Forum Index » Gear Lists » 2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries on 12/14/2005 00:03:41 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries

Use this thread for open discussion and evaluation of contest entries.

Edited by ryan on 12/14/2005 00:05:27 MST.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: 2005 Backpacking Light Trip Planning Spreadsheet Contest Entries on 12/14/2005 04:54:11 MST Print View

after skimming the entries, I see that many people included their gear. Were we suposed to do this? I thought it was ment to help people to plan their lists?

everyone did a nice job, good luck.

P.S. this was my first experience with this software so I dont really expect to win :-) so good luck to all...again

John S.
(jshann) - F
? on 12/14/2005 07:17:57 MST Print View

Meir Gottleib and Ben Tomsky links seem wrong?

Edited by jshann on 12/14/2005 07:54:19 MST.

Carol Corbridge
(ccorbridge) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Spreadsheets on 12/14/2005 09:43:01 MST Print View

Wow! Lots of work went into these. On first review I really like David Lewis's sheet. It's simple elegance appeals to me. And I am appreciate the nod from Alice P. Neuhauser. I'm glad my sheet was of use.

One thing I like to see in a gear spreadsheet is the ability to do (2) people side by side. The one I currently use can do this. I often backpack with a partner and so we share cooking and safety items.

Anyway, impressive work by all. I'm sure 100's of hours were put into this task.

David Johnston
(dsjtecserv) - MLife
Spreadsheets on 12/14/2005 10:19:04 MST Print View

Ryan F:

I had the same question as I was preparing my spreadsheet. So I cheated and submitted both a blank one and an example one with my gear filled in.

Yes, there does seem to be a problem with the links to the last two entries. Some great ideas to borrow from, and some very skilled execution went into these. Kudos to everybody!

Dave

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
have you fed your Spreadsheet today? on 12/14/2005 10:38:34 MST Print View

I also like the David Lewis submission for it's simplicity
and easy metric to imperial conversion. Works well in NeoOffice which is rapidly becoming my favorite alternative to MicroSquash.

The Jim Woods submission isn't opening properly from the link but do have it from another source.

John Shannon's isn't downloading at all--I get a screen full of code.

update--Alles schön, at this point all links work.

Edited by kdesign on 12/14/2005 16:05:35 MST.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Kevin on 12/14/2005 14:01:53 MST Print View

Kevin, are you using a mac? If so, try dragging the file onto the icon instead of double clicking the file. See if that works.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

re.Kevin on 12/14/2005 14:13:40 MST Print View

John--it won't download at all. Same as the 2 entries below you. I can't bring it to the desktop. Nothing to drag.

Yes--on a Mac running Tiger.

John S.
(jshann) - F
I see on 12/14/2005 14:29:01 MST Print View

I see what you mean. It does the same thing on mine if I click the file name. Try right clicking and saving or press the option key before clicking to force a download to the hard drive.

Edited by jshann on 12/14/2005 14:31:03 MST.

Kenneth Knight
(kenknight) - MLife

Locale: SE Michigan
Download troubles on 12/14/2005 14:43:01 MST Print View

If you just get code on a page (e.g., John Shannon's files) try right-clicking (control-clicking) on the link and downloading directly to a file. The "problem" some of you are having is that your browsers don't recognize the file extension and so get confused.

The broken links for Meir Gottleib and Ben Tomsky should work now.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

spreedsheet downloading blues on 12/14/2005 15:18:04 MST Print View

Thanks John and Kenneth. Got it.
Nice SS, John.

Mark Cooper
(Coop) - F
No Entry for Coop? on 12/14/2005 18:53:48 MST Print View

Thanks for the hard work guys. There are some great ideas in these spreadsheets.

I don't see my entry listed here. Did I miss the cutoff or is it for members only?

Kenneth Knight
(kenknight) - MLife

Locale: SE Michigan
New links on 12/14/2005 23:33:04 MST Print View

We've added zip files (.zip) versions for the larger spreadsheets and those that came in bunches.

Bob Gabbart
(bobg) - F
Re: New links on 12/15/2005 06:10:02 MST Print View

Thanks Ken! That's a big help.

Bob

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: spreedsheet downloading blues on 12/15/2005 18:12:55 MST Print View

Thanks Kevin.

---------
Kevin said,

Thanks John and Kenneth. Got it.
Nice SS, John.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

NeoOffice and Analysis ToolPak on 12/15/2005 21:28:53 MST Print View

Is there a NeoOffice equivalent to the Excel feature--
"Analysis ToolPak"?

The Gottlieb spreadsheet has some very desirable features but I really want a spreadsheet that works in the NeoOffice environment. I have not been able to take advantage of the best parts of Meir's entry.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

John Shannon's Spreadsheet on 12/15/2005 22:56:41 MST Print View

John, working in NeoOffice, how do I add additional rows and maintain full functionality in the cells? Such as weight conversion and adding?

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: John Shannon's Spreadsheet on 12/16/2005 05:12:03 MST Print View

Adding a row:

1. Insert row- Place cursor (highlites the cell) in area you want to add a row. The row will be added above where you place the cursor. Then go to insert menu and select row.
2. Copy correct format- Since the added row won't have the appropriate formatting, choose a nearby row (preferably blank), select that row from columns B through K, and copy using either the edit menu or command-C on the keyboard.
3. Paste correct format- Paste the copied cells into the newly added row by selecting the new row from columns B through K and using either the edit menu or command-V on the keyboard.

That should automatically update the the unit conversion and total formulas. Make sure it does though.

Edited by jshann on 12/16/2005 08:04:47 MST.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Input on John Shannon's entry on 12/16/2005 14:03:10 MST Print View

John--I really like how straight forward your spreadsheet is. But with useful metric/imperial abilities and displays of the various weight summaries
we UL'ers are most concerned about.

One improvement I would like to see is the ability to see quick subtotals for each individual category (cooking, xtra clothing,etc.). How hard would that be to implement?
Also, the weight summary would be better expressed in exact lbs.-oz./ kg-g. units. I prefer measures more exact than rounded to nearest tenth of the larger unit of measurement.

Edited by kdesign on 12/16/2005 14:57:45 MST.

Meir Gottlieb
(mcg11) - M
CONVER in NeoOffice on 12/16/2005 20:58:23 MST Print View

Kevin,

I don't have NeoOffice, but this thread might help:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2141

Looks like the CONVERT_ADD function may do the trick.

Edited by mcg11 on 12/16/2005 20:58:54 MST.