Spring Gear List
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Vandenberg
(matty204) - F
Spring Gear List on 01/29/2009 00:48:57 MST Print View

Gear list for a 3day, 2night hike in April.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=paQVKBSRdeFZxj32kHeMeJg

Matt Vandenberg
(matty204) - F
gear list on 02/01/2009 14:25:15 MST Print View

any comments? or anyways i could go lighter?

Chris Morgan
(ChrisMorgan) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Spring Gear List on 02/01/2009 14:48:12 MST Print View

Location, temps?

Jolly Green Giant
(regultr) - MLife

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com
Re: Spring Gear List on 02/01/2009 15:59:09 MST Print View

Well, it looks like you want a response and it doesn’t seem the BPL community is being much of a help. Course, it is Super Bowl Sunday, so I’ll give it my non-solicited watching football response. You and I share similar equipment, but I don’t know where you’re going or what temperatures you'll encounter, so I might be off with my comments:

Do you need the down pants? I’ve found I can wear just SmartWool long underwear just fine into the 30’s and possibly lower. Insulated pants are really for below freezing.

Do you need the full net bivy? In many places, bugs just won’t be a problem, and if they are, a headnet would be lighter. Most bug bivy’s are too restrictive anyway.

Do you need two pads? Talk with GG and they’ll tell you that Glen uses his single pad down to fairly low temperatures. Having given it a shot myself, I’d agree.

Do you need sunglasses? If you are somewhere other than dense forests, you’ll need them, so I’m just throwing this out there.

Nice list though.

Good luck.

Edited by regultr on 02/01/2009 17:34:34 MST.

Matt Vandenberg
(matty204) - F
gearlist on 02/01/2009 23:34:23 MST Print View

thanks for the comments, im in manitoba, canada (theres my excuse for not realizing everyones watching the superbowl :P). The temps at night will probably get to around 0 to -5C, last year around this time i went out and i was cold in my montbell #3 bag with base layers (Capilene 2).

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Spring gear list on 02/02/2009 06:56:40 MST Print View

Your list looks very similar to my mild winter list (I'm in South Carolina). You may not be getting many comments because that list is pretty buttoned up. There's always something to criticize but anything I'd add is personal taste only. Go have fun!

Jeremy Gustafson
(gustafsj) - MLife

Locale: Minneapolis
Re: Spring Gear List on 02/02/2009 09:23:49 MST Print View

I second that your list is pretty tight...

I agree that the down pants might be overkill unless you need them to supplement your sleeping bag. My recent October trip saw temps down to 20F/-6C and I was fine with wind pants and long underwear as long as the rest of my body was covered well. Hats, gloves, good warm vest and high calorie food make you feel a lot warmer with no need for the insulated pants.

Jeremy Gustafson
(gustafsj) - MLife

Locale: Minneapolis
RE:Spring Gear List on 02/02/2009 09:27:50 MST Print View

I should add that I did wear lightweight polyester pants that have better wind resistant and insulation value that my rei sahara pants...

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
spring gear list on 02/02/2009 19:24:21 MST Print View

ABOUT YOUR CONSUMABLES data:

140 ounces of food fuel and water.
that's 8 pounds 12 ounces.

2 liters of water is 70.4 ounces.
leaving 69.6 ounces for food and fuel.

3 days of food should equal (approx.) 1.5 pounds (24 oz.) per person per day. 24 x 3 = 72 oz and that doesn't fit you numbers... It leaves no room for fuel.

Question, what's your food breakdown? Are you taking LESS than 24 oz per day (if so, right on!)

Also - Why carry two liters of water? Manitoba in spring should have lots of water running. Easy to walk from water source to water source. You should minimize how much water you carry. It's a real skill and it can be super valuable.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"Spring Gear List" Water teqnuiqes on 02/02/2009 19:28:18 MST Print View

Like Mike said, try to minimize the amount of water taken.

Also, try "cameling up" on water and food a few days before (and before you start hiking) the trip to make sure you're hydrated and full when you start!

Cheers

Matt Vandenberg
(matty204) - F
water breakdown on 02/02/2009 20:41:05 MST Print View

Thanks for the comments!

My food/water i just estimated, i wasn't really concerned about those numbers so im probably off a bit. I also put 2L of water just so i knew the max that id be carrying. I usually only have one platy filled, theres always a lake nearby here.

Matt Vandenberg
(matty204) - F
pack on 03/06/2009 23:29:52 MST Print View

I've decided to get an exodus instead of the jam2, do you guys think i could get away with the prophet though? I want there to be enough room for a 5 day trip max, this gear list would be the most weight id be carrying since its early spring. I can get down to 5lbs in summer. What do you think?