Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting
Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting on 01/13/2009 22:34:09 MST Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
I...... on 01/13/2009 22:52:17 MST Print View

I just don't know what to say.

Adam Kilpatrick
(oysters) - MLife

Locale: South Australia
Obesession... on 01/13/2009 23:47:56 MST Print View

...often comes at the princely price of one's sanity.

Bravo!

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: I...... on 01/14/2009 00:47:23 MST Print View

> I just don't know what to say.

I do ...
but I can't...

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting on 01/14/2009 05:15:17 MST Print View

[tears of laughter running down my face]

No way I can let my family see this article, they'll want to know where I found someone to write that article for me.

I DID almost end up in the hospital after my first return to backpacking trip eight years ago (subtitled "The Pack Mule at age 50")

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
very well done! on 01/14/2009 08:12:56 MST Print View

This was an excellent article. A new monthly column?

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting on 01/14/2009 08:28:06 MST Print View

I think this came a bit early - the first of April is still a few months off.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting on 01/14/2009 08:40:36 MST Print View

I'm speechless too.

Sigmund Freud

Edited by jshann on 01/14/2009 08:41:10 MST.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting on 01/14/2009 15:15:14 MST Print View

WOW!

Another speechless reader.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting on 01/14/2009 15:46:25 MST Print View

Let me understand this.

Did the author of this article just write an essay documenting for the world a declaration that he has funded all of his backpacking purchases with counterfeit money from a printing press built by his relative???

Edited by Valshar on 01/14/2009 15:50:16 MST.

Judi Henson
(ritzhenson) - F

Locale: The Deep South
Busted! on 01/14/2009 16:05:37 MST Print View

That's what it sounds like to me...So, where does your Grasshopper Uncle live again?

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Macro Economics on 01/14/2009 17:43:03 MST Print View

Tony and Judith, I can't say I pretend to understand economic theory, but my uncle explains that the Treasury Dept actually (tacitly) encourages what they call the "orderly entrepreneurial enhancement of the monetary supply". What they object to is sudden, dislocating currency infusions. So, for example, when I suggested to him that we might let everyone at BPL use the machine, he explained (with a stiff left hook) "Now that would be getting greedy, wouldn't it?" The orderly, low key use of his machine stimulates the economy and saves the treasury dept the cost of printing and distributing extra currency. After all, my uncle says, where do I think the money for the current economic stimulus packages is going to come from?

David Gore
(davgor) - MLife

Locale: Central CA Coast
RE: "Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting" on 01/14/2009 17:46:52 MST Print View

Thanks BPL editorial staff for printing the funniest thing I've read all day. Its style reminds me of books authored by Tom Robbins, whose paperbacks have on occasion gone into my pack. In all cases, well done, Mr. Sweeney.

Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Re: RE: "Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting" on 01/14/2009 20:27:40 MST Print View

Tony, I'm confused too.

The accountant here is still trying to figure out if we have to report Jim's purchases as ... legal sales ... to the IRS ...!

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Lightweight Testimony-Jim Sweeney on 01/14/2009 20:54:44 MST Print View

There is a lot to think about in his article and then agian there is not. SPOOF!! UL is a waste of time-Right!!

John Whynot
(jdw01776)

Locale: Southeast Texas
Re: Lightweight Testimony-Jim Sweeney on 01/14/2009 21:04:13 MST Print View

Will there be a sequel on April 1st?

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment on 01/17/2009 21:57:09 MST Print View

ROTFL!

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: Lightweight Testimony: Jim Sweeney's Enlightenment via Lead Weights, Helium Balloons, and Yachting on 01/20/2009 15:03:00 MST Print View

Hard to believe this article wasn't listed as members only. To think I skipped over the Cowboy Coffee article for this.