Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Orion Stove

Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Orion Stove on 01/31/2009 20:08:13 MST Print View

http://zenstoves.net/Templates/OrionStoveandStand.pdf

I have used this stove a number of times and find it really works great. And since it weighs nothing it's a no-brainer to carry.

I am wondering if anyone has ideas of a way to store this stove without it getting crushed. I have 1 i made a few years ago that i have used but it recently got smashed. I was able to get it back to shape, but i think eventually it will leak.

Any ideas would be great.

-Tim

P.S.
Maybe an idea of how to make the same thing from more sturdy materials

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Orion Stove on 02/01/2009 08:07:01 MST Print View

Can't you just carry it in your cook pot? Or, what about one of those round, clear plastic snap lid containers? REI selld them in various sizes and you could probably find one bi enough for the stove.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Orion Stove on 02/01/2009 08:22:28 MST Print View

the plastic case is a good idea. My thinking however is the case weighs more than other good alc stoves, so i could just carry a diff stove to save weight.

I was just wondering about storage options that would keep the weight bellow other stove choices.

As far as in the pot. That only works if its the only thing in the pot. If something else is in there they smash together.

Really the stove is made from a cupcake foil, it's very fragile. I think the fragility may force me to use something else.

I just like this stove and enjoy the reactions it gets, being nearly weightless is nice too.

(i don't use the pot stand from the pics, just the burner)

-Tim

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Another Idea on 02/01/2009 16:54:59 MST Print View

OK, got it. So, you mentioned makin the same design out of more durable materials. What about fitting 2 tea-light tins together and cutting a hole in the center? It won't be bombproof but maybe more durable than the foil.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Another Idea on 02/01/2009 18:15:19 MST Print View

i thought about that. I may give it a shot. I think the fuel capacity is smaller though.

Really i may abandon alc stoves all together in favor of wood.

-Tim

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Wood Stove on 02/02/2009 19:41:03 MST Print View

Hey Tim,
Which wood stoves are you considering?

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Re: Wood Stove on 02/02/2009 20:39:42 MST Print View

Jason,

For now i am using campfires to boil water(in safe well used fire pits). I have made a couple beer can bushbuddy style stoves. I like them but they are tipsy and i don't like burning the forest down.

I loved the ceramic fiber wood stove idea posted on here and like the kelly kettle style of stove. I am in no rush to find something "perfect" as i try out a bunch of diff ideas.

-Tim

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Wood Stove on 02/02/2009 20:46:03 MST Print View

Tim,
the Orion is light, but it still needs a pot support. Have you tried Fuzzy's L'l Stove, also on the Zen site? It is its own pot stand and if you make it with a Red Bull or 6 oz. V8 can, it will weigh only 7 grams. You still need a bottom reflector and wind screen, but 7 grams (.25 oz) is still pretty good. And you don't have to worry much about crushing it.