Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Podcast: Alpacka Packraft Safety Design Features
Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Podcast: Alpacka Packraft Safety Design Features on 01/20/2009 20:39:00 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Podcast: Alpacka Packraft Safety Design Features

Jerry Cagle
(xclimber) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: Podcast: Alpacka Packraft Safety Design Features on 01/22/2009 21:20:24 MST Print View

...hmm... Too bad this, and the last several podcasts, haven't been showing up in the iTunes feed. I would love to be able to load them to my Shuffle...

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Re: Podcast: Alpacka Packraft Safety Design Features on 02/03/2009 18:56:24 MST Print View

I've never found Alpacka wet exits to be anything other than "automatic." Maybe in my case it's the 200lb object steering the raft, but the velcro-secured spraydeck never fails to disengage itself before the raft is even beyond 90 degrees. I then fall out, generally alongside the raft, head upright and legs down. As the velcro wears, the odds of a problematic exit would seem to become even less likely, though I'd be interested to hear what experiences others have had, especially those with less dead weight in the boat!

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Re: Podcast: Alpacka Packraft Safety Design Features on 02/03/2009 19:16:32 MST Print View

Jerry, try right-clicking on the Download link alongside the BPL media player, 'Save Link As.' Then in iTunes select File > Add File to Library, and copy or Sync the mp3 podcast to your iPod.

Carol Crooker
(cmcrooker) - MLife

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA
Falling out of boat - not on 02/03/2009 20:04:53 MST Print View

I've only had one unintentional wet exit. I had to deliberately reach for and find the grab loop to open the spray deck. I didn't connect with the loop on the first pass. I've attached a whiffle golf ball to the loop to make it easier to find underwater.

What I'll have to try is to practice wet exit without using the grab loop to figure out how best to push off to get out of the deck.

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Re: Falling out of boat - not on 02/03/2009 20:31:46 MST Print View

I usually keep the upper part of the spray deck, the torso portion, open, mostly because it's a little tight fitting to seal the velcro all the way up to the elastic & toggle closure, especially when wearing a foam PFD. (Really only a 43 chest / 35 waist here)

I wouldn't be surprised if a full closure would be less inclined to open of its own accord, especially for lighter folks.

The wiffle golf ball idea sounds like a good added safety feature.