Forum Index » GEAR » condensation inside PacLite?

Display Avatars Sort By:
ivo zlatinov
(ivaylo) - F
condensation inside PacLite? on 12/08/2005 14:33:14 MST Print View

This is a question for the gurus, the scenario follows:

~65-70F, biking in moderate steady rain w/ PacLite top + bottom shell, no overheating (base layers dry). Rain beads beautifully on shells, under feels dry and comfortable. Some time after arriving home / at work i check the shells and see they are damp inside, especially in the sleeves and bottom of legs, really a wet layer / film. Butt + back are dry / no wet film.

Is this condensation or can the shells be leaking? why would there be condensation if i didn't overheat / sweat? can this be condensation caused from differences in temps outside and inside? How to avoid this in the future?

thank you very much!
ivo

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: condensation inside PacLite? on 12/08/2005 15:54:50 MST Print View

This is might be insensible perspiration condensing on the cool inner surface of the jacket.

I found the following expanation of types of perspiration here

We perspire in two different ways. Sensibly and insensibly. Sensible perspiration is sweat that is excreted in large amounts and is noticeably moist on the skin. Insensible perspiration is sweat that evaporates from the skin before it becomes moisture and we are therefore unaware of it.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: Re: condensation inside PacLite? on 12/08/2005 16:08:38 MST Print View

I dont know if leaking is your problem, but if it is you may solve it by sealing the seams in the shoulders, if not you may find modifing your jacket to include pit zips improves ventilation.

since the moisture was mostly in the sleeves and legs, there may be water coming in from the openings in the cuffs, elastic may solve this problem, or even a ruber band around the rists and ankles.

Edited by ryanf on 12/08/2005 16:13:13 MST.

ivo zlatinov
(ivaylo) - F
thank you on 12/08/2005 16:16:25 MST Print View

Jim - thanks for this, probably this is the answer I was looking for

Ryan: thanks for the tips; the seams on both pieces are taped already and i have pit zips (as well as core pockets) which I use; the shells also have elastics / cuff tabs but I wore them a bit loose so this could explain the dampness build-up there

cheers
Ivo

Edited by ivaylo on 12/08/2005 16:19:17 MST.

Inaki Diaz de Etura
(inaki) - MLife

Locale: Iberia highlands
Re: condensation inside PacLite? on 12/09/2005 04:42:08 MST Print View

When biking, the arms are most exposed to the wind and convective heat loss, maybe that's why your insensible perspiration condensed there where the shell fabric had a lower temperature