XUL First Aid Kit
Display Avatars Sort By:
Unknown abc
(edude) - F
XUL First Aid Kit on 02/03/2009 20:14:47 MST Print View

I have been researching first aid kits recently, trying to reduce the weight of mine. Here goes:

1.4 adhesive fabric small strip bandages
2.2 oval adhesive bandages-works great for knuckles
3.2 alcohal wipes
4.4 butterfly closures
5.2 small tubes triple-antibiotic ointment
6.12 ibuprofen in foil
7.2 ft. self-adhesive gauze tape
8.2 medium sized clothespins

0.5 oz.!!!

-Evan

Edited by edude on 02/03/2009 20:16:02 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: XUL First Aid Kit on 02/03/2009 20:27:10 MST Print View

This is a topic of interest to me...I have a 1 ounce kit, but have never used more then a bandaid, advil, and some moleskin...do I really need more?

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Looks good. on 02/03/2009 20:29:17 MST Print View

Looks good - I would add a pair of non-latex gloves and some anti-diarrhea meds.

As to anymore, if you need anymore you need serious medical attention - you're then dealing with major bleeding or some goofy illness. In Ryan's book, he mentions taking broad-spectrum antibiotics on trips, but these are not so readily available.

Edited by citystuckhiker on 02/03/2009 20:31:32 MST.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"XUL First Aid Kit" on 02/03/2009 20:33:06 MST Print View

Ok, what diarria meds do you recommend (it cannot require a perscription)?

cheers

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Meds on 02/03/2009 20:36:59 MST Print View

Whatever works for you in normal life - I use some generic pill that has worked for me at home and in the field. I take about 2-4, depending on the length of the trip.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"XUL First Aid Kit" on 02/03/2009 23:29:52 MST Print View

It seems as though y'all dig my new first aid kit, so im gonna start looking for a good anti-diarria meds, and then i will tell y'all what it weighs.

cheers

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
"xul" first aid. on 02/04/2009 09:57:38 MST Print View

For an "XUL" (not sure what that means) first aid kit for most trips, I'd say you don't need much of that. In a little ziplock, I'd bring:

3 ibuprofen/day (pain, inflammation)
1 benadryl/day (allergic reaction, sleep aid)
2 triple-antibiotic ointment packets
2-3 ft. of leukotape
perhaps 2 small safety pins

I'd use the leukotape and some TP (or fabric if serious) to make whatever bandage you need. Use clean water (or Aqua Mira) for cleaning wound. Use safety pins (also used for gear repair, etc.) to pin things up. Improvise other things. I wouldn't bring anti-diahrreal unless I was concerned about dehydration (where there is little water) or being on a long bus trip, etc.

You might want to Search Forums on "first aid" as this has been talked about many times in the past. Probably lots of good info floating around.

For a serious trip into the backcountry for lots of time, I might bring more, but usually you can get out in a day or less, so a minimal kit is fine. Anything major will usually mean get the heck out and get to a hospital, or get evac'ed out. I did the PCT for 5 months on a kit like the above, and only used the ibuprofen. YMMV.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"XUL First Aid Kit" on 02/04/2009 12:27:07 MST Print View

What is meant by XUL first aid kit is that it weighs so little, that even serios people like Adventure Alan, it's not going to seriosly affect pack weight.

For some reason, I have devolped diarria on the first day of some campouts when the day before, at home, i was fine. So, i think diarria meds are going to be a must for me from now on.

Why take Leokotape? I am already using the duct tape on trekking poles for blisters, and on the product page it says it's only for blisters! I think i prefer self-adhesive gauze tape, covered with duct tape to keep dirt and such out and to keep it on while hiking.

-Evan

Edited by edude on 02/04/2009 12:27:49 MST.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
xul first aid. on 02/04/2009 17:27:57 MST Print View

well, it still seems like you are carrying things you probably don't need (clothespins?!) or things you can improvise (bandages, dressings). and it's missing one of the best, benadryl!

also your "12 ibuprofen" is hopefully changed based on trip length, to 3 per day or whatever. if it's on overnighter, i'll take 3. if it's a weeklong without resupply, i'll take 21.

as far as anti-diahhreals, unless it's a dehydration danger or a long bus trip, i'd rather get all that junk outta my body, even if that means frequent pit stops. ymmv.

as far as duct tape or first aid tape vs. leukotape p, read the reader reviews or search the forums for more info. it's got duct tape beat by a mile. ryan jordan says "anybody still using duct tape is living in the dark ages."

Edited by DaveT on 02/04/2009 17:30:51 MST.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"XUL First Aid Kit" on 02/04/2009 17:43:12 MST Print View

>ryan jordan says "anybody still using duct tape is living in the dark ages."

And how is that???

Duct Tape is extremely useful, it can be used not only for first aid, but repairs, and keeping annoying people shut-up.

cheers

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Locale: Central NC, USA
Re: Re: XUL First Aid Kit on 02/04/2009 19:00:14 MST Print View

"This is a topic of interest to me...I have a 1 ounce kit, but have never used more then a bandaid, advil, and some moleskin...do I really need more?"

Not till you get hurt, you don't.

Think about hiking out 3 days with a badly sprained ankle/knee and only having 3 Ibuprofens a day. Need sleep, nah, it's over rated.

