Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Point Reyes, January 24th and 25th
Display Avatars Sort By:
Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Point Reyes, January 24th and 25th 2009 on 01/25/2009 16:29:13 MST Print View

The much discussed Point Reyes trip took place this weekend! Tony Wong will provide the "official" trip report after he finds time to sort through the 500+ photos he took. In the meantime...

Twelve people attended, but I can only remember 11 names right now (my apologies to the 12th, I'm really bad with names). At any rate, a good time was had by:

Ken Helwig
Joshua Billings
Jay Wilkerson
Ken Thompson
Casey Bowden
Jeremy Pendrey
Tony Wong
Cary Bertoncini
Nate Meinzer
Will
Cameron Kennedy

Everyone but me hiked into Wildcat on Saturday from the south via the Palomarin trailhead and exited Sunday at the Bear Valley Visitor Center trailhead.

I opted to come and go from the east via fireroads on my bicycle. My route was 6.5 miles each way, starting at elevation 250 at the Five Brooks trailhead, topping out at elevation 1,324 before dropping down to sea level at the campsite. The ride took me 45 minutes each way and was a blast due to the long downhill sections at the end of each day.

It was overcast and windy all Saturday but the weather changed for the better and we had blue skies on Sunday.

This was my first time meeting any of these upstanding citizens and I was surprised to find Jay much mellower than my preconceived notion based on his posts while Ken Helwig was just the opposite. He had us in stiches all night and made sure no one in our group, or anyone else in Wildcat, went to bed before 11 pm.

I'll post a few of the less than 10 photos I took soon. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Edited by clbowden on 01/25/2009 16:36:00 MST.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
You forgot on 01/25/2009 17:34:16 MST Print View

Lane!

Though, I can't remember last names, so impressive list.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Point Reyes, January 24th and 25th 2009 on 01/25/2009 18:01:51 MST Print View

Casey,

It was more like 254 photos and I am sure that a vast majority of them won't make the cut for the photo essay.

To everyone....it was great to meet you all and to put a face to the names that I have seen here.

Now I know how to submit the paperwork for those restraining order that will be delivered to each of you gear lovin, backpacking freaks! :)

Really enjoyed the trip and spending some good gear geeking time with my fellow BPLers.

Time to think about the next trip: Yosemite Hetch Hetchy Reservoir- Rancharia.

Anyway, I am off to wash the mud off my clothes and to enjoy a hot shower!

-Tony

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Not us on 01/25/2009 21:47:37 MST Print View

Had a blast! Thanks again all for a great trip. Those who bailed missed a great floor show! Felt bad for this group, saw them when I first got there. Knew immediately, not my group heavyweight

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
point reyes on 01/26/2009 00:32:49 MST Print View

great photo.

no wonder that if you stealth camp out of a golite ion, no one will bat an eye at you or ask for a permit.

i LOVE people carrying 50 pound packs for a weekend trip!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Not us on 01/26/2009 01:54:34 MST Print View

Hey Ken - you really had me worried there for a moment (they CAN'T be BPL members!) until I read your text!

We need a similar group photo from Tony for comparison. :-)

Cheers

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Re: Re: Not us on 01/26/2009 08:52:04 MST Print View

One is on its way Roger!

Edited by kennyhel77 on 01/26/2009 13:22:19 MST.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Pt. Reyes on 01/26/2009 09:49:33 MST Print View

What a fun group of UL backpackers. I have never had so much fun just talking about GEAR.. It was great to see everyone come out of there INTERVERTED shells. Can't wait for the next hike. "High Five"P1240557P1240558

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Pt. Reyes on 01/26/2009 10:57:13 MST Print View

To everyone who went out on the trip, I need your help!

Apparently, my camera was set to video mode while Denis was taking photos of us at the trail head on the step facing Denis.

Could someone send me a PM and I will reply back with my email address so that they can send me that photo?

Thanks!

-Tony

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Re: Pt. Reyes on 01/26/2009 13:24:21 MST Print View

Got your Pm Tony, I will send you the photo this evening

Jeremy Pendrey
(Pendrey) - MLife

Locale: California
Good times on 01/26/2009 13:48:46 MST Print View

It was great meeting all of you fellow Nor Cal UL'ers this past weekend. It was very cool seeing all the various UL shelters and gear. I've never seen so much Dyneema in one place.
Time to plan the next trip. I know Ken H. was talking Rancheria Falls / Hetch Hetchy in April.

And again I got away without bringing a camera . . .

For those who didn't go:
Trip highlights:
lightest shelter: Cameron's cuben fiber MLD Monk tarp
farthest distance traveled: Ken Thompson from Fortuna, CA, which might as well be in Oregon (or "Jefferson" or whatever they call themselves up there)
heaviest piece of gear: Cary's box of 3 liters of wine, which came in somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 pounds, but of course was weightless on the way out, so maybe he wins for lightest piece of gear too.
spirit award: Nate and Will with Christmas lights on their Go Lite Hut 2.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: best navigation: Ken T. and Josh for getting out ahead of us and then taking the "scenic route" back to the car (showing up an hour later than us "stragglers").

Edited by Pendrey on 01/26/2009 13:51:20 MST.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Spirit Award on 01/26/2009 14:07:05 MST Print View

for Lightest pack goes to you Jeremy, I believe, for coming in ~13 lbs.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Re: Good times on 01/26/2009 14:07:42 MST Print View

Good time indeed....more like, "When ULer's go bad!" :)

Jeremy is being modest/humble, but his pack won the distinction of being the lightest at 13 lbs and he was carrying a bottle of wine in a platypus.

I am going to quickly plow through my photos can digitally clean them up in Photoshop Elements with the idiot quick fix feature and then toss them up with minimal text.

I will leave it to members of the group to add their own comments....hehehe.

-Tony

Denis Hazlewood
(redleader) - MLife

Locale: Luxury-Light Luke on the Llano Azul
Re: Re: Good times on 01/26/2009 18:11:49 MST Print View

I wasn't able to hike with the group, but showed up to meet some of the NoCa BPL group. This is a photo I took at the end of the hike.

BPL Hikers at Point Reyes
The NoCa BPL lineup (The Usual Suspects). Someone with a better memory can put names to the faces.

Tony will have a full report and photos.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Pt. Reyes on 01/26/2009 19:47:12 MST Print View

Thanks for all your help Dennis!!!

-Jay

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: Pt. Reyes on 01/28/2009 09:02:33 MST Print View

Nice to hear everything worked out. Sounds like you guys had a good time. I look forward to reading the trip report and see the photos.

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Re: Point Reyes, January 24th and 25th 2009 on 01/28/2009 09:46:54 MST Print View

Trip reports and photos are in the Photo Section

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Done Posting Point Reyes Trip Report on 01/30/2009 00:00:58 MST Print View

Some 100 photos of this trip are now posted in the photo gallery.

Please come see what happens when light weight backpackers go bad...

-Tony

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
those who met Lane at Pt. Reyes & are interested: on 02/09/2009 13:25:15 MST Print View

He will be appearing on Huell Howser's "California Gold" tomorrow evening, Tuesday Feb 10, at 7pm PST (KVIE Channel 6 around Norcal) - episode includes the towns of Smartsville and Timbuktu (Lane recently co-authored a book about this area)

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Pt. Reyes--Lane Parker on 02/09/2009 14:51:08 MST Print View

Thanks Cary, I will check it out!!