Forum Index » GEAR » Caldera Keg by AGG

Display Avatars Sort By:
Charles Jennings
(vigilguy) - F - M

Locale: Northern Utah
Caldera Keg by AGG on 02/05/2009 23:58:43 MST Print View

I just received my new Caldera Keg today. I decided to buy one based on the recommendations of the BPL staff here. What a cool setup! I boiled two different pots of water from the tap, (I didn't measure the temp), but it was 16 oz, of water and it took 6 minutes each time to achieve a boil, which is okay by me. Things i really like: The cone is a built-in wind screen and pot support. Simple design. Pour in 15 ml of alcohol, light it, put the cone over the top, slide in the keg, and wait for it to boil! I also like the fact that the keg has been marked halfway up, so I know where to fill so that I get 16 oz of water for my freeze dried meals. I also like that food grade plastic container that it fits in. What a great setup! After it quit boiling, I slid the cozy over the keg and it lifted right out of the cone and was very easy to handle. I own a bunch of stoves, but I think that this is going to be my "go to" stove, at least from May to October anyway.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Caldera Keg by AGG on 02/06/2009 10:40:08 MST Print View

It is made by Trail Designs - but sold by AGG :-)

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Caldera Keg by AGG on 02/06/2009 13:49:53 MST Print View

It is the only stove I use now for solo trips. I use the Esbit Gram Cracker stand instead of alky. Very efficient and stable system. Not the *lightest* stove on the market, but the benefits of the screen and Gram Cracker actually make it lighter over several days due to fuel savings. Hard to beat IMHO.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Caldera Keg by AGG on 02/06/2009 16:01:41 MST Print View

I agree whole heartedly! Trail Designs Caldera Cone has changed my camping life :-)

I don't care if it's not the lightest setup because for the extra ounce or two, I get carefree, efficient cooking. I don't even consider alternatives except in the dead of winter when I have to lug my MSR Windpro with the canister inverted to melt snow.

David Mcevoy
(dave_mac68) - F

Locale: Virginia Beach
My Woes on 02/06/2009 19:37:13 MST Print View

I long for the day to try out my Caldera Cone - oh, if only I had a 550ml Ti mug for it!! I suppose I will make do with my Jetboil until the pots are back in stock.:(

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: My Woes on 02/06/2009 19:58:35 MST Print View

Off-Topic from Keg -

David,
Maybe call DJ at Titanium Goat and see IF he has an extra 550 not already mated to a Ti-Tri. He can't break up a set, but Maybe.....

Edited by greg23 on 02/06/2009 20:00:04 MST.

George Andrews
(tinman) - F

Locale: Coastal NC
Re: Caldera Keg by AGG on 02/07/2009 03:03:03 MST Print View

The only thing wrong with the Caldera Keg is that I didn't invent it. :(
Tin Man
AntiGravityGear