Even RJ has prescription pain meds. How about removing cactus spines? Got a good pair of tweezers and a needle?

Think about being 3 days from an exit, spend the few onces, you're worth it.

Edited by malndman on 02/04/2009 20:34:55 MST.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"XUL First Aid Kit" on 02/04/2009 22:08:55 MST Print View

I am just curious, how do you use Leukotape P Sports Tape (since it is not sterile) on a serios wound?

And don't you also need a tincture of Benzoin too?

-Evan

Edited by edude on 02/04/2009 22:27:28 MST.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: XUL First Aid Kit on 02/05/2009 06:40:34 MST Print View

Michael. I agree with you...that's why I have a 1 oz. kit but usually bring my 3.71 ounce kit. Which leads to why I am interested in this thread. I haven't scrutinized over my kit because I haven't really used much out of it. A few years ago I had a guy chop his foot pretty good with an axe while in camp. I ended up taping a feminine napkin (maxipad) to his foot, having him spend the night and then hiking both the packs out.
I'm more interested in refining my kit to bring what I will actually use - or what will cover a broader range of injuries...but I totally hear where you are coming from.

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Re: "XUL First Aid Kit" on 02/05/2009 06:54:02 MST Print View

"how do you use Leukotape P Sports Tape (since it is not sterile) on a serious wound?"

That is something I see missing from lots of kits...sterile gauze. If you carry an Alcohol stove, you could sterilize a rag (bandanna, ripped up tee shirt, etc.) and use that. Problem for me is that I do not have "extra" cloths and try to carry only 2 extra meals worth of fuel. That ain't much.

:o I guess I could rip up the ZeoLine undies I have on! ;)

Personally, I have 3 3" sterile gauze pads in my kit, but my kit weighs in at 6 oz, including 2 Ace bandages (needed for kneed on extended (+3000') rough descents, 'script pain and antibacterial cream, tweezers, gloves (might have to help someone else who is bleeding) etc.

But, I am worth saving.

Edited by malndman on 02/05/2009 06:56:51 MST.

Michael Landman
(malndman) - F

Re: Re: XUL First Aid Kit on 02/05/2009 06:55:44 MST Print View

"I ended up taping a feminine napkin (maxipad) to his foot"

That is something even I do NOT have in my kit. LOL

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
"xul" first aid. on 02/05/2009 09:44:58 MST Print View

i've never used leukotape personally, but it apparently does what duct tape does, and does it better. so that's why people use it. "sterile" is relatively - if i cut myself badly and have to hike 12 hours out to the nearest road to get help, i'll use part of a shirt or whatever, sterilize things in aqua mira, tape it on and get to getting.

i agree on bringing some prescription pain meds along as a backup for real pain (enough to deal until you can get out), especially if you are a day or more away from getting out.

of course each kit needs to be tailored to the situation. if you have a three-day hike out to the nearest road/town, you might carry more. if you have a member of your party who carries an axe (and perhaps is also clumsy), you might carry more. you have to tailor the kit to circumstances.

and this topic is "XUL kit" so i guess it presumes a VERY minimal kit, just like an XUL backpacking trip load. obviously you can always add more bandages, gauze, scissors, ace bandages, etc. depending, just like you can always add another insulation layer, thicker sleeping pad, more food, reading book, ipod, etc. to a backpacking kit. there's obviously a continuous gradation between no injury and deadly injury, and no first aid materials to an ambulance. the key is to carry an appropriate amount to deal with the likely situations in a reasonable manner.

Ryan Dunne
(donryanocero)

Locale: Humboldt
drugs and stuff on 02/05/2009 18:22:04 MST Print View

I'm curious, what are the clothespins for?

As far as ibuprofen, I carry enough for the maximum daily dosage for half the duration of the trip. But I never take the stuff for owwies and aches. heh.

Mine's not quite as light as yours, but here it is:
First Aid kit in Small Aloksak

Antibiotic, Triple, 1/32 oz 3ea
Gauze, 2x2, 8ply 3ea
Tape Adherant, Benzoin, Tincture, 2ea
Super Glue, 1 tube
Antihistamine, Diphenhydramine, 25mg, 4ea
Analgesic / Antipyretic, Acetaminophen ,500mg, 5ea
Anti-diarrheal, Loperamide, 2mg, 4ea
Anti-inflammatory, Ibuprofen, 220mg, 24ea

weighs like 1.2 oz, supplies for 7 days.

I also have 3 feet of leukotape wrapped around a alcohol bottle, but that's in my toiletries bag.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"XUL First Aid Kit" revised on 02/05/2009 22:47:03 MST Print View

2 1/32oz. tubes of Triple antibiotic ointment
2 small strip bandages
2 oval bandages
1 small needle
1000 mg of Tylenol
400 mg of Ibuprofen
2 Alcohol wipes
4 butterfly closures
2 ft. Leukotape P Sports Tape
1 Compound Tincture of Benzoin

Evan

Edited by edude on 02/05/2009 23:14:31 MST.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"XUL First Aid Kit" on 02/06/2009 22:20:48 MST Print View

Is there a cheaper alternative to Leukotape P Sports Tape that I could find at Walgreens or RiteAid?

-Evan

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
cheaper alternative to Leukotape P Sports Tape on 02/07/2009 14:00:02 MST Print View

bump