November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Arizona groups, clubs, or...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sharon Bingham
(lithandriel) - F - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Arizona groups, clubs, or... on 01/16/2009 10:19:43 MST Print View

Not sure if this is the correct place to post, so I apologize in advance if it isn't...

I moved to Tucson about a year ago. I'm an inexperienced backpacker who would really like to find a group (or even just a few people) in the area that I could go on a trip or two with to get some experience. (It'd be nice if I could also just make some friends who I can share my interest with.) I'm a little apprehensive about taking off on my own my first time...

In Maine, there was an Outdoor Adventure club that I joined, but I really haven't found anything like that out here. There seem to be some hiking clubs, but they tend to focus on day hikes, and I haven't seen any that mention ultra-light backpacking.

Can anyone point me in a good direction? Or feel like planning a trip with me? :)

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
AZ on 01/16/2009 10:26:25 MST Print View

congrats on moving to the most beautiful state in the country. you can join the Arizona Backpacking Club on (where I am also a trip planner/hike leader) and you can find a bazillion ideas from

see you there!

Sharon Bingham
(lithandriel) - F - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Re: Arizona groups, clubs, or... on 01/16/2009 11:34:34 MST Print View

Thanks Michael!

I went and registered.

Having a hard time finding that specific group though.

When I searched for "backpackering", I found "Tucson Backpackers", and the "Southern Arizona Adventure Company".

Should I use another search term?

Brett Tucker
(blister-free) - F

Locale: Puertecito ruins
Southern Arizona Hiking Club on 01/16/2009 11:56:32 MST Print View

The Southern Arizona Hiking Club ( ) is based right in Tucson, and has regularly scheduled day hikes, overnighters, and occasionally longer trips, both locally and around the state.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
AZ link on 01/16/2009 11:57:20 MST Print View

here's a direct link. my name there is same as this one.

they (we) do several hikes a month, usually all in the SW but sometimes venture into Yosimite, Hawaii, PCT etc..
There are some good ones coming up and a bunch of members are in Tookson. Lots of hikes in Catalinas, Galiuros, Rincons, etc..