Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"Engineering" issue with my pack
Display Avatars Sort By:
Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
"Engineering" issue with my pack on 01/28/2009 20:27:25 MST Print View

I've decided to try to make use of my old Jannd Zoor Alpinist pack for local hikes since the fabric is so durable for our bushwhacking chaparral adventures. The pack is frameless.

I loaded up my gear and put it on the scale. Dry, it's 12lbs. I put it on, but it feels nearly as awful as it did when it weighed 30lbs with food and water when I used it for 400 miles on the PCT last year before giving up in agony. I think what happens is the pack leans backwards away from my body. I've tried tightening various straps but can't seem to fix it. I can't seem to bring it against my upper shoulders.

Since you guys sew and design things, maybe you can help me. What, engineering-wise, causes a pack to lean way back away from the body like that and what might I do to fix it?

Ashley Brown
(ashleyb) - F
Re: "Engineering" issue with my pack on 01/28/2009 20:31:46 MST Print View

Some pics would be good!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Engineering on 01/28/2009 20:44:02 MST Print View

Sounds like it needs load lifters. But I have to ask.....why are you still trying to make this thing work. Do we need to have an intervention, start a new pack fund?

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

I hate to waste it on 01/28/2009 21:12:45 MST Print View

I hate to waste it. Plus I enjoy a project. But yeah, you're probably right.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Engineering on 01/28/2009 21:21:15 MST Print View

As an engineer, I recommend buying a women's jam2 for $52 to use while you work on your project, saving yourself a pound and a half. Then think EBay. Sometimes a pack just doesn't fit your body type. And keep telling yourself "400 miles......."

Edited by skinewmexico on 01/28/2009 21:25:44 MST.

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: I hate to waste it on 01/28/2009 22:19:05 MST Print View

Diane,
You're new here and your not a gotta-have-it-latest-new-gear-freak guy, but... You can never have too many packs, tents, stoves, wind shirts, etc... Besides, there are a ton of really great pack designs out there. Some at a really reasonable price. Go for it. You can always loan your old pack out. Or, as suggested, sell it.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: "Engineering" issue with my pack on 01/29/2009 02:19:41 MST Print View

Photos of it on you loaded essential.

Cheers

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

You're right on 01/29/2009 08:53:54 MST Print View

You're right. Project aborted. My birthday is coming up and Gossamer Gear is having a sale...

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Project aborted on 01/29/2009 08:57:20 MST Print View

Send my Mariposa+ back to GG yesterday for a retrofit. Great guys.