Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland
Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland on 01/20/2009 20:39:21 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland

John Haley
(Quoddy) - F

Locale: New York/Vermont Border
Re: Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland on 01/21/2009 15:57:44 MST Print View

Great photos, Chris. I never had the opportunity to hike that area except in the summer. It looks as good in the winter as it did in the summer greenery.

Peter Atkinson
(sewing_machine) - MLife

Locale: Yorkshire, England
Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland on 01/22/2009 02:01:30 MST Print View

Yeh, it's a great part of the world; Chris capture's it really well with his imagary and words. I've had some fantastic times in the Cairngorms:Cairngorms winter '08

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Locale: Cairngorms National Park
Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland on 01/22/2009 05:11:53 MST Print View

Thanks for the comments John and Peter. Peter, that's a good photo - it really captures the vastness of the high Cairngorms.

Joe Westing
(pedro87) - F
Re: Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland on 01/22/2009 15:45:46 MST Print View

Wow, gorgeous photos. You are lucky to be near such amazing terrain.

Edited by pedro87 on 01/22/2009 15:46:16 MST.

John Manning
(pctjohnbadger) - F - M

Locale: Stainforth
Winter 'Gorms... almost as good as Hardcastle Crags! on 01/23/2009 08:24:16 MST Print View

Splendid photos Chris - what a contrast between these and your autumn Cairngorm photo essay. Could be different planets. I've been through the 'Gorms many times but never enjoyed that much snow - how fortunate you are to be on the doorstep.

Marianne van Ginhoven
(mvanginhoven)

Locale: The Netherlands
Photos Winter In Cairngorms on 01/25/2009 10:30:37 MST Print View

They are wonderful photos, but might it be possible to show as a slide show together with the commentary? That would be nicer to watch.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland on 01/26/2009 15:47:01 MST Print View

Nice photos. They're more inspiration to me, and I'm sure others, to get out in the cold!

Your description speaks of 100+ mph winds and cliffs hidden by clouds not to mention not much daytime hours. Ironically, such adverse conditions produced really beautiful pictures.

I'd believe that this series combined with your Fall article has the potential to increase Scotland's tourism. Beam me up, Scotty!

Norman Bradley
(NormanB) - F

Locale: New York
Caringorms in Winter on 01/26/2009 20:24:52 MST Print View

Chris, great photos.
I thought it was a pretty desolate place in the summer. Some of these pics make it look a bit like the South Pole.

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Winter in Cairngorms National Park, Scotland on 01/27/2009 10:30:11 MST Print View

Thanks for all your comments, everybody.

I think the Cairngorm Plateau does look more desolate in summer than winter. I think it's beautiful in both seasons.

At present there is more snow on the plateau than in the pictures and I am hoping to be ski touring up there later this week.

Edited by Christownsend on 01/28/2009 12:49:32 MST.

Jonas Bodenäs
(greenjuice) - MLife

Locale: Scania (Skåne)
The Camera? on 01/31/2009 09:13:46 MST Print View

Woow, what beautiful photos over the landscapes in Scotland. I've been once in Scotland where I walked at the West Highland Way.

I wonder one thing, according to your blog. You used Sigma DP1, right? What did you think about it? Is the camera suitable for nature photography generally?

Chris Townsend
(Christownsend) - MLife

Camera on 01/31/2009 10:32:06 MST Print View

Th DP1 produces great results - the best from any compact - but is slow so it's very much a landscape camera and not an action one. It also has a fixed focal length lens rather than a zoom. My review of the DP1 should appear on BPL soon.