Forum Index » Winter Hiking » Alcohol Stove use in Winter

Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Sustr
(czechxpress) - F - M

Locale: Boulder
Alcohol Stove use in Winter on 03/09/2009 10:52:17 MDT Print View

Alright,

I tried a bunch of different alcohol stoves the last two weekends while teaching Winter Camping school in the Colorado Rockies. Here's a list of what i tried and the results:

MBD Choke Hazard w/ Heinken can and pot stand:

I poured 22 oz of about 45 degree water into the heineken can; using about 1 1/2 oz of Heet alcohol and got a boil in 9 min 34 sec. Temp outside was 17 degrees and about a 5 to 10 mph wind. I did use a foil windscreen which covered about 2/3rds of the pot stand to block the wind.

Caldera cone TI with 500 ml BPL cup:

I used just under 500 ml of water at about 45 degree's temp; using about 1 oz of Heet alcohol I was able to get it to boiling in about 8 min 22 second before the alcohol ran out. Again outside temp was down to 13 degree's and 10 to 15 mph winds.

Fancy Feast can and BPL .9L pot:

I filled the pot to the top and sat that on top of the fancy feast can using a foil wind screen around it and 1 1/4 oz of alcohol. The burn time was 7 min 12 seconds and I was only able to get to the point where it was hot but, not boiling. There were small bubbles at the bottom of the pot but, it never got to the boiling point. Outside temp was about 22 degree's with very little wind if any.

All of the above tests were done with the stove/pot just sitting outside in the cold and also having the alcohol sitting in the cold as well. My base was a Frisbee I use to get my stoves off the snow. The water had either been sitting outside in a cozy for a while or was either inside my marmot windbreaker jacket.

I will definately use the MBD system again as it is easy to use and I can keep giving it more alcohol to get it to a boil. Its also convenient to use when all you want is a cup of tea and I don't have to pull out my Dragon fly to get hot water.

If you have any questions or comments let me know. Thanks!