are so light that I can feel it when they catch, and before I bend them.

Poles in Action

I really don't like to hike where there are other people, so I generally stay off trails and hike cross country where it is unlikely there will be other hikers. Carrying two poles was of some concern, especially on slopes. I found they are so slim and light, I can just hold them in one hand when I need to use all fours to climb, and when needed it is easy to use one or both of the poles for balance.

Here is a slope I needed to climb to the left of the gully. Basically I needed to traverse about 600 feet up this slope. Worked very well, and I was surprise how fast I made it.

Butler Cyn Gully

The view from the top of the slope. Just below that Ocotillo you can see the canyon and foot of the gully where I started.

View of Butler Canyon

Poles for poncho/tarp. I didn't need to use the tarp, but since it was going to be windy at night, I set it up to see how it would work. I am pleased.

Tarp Close Up

In this terrain, it is somewhat difficult to find a place to set up a tarp, because it is mostly rocks and thick vegetation.

Tarp 2

Oh... and what the heck. I might as well do the obligatory SUL pose :)

Base weight = 6 1/2 lbs.

SUL Pose

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Cupping on 03/02/2009 18:28:25 MST Print View

Does anyone beside me cup the butt of the pole handle in the palm of the hand and use the thumb and middle/ring fingers to guide the pole? I find it eliminates hand fatigue and uses the natural flexibility of the wrist to advantage(up and down rather than the more limited side to side) in making pole placements.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Beautiful desert on 03/02/2009 20:45:22 MST Print View

I love these kinds of posts with pictures of your trip and your campsite. And that was some beautiful desert you walked through. Thanks for posting and I am glad you like your poles.