Sigma DP2
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ed Tyanich
(runsmtns) - F - M
Sigma DP2 on 01/09/2009 18:46:05 MST Print View

Anybody here planning on trying the Sigma DP2 when it becomes available next month? A description of the differebce between the DP1 and DP2 is as follows from my contact person at Sigma:

"The difference between the DP1 and the DP2, which should be available in February of this year, is a new processor to enhance its speed and a longer focal length; the DP1 currently has a wide angle lens. Those are the main changes."

The processor speed would be a plus, but for me, I prefer the wide angle lens. Both models will continue but I wonder how long before the DP1 gets a makeover with the faster processor.

Also wondering how the DP1 compares to the Panasonic LX3 from those that have used both.

Ed

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Sigma DP2 on 01/09/2009 22:26:51 MST Print View

Hi Ed,

I'm not in the market for either Sigma, but I would wait to see whether the DP1 is blessed with the hardware enhancements of the DP2 before choosing. I agree that the WA lens is a big plus for the DP1, especially for landscapes. We've had a DP1 orbiting among the BPL staff and it's a singularly impressive compact camera with no equal in its class.

I've been using an LX3 for a brief time and am very happy with it, but it's not equal to the Sigma in image quality (it's also nearly half the price). Actually, it's better than the Sigma in low light, but not in daylight.

I would probably have gone for a DP1 had the ยต4/3 standard not been announced last summer, but am now content to wait for Oly's take on the system, which will likely be out Q3 of this year. I suspect that's the future of lightweight backpacking photography.

So many toys, so few shekels.

Cheers,

Rick