November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What fabric to use??
Display Avatars Sort By:
Cali Terrasas
(cal429258) - F

Locale: So Cal
What fabric to use?? on 02/03/2009 18:27:57 MST Print View

Hi there
Ok so I am really new to the whole make your own gear thing but I am really excited and have been practicing on my sewing with basic patterns from my local fabric store
Any way I have been reading a lot on here with all the different gear and ideas but.

I am getting confused and just need some basic help and advice on what and where to buy a few things.
So here it goes.
I want to make,
1. Pull over rain coat
2. Hiking cargo shorts
3. Down quilt
4. Bivy sack
5. Tarp like shelter

Here is my query? What material should I buy for each of these projects and if you could be so kind where do I order them?
I will be trying all kinds of patterns and test runs on each before making them but I still don’t want to have to sell a kidney to buy the materials. But I do want it to work well
I am not an “ultra lighter” exactly but I do like lightweight gear. So I need more need for function then to be able to say, “my pack is lighter then yours”.

Thanks guys and I hope to hear back from any one with any thoughts and ideas

Teach me I am here to learn!

Edited by cal429258 on 02/03/2009 18:29:47 MST.