Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking? on 01/16/2009 05:54:09 MST Print View

Haven't read much of this thread because while I might be influenced by arbitrary external standards, I'm not inclined to abide by them.

But maybe I can inject a bit of humor?

Edited by jcolten on 01/16/2009 05:55:29 MST.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: XUL - A new standard for Lightweight Backpacking or Dead Man Walking?? on 01/16/2009 06:41:32 MST Print View

>Alan was lucky this time and I hope his luck holds out. I would rather trust my life to a more reasonable gear list and not to luck.

I think that's a bit dramatic. Given the possible weather conditions, the geographic situation of his hike, his gear, and his experience, I just don't see any reasonable scenario where Alan wouldn't have made it out alive.

If something had gone wrong would he have been (X)tremely uncomfortable, or forced to ditch early? Sure. But dead? No.

There's no more damning criticism you can make of an experienced hiker than to say to they're surviving on luck, and Alan's no neophyte.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
xul/sul/yawn-ul. on 01/16/2009 11:18:24 MST Print View

just fyi, my y-a-w-n was a short version of my thoughts.

the longer version is here's yet another thread with circles of: you are crazy to only carry 4 pounds, you'll die/you'll thrive/you'll challenge yourself, 5.5 lbs isn't XUL it's SUL/simply UL/hyper-light/supera-hyper-light, i could do it lighter/better/faster/smarter, cuben is too light/expensive/fragile/robust, i do/don't learn from XUL.

here are my thoughts. alan's list seems fine (though probably uncomfortable at night and/or in colder rain) for a few day trip in relatively mild weather. he's got shelter, rain gear, sleeping "bag"/insulating garment, stove, etc. 75 miles in three days isn't a death march by any stretch, at least for lots of people - it's 8-9 hours of hiking (on reasonable trail). there's lots of interesting and insightful cross-pollination between the fantatic fringe and the rest of us, regardless of what XUL/SUL/hyperlight/UL means to you. the fanatic fringe is definitely as exercise in diminishing returns from a practical standpoint - i definitely notice a difference between 8 pounds and 15 pounds in a 30+ mile day, but i doubt i'd care much between 4 and 5.

okay... continue.