Winter Jacket - 22oz
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Wills
(willspower3) - F
Winter Jacket - 22oz on 02/04/2009 20:23:55 MST Print View

Hey everyone, I just got done making my first insulated jacket and I wanted to share it. It is a hooded, full zip, no pocket variety with a waist bungee, and a hood bungee. The arms in the pattern finished 3" too short, so I added double layer fleece cuffs on the ends. It has a layer of 5 oz climashield xp all the way around, is made with 1.5 oz ripstop on the outer, and a softer ~1.5 oz miniripstop for the liner. Total weight is 22 oz. It replaces my Montbell thermawrap parka for cold (twice the insulation, only 8oz more!) and will accompany me through however much of the AT I can manage to get done when I leave in a few weeks.
winterjacket
winterjacket2

Edited by willspower3 on 02/04/2009 20:24:41 MST.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Great! on 02/04/2009 21:38:29 MST Print View

Looks great! If you remake, you could go with a lighter insulation in the arms to reduce bulk and weight. Montbell does this with their jackets.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Winter Jacket - 22oz on 02/05/2009 00:14:52 MST Print View

> I added double layer fleece cuffs on the ends.

That's not so silly, actually. I have found that having big puffy down cuffs near my hands can be a worry while I am cooking over a stove.

Cheers

Kevin Egelhoff
(kegelhoff) - F

Locale: Southern Cal
Re: Winter Jacket - 22oz on 02/05/2009 11:10:25 MST Print View

David,
VERY nice work. The super high neck going into the hood looks really nice! Please do a writeup after testing it out to tell us how it works!

Kevin

ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
cuffs on 02/06/2009 09:06:03 MST Print View

i agree with the cuffs, i like the warmth of long sleeves, but i find that i am constantly pushing them up my forearms. which i why i opt for a vest most of the time. it may be one of those good accidents. by the way, the jacket looks great!