Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Gransfors Bruks
Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Gransfors Bruks on 02/05/2009 08:31:06 MST Print View

Anyone else have or really want a Gransfors Bruks axe?

http://www.gransfors.us/axes.html

Doesn't fit into the UL picture, but what a beautiful tool.

Soon.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643)

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Gransfors Bruks on 02/05/2009 09:03:08 MST Print View

Hi Craig,

I've got the Small Forest axe which I use car camping and also the smallest they make, the mini, which I sometimes use when bike camping.

The mini is really useful, and can be used in place of a knife.

Edited by dag4643 on 02/05/2009 09:03:57 MST.

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
Re: Re: Gransfors Bruks on 02/05/2009 16:31:44 MST Print View

Yep. My buddy in forestry swears by GB. I've been wanting the Wildlife Hatchet, for those firewood-intensive winter basecamps (makes it A LOT easier to coax friends out of indoor hibernation). Next winter, I think. Something small like that is really handy when felling trees w/ a chainsaw too - to strip the branches, etc. Eventually I probably get a Small Splitting Axe for woodstove stokin' at home.

You might check your local flea market or a farm sale for old tools first, though. Many old axes were made to this quality. Check out the double-bit Nessmuk axes by Lee Reeves too.

David Noll
(dpnoll) - MLife

Locale: Maroon Bells
Gransfors Bruks on 02/05/2009 19:09:49 MST Print View

I've a GB for 7 or 8 years and take it up to the BWCAW 1-2 times every year. There are much lighter axes out but nothing
else of that quality.

Scott Toraason
(kimot2)
Re: Gransfors Bruks on 02/07/2009 11:39:51 MST Print View

I keep the GB American Felling Axe in the back of my SUV when I go up long forestry roads to distant trail heads, especially in the winter, never know when it will be needed on the way out.

Craig Burton
(MissingUtah)

Locale: Smoky Mountains
Re: Gransfors Bruks on 02/08/2009 07:13:22 MST Print View

For the past several months I've been mulling the GB Mini Hatchet as an all-purpose tool for bushcraft around camp. At only 11oz and top-quality... why not? I see it having much more utility than a fixed-blade that weighs just a few ounces less.

I wish I would have grabbed one earlier. When I first started looking at the Mini a few months ago they were under $100; now you can't find one for any less than $140.

If I ever needed a larger chopping or splitting axe for some reason I would begin and end my search in the GB catalog. They are masterpieces.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Gransfors Bruks on 02/08/2009 11:13:34 MST Print View

I had no idea they made an 11 oz. model.

For certain trips, that's a very packable weight- less than a snow shovel or other specialized tool.

. Callahan
(AeroNautiCal)

Locale: Stoke Newington, London, UK.
GB Mini Hatchet. on 03/31/2009 10:30:21 MDT Print View

I bought my GB Mini unseen, on the basis of extremely positive feedback from respected reviewers.

The first impression is of how beautiful, well made, sharp, small and light the Hatchet is. The ability to use it as a knife is appreciated.

Some Paracord around the handle gives a more secure grip (and a supply of Paracord!).

I love mine, and wouldn't part with it for anything. If it seems pricey, divide the cost by the 20 year warranty, it works out to be pennies, and the Hatchet will last a lot longer than 20 years!

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

Locale: Outside
"Gransfors Bruks" You better axe somebody on 03/31/2009 10:37:31 MDT Print View

I have been using these for about 7 years and they are great. I dont know which one I have but the head weighs about a pound and the handle is 14". So far this year I have used it to chop 2.5 cords of hard wood. I use mine daily and love everything about it. All my heat comes from my wood stove, this axe is literly a life saver. the day I bought mine I shaved my face with it just to see if I could. I give it a 10. Ali

Edit: If I had to find any negitive quality's the only one I have found is that it does not throw well. I continue to use my Tracker T-2 which can be thrown with deadly acuracy, and is also very well balanced for knife fighting. It also works very well as an axe.:)

Edited by barefootnavigator on 03/31/2009 10:43:14 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: "Gransfors Bruks" You better axe somebody on 03/31/2009 18:43:44 MDT Print View

" I continue to use my Tracker T-2 which can be thrown with deadly acuracy, and is also very well balanced for knife fighting."

Ali,

I'm devastated, man. All this time I thought you were an avatar of peace and enlightenment in this den of Quick Draw McGraws. Tell me ain't so? Puleeeeeze...

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Gransfors Bruks on 03/31/2009 19:44:04 MDT Print View

Great, now there is some other expensive piece of gear I want, but don't need.

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

"Gransfors Bruks" on 03/31/2009 20:28:28 MDT Print View

"I'm devastated, man. All this time I thought you were an avatar of peace and enlightenment in this den of Quick Draw McGraws. Tell me ain't so? Puleeeeeze..."

Tom, keep the faith my brother, Just because I have the knowledge doesnt mean I use it. Guns knives swords arrows, I know them all well, Just like fighting, I have studied hand to hand combat for over twenty years. Do I fight? No becuase I dont have to. Like Cane from Kung Foo I wander the earth in peace. All my battles are fought with my brain. Ali

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: "Gransfors Bruks" on 03/31/2009 20:34:40 MDT Print View

"Like Cane from Kung Foo I wander the earth in peace. All my battles are fought with my brain. Ali"

Ah so, "The Peaceful Warrior".

Thanks Ali, for restoring my faith.

Tom

Ali e
(barefootnavigator) - F

"Gransfors Bruks" on 03/31/2009 20:43:13 MDT Print View

Back to cutting tools...my daily ritualtracker t2