Forum Index » GEAR » Question for solo double wall tent users

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Question for solo double wall tent users on 01/15/2009 08:17:00 MST Print View

I've read that solo double wall tents are tight enough that arms often press into the sides of the tent. When this happens, do your down bags compress and develop cold spots and does moisture form at the contact points?

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Solo Tents on 01/15/2009 08:54:08 MST Print View

If you are looking for a wider double walled solo tent, look at the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. It is much wider for the coffin type solo shelters such as the MSR Hubba, REI QD T1, and SD Velox 1.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Question for solo double wall tent users on 01/15/2009 09:11:27 MST Print View

Also look at the Hilleberg Akto. It is short on head room but nice and wide. I am 6'1" and 215 lbs and do NOT bang the sides of the shelter with my shoulders (part of this is the width in the middle and the side entry). It is about 33" wide when I am horizontal (the shelter is very long) and 36" when I sit up.

I agree to avoid the Hubba / T1, etc. They are incredibly narrow.

SANDRA GILLESPIE KRAMER
(sandykayak) - F

Locale: South Florida
SD Velox 1 on 01/15/2009 09:24:01 MST Print View

And I recently got the SS Velox 1 and hate it. waaay too narrow, condensation (and it was in Florida - no rain - average weather), and awkward to exit.

It has a small "pole" that extends the vestibule, but I couldn't make it stay taut. Guess I need to set it up again and work on that...and my attitude. :)

Tried to return but vendor said, "No, cos it had been used."

sandy in miami

Jonathan Boozer
(anywayoutside) - MLife

Locale: South East
Re: SD Velox 1 on 01/15/2009 09:32:56 MST Print View

Sandy...can I ask if it was an online retailer you purchased it from? and if so who?

BTW I felt the same way about the Hubba...as I heard someone say "a nylon coffin".

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Nylon Coffins on 01/15/2009 10:22:29 MST Print View

Nylon coffin (TM) is exactly the term I used to describe the Hubba, the REI T1, and just possibly the Hilleberg Akto (judging from the specs... although I do acknowledge that the floor plan's pentagon shape might give one a feeling of more space).

Answering OP's question, I would be leery of buying any tent where any part of the sleeping bag might come in contact with the walls -- taking into account reasonable sleeper movements as well. I wouldn't worry about cold spots as that requires actual pressing against the tent wall(s) -- but what I would worry about is moisture.

Condensation can form in any tent. A small amount is harmless -- unless your sleeping bag comes in contact -- which can be a real annoyance -- or downright dangerous in cold temps.

Edited by ben2world on 01/15/2009 10:26:02 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Solo Tents on 01/15/2009 10:50:33 MST Print View

Ben, I provided measurements above as to the space. It has a larger floorplan than my Big Agnes Sarvis SL1 did despite the Sarvis listing 25sq feet. The Akto is not 24" wide except at the very end. It's issue is with headroom, although this provides incredible performance in the wind (these have been used on POlar expeditions....).

In addition, the entire door of the inner can be zipped open exposing the huge vestibule, thus providing 50+ inches of elbow room should you desire.

I encourage you to actually get in one ;)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Solo Tents on 01/15/2009 11:02:32 MST Print View

Nah, it wouldn't be appropriate for my three-season needs.

It's not just the relatively narrow floor plan (I used to own a SMD Lunar Solo so I can appreciate the pentagonal floor plan) -- but also the slanting ceilings where you can sit up only under the apex. I need overall roominess -- like the Rainbow or the SL2. I am a space hog, remember? :)

Laurence Beck
(beckla) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: Solo Double Wall Tent on 01/16/2009 16:17:00 MST Print View

I agree with Brad Roger's above. I love my Big Agnes SL1 and I bought it because it is wider than most solo tents. I am 6ft at about 190 so I appreciate the width. I also like to have space for gear. This tent weighs in at 42oz including 8 stakes. I do not use a footprint.

Clifford Sax
(csax6364) - F

Locale: East Sussex
Space Hog on 01/16/2009 21:06:47 MST Print View

Benjamin, For a solo space hog I would have thought that the Hex / Shangri-La 3 can't really be bettered for space/weight ratio. How married are you to the double wall? The Shangri-la offers various components / set up options that might well suit your particular needs.

Edited by csax6364 on 01/16/2009 21:07:34 MST.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F - M

Locale: British Columbia
Question for solo double wall tent users... on 01/17/2009 01:34:50 MST Print View

I've found that sleeping in very narrow mummy bags has made me very conscious of pressure points. I'm more likely to develop cold spots from pressing too tightly from inside the bag (elbows, knees, feet) than I am from contacting the sides of the tent. Like anything else, a narrow tent just takes a bit of time to get used to.

I'm also a fan of the BA Seedhouse solo because it measures around 40 inches across the shoulder area. Sometimes using just floor space measurements can be deceiving... I don't care if the foot area of my tent is narrow as long as I have width across the shoulders and a bit of headroom.

Edited by skopeo on 01/17/2009 20:10:15 MST.