Forum Index » Gear Lists » Tylenol AND Ibuprofen?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Unknown abc
(edude) - F
Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/02/2009 22:02:31 MST Print View

Do you really need both?

It seems as though Ibuprofen is much more flexible, (and I know it works really well for me).

So, do I really need both?

Cheers

Edited by edude on 02/02/2009 22:08:42 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
How much of each? on 02/02/2009 22:10:20 MST Print View

A couple foil packs of Tylenol wouldn't upset the cart. I carry it as much for someone else as for myself, like much of my first aid gear. Tylenol is good for fevers and won't upset your stomach as much as ibuprofen can. Ibuprofen is effective on inflammation, which Tylenol won't do anything for, I would carry ibuprofen as a first/only choice.

Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/02/2009 22:13:35 MST Print View

They work differently for different people. For me:

Motrin works best for back or muscle aches and it's okay for headaches.

Tylenol works best for headaches, okay for muscle aches, not much good for back aches.

Aleve doesn't seem much use for anything. (Again, for ME)

So I carry enough Motrin for 200 mg routine dose every night plus plenty to spare if I get sore (4 pills per day in the kit). Last summer I ran across two people who had hurt their knees and one of them was very happy to receive an extra 20 motrin pills.

Jim

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"Tylenol AND Ibuprofen?" on 02/02/2009 22:16:29 MST Print View

I usually take

8 200mg ibuprofen

6 500mg tylenol

and it's not neccasarily less weight i'm after, but sheer simplicity!

Edited by edude on 02/02/2009 22:19:00 MST.

nanook ofthenorth
(nanookofthenorth) - MLife
... on 02/02/2009 22:33:56 MST Print View

They work diferently too. You can take one and then (about halfway through the first dose, or sooner) the other.
The higher drug load in your system and the fact that the two target diffrent pain centers means that the two taken together over time can be used as an alternative to T3's ect.
Or so I've been told

James Douthitt
(prana2525) - F

Locale: Kentucky
ibuprofen and more! on 02/02/2009 22:35:43 MST Print View

ibuprofen, or nsaids (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) covers widest range of common and emergency situations.

my first-aid is around 6oz with:
ibuprofen-common stuff
aspirin- cardiac emergencies (other people, not me)
tylenol pm- long day, horrible camping spot, loud tarp

WFR course is def. not lightweight...

Michael Williams
(qldhike)

Locale: Queensland
Tylenol (Acetominophen / paracetamol) vs Ibuprofen on 02/02/2009 23:23:56 MST Print View

Just reiterating what most people have said:

Tylenol (AKA acetominophen or paracetamol) works on fevers and pain - Usual dose 1g four times a day
Less likely to have side effects compared to ibuprofen

Ibuprofen works on fever, pain and inflammation - Usual dose 400mg three times a day
More likely to cause side effects and caution in patients with asthma, high blood pressure, kidney problems, heart failure and on blood thinners and probably other things I've forgot.

You can use both together and get better pain relief.

I usually just take some ibuprofen. For the gram weenies I'm pretty sure ibuprofen tabs are lighter than paracetamol but it probably depends on the brand.

Hope this helps,
Michael

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/03/2009 00:30:50 MST Print View

Never carried either.
I find the idea of relying on drugs completely unacceptable.

No apologies.
Cheers

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Tylenol (Acetominophen / paracetamol) vs Ibuprofen on 02/03/2009 00:46:31 MST Print View

Maybe I am one of the lucky ones -- both Ibuprofen and Acetominophen work well and quickly for me.

When it comes to "multiple aches and tension" at the end of a long hike -- such as both headache from elevation and muscle pain from exertion -- I too find that taking one of each (instead of two of either) brings about even faster relief.

Given the above and the fact that these tablets weigh just about the same -- I usually take a few of each with me. Popping one of each instead of two of either means no weight penalty at all.

Edited by ben2world on 02/03/2009 00:50:36 MST.

Michael Williams
(qldhike)

Re: Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/03/2009 05:52:58 MST Print View

Roger,

When you say relying on drugs, do you mean taking them regularly during a hike or having them in case you need them?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/03/2009 20:59:18 MST Print View

Evan,
One(Tylenol/acetomenaphin) is a painkiller, the other is an anti-inflammatory. Different drugs for different problems. Neither is meant to be snorted or smoked, BTW. ;)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/03/2009 23:53:57 MST Print View

Hi Michael

My first aid kit has a few Panadol for emergencies. We have to throw them out every few years and replace them with new ones because they get too old. The same applies at home.

So, to answer your question: I don't object to having pain killers or anti-inflammatories in a first aid kit. That's a personal choice. But we do not use them except in genuine emergencies - which we usually manage to avoid.

The idea of taking a drug each night just to sleep - no way! Not at home, and not in the bush. Anyhow, I am usually tired enough that they would be quite superfluous. And the idea of not being able to wake up fast in the middle of the night to handle an emergency (like in When Things Go Wrong) - no thanks!

Ymmv.

Cheers

Michael Williams
(qldhike)

Re: Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/04/2009 00:53:04 MST Print View

Hi Roger,

I was just curious, but I agree with you.

Thanks,
Michael

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
Tylenol amd Ibuprophen on 02/04/2009 00:59:38 MST Print View

My first aid kit always contains 400 mg Ibuprophen tablets as well as T3's. The 400 mg dose tablets reduce the number I have to carry. I occasionally have knee problems while hiking (well worn knees) and the T3's handle pain while the Ibuprophen is supposed to manage the swelling.

I'm afraid I'm with Roger though... I have to be pretty bad before I'll take anything while backpacking. Two items that I always carry and hope never to use are my rain gear and first aid kit.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/04/2009 05:04:43 MST Print View

What?! No BC powder??? Doesn't anyone carry this wonder drug? : )

James Douthitt
(prana2525) - F

for emergencies on 02/04/2009 08:10:05 MST Print View

Just as you stated roger, drugs in my kit are for emergencies.

can't say i have ever used any of meds in my kit, let alone rely on them/ use them everyday!

not a user, im a hiker ;)

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tylenol AND Ibuprofen? on 02/04/2009 11:33:39 MST Print View

>The idea of taking a drug each night just to sleep - no way! Not at home, and not in the bush. Anyhow, I am usually tired enough that they would be quite superfluous. And the idea of not being able to wake up fast in the middle of the night to handle an emergency (like in When Things Go Wrong) - no thanks!<
Roger, I agree with you, I also find it interesting that on a current thread others are extolling the virtues of trying to dull the senses with liquor, cigars and other “drugs”.
I really find this odd- besides wanting to “being able to wake up fast in the middle of the night to handle an emergency” I want to fully enjoy my experience in the backcountry.
Just my 2 cents.
Sorry for being of topic.

Daniel Fosse
(magillagorilla) - F

Locale: Southwest Ohio
Meds on 02/05/2009 10:56:25 MST Print View

Mmmmmmmm cigars and liquor. I can attest that liquor is an extremely effective pain reliever. However, it may be unwise to drink liquor if you are sick and or injured (I hope this is stating the obvious). I have never noticed any medicinal purpose for cigars.

Aleve, or naproxen sodium, is a very effective anti-inflammatory for me. I usually take 2. Otherwise, any of them (aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium) work for me for getting rid of a headache. I use these medications maybe 2 times a year and have no tolerance built up for them which is why I think they are so effective on me. I usually pack in (aspirin or acetaminophen) and (ibuprofen or naproxen sodium).

I would also recommend melatonin as a sleep aid instead of diphenhydramine, aka Tylenol PM. Melatonin, for me, is more mild on my body and will allow me to fall asleep without “knocking me out”. It is a naturally occurring hormone in the body. I have never used this backpacking, only at home. It is nice because I can wake up in the middle of the night without feeling disoriented if I need to. In the backcountry Whisky usually puts me to bed quite nicely.

I also highly recommend an anti-diarrheal med like, loperamide hydrochloride (Imodium), or at least some bismuth subsalicylate tabs (Pepto).

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
tylenol, etc. on 02/05/2009 11:12:26 MST Print View

pyop. (pop your own pills)

i think ibuprofen, benadryl, tylenol, etc. all have their applications here and there. also long hard days of hiking definitely have their way of making you sleep anywhere/anytime/through anything.

and if you think that a nip of scotch at night in camp wiill diminish your outdoor experience by dulling your senses and your overall appreciation of nature, that just makes me smile. plus it means more booze for me!

James Douthitt
(prana2525) - F

meds on 02/05/2009 13:59:51 MST Print View

dan, i'll have to check out melatonin.

the tylenol pm is for "just in case" and def. don't like being totally knocked out if i do use it.

i like to be able to pop out of my sleeping bag if, say, a meteorite lands close to my tarp, a bear grabs my foot, etc ;)

Edited by prana2525 on 02/05/2009 14:03:48 MST